Trouble pushing down on shifter into neutral

Shouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GL - 185k
Trouble pushing down on shifter for reverse

Been having a growing issue here for some time. Pushing down on the shifter before transitioning to reverse is simply not working. I have to wiggle it and usually start to push a little to the left before it finally goes down. After that, no issues shifting into reverse.
Same problem coming out of reverse. I have to pull up on the shifter (HARD) to get it to unlock. I have to pull so hard I've ripped the shifter knob right off the shaft.
I tried working it a bit with the car off today. No different w/ engine off. An interesting thing occurred for the first time today. After i disengaged and lifted the shifter knob up, I was still able to shift into reverse. I had to disengage-re-engage a few times for that to correct itself.
I have the dieselgeek short shifter.
Maybe i'm wrong, but this seems like something more towards the inside of the car then the tranny tower? Don't know much about this area, so not sure where to start.
THanks

Last edited:

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I would pull the shift tower and check how gunked up the bushings are. Only takes a few minutes to pull it and then you can also feel how free the cables and mechanisms move.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I'd also think it worthwhile adjusting that linkage.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I would pull the shift tower and check how gunked up the bushings are. Only takes a few minutes to pull it and then you can also feel how free the cables and mechanisms move.
Is that interlock mechanism part of the shift tower? I only thought the cables move the tower when you move it side to side, or forward or back into the gears.

Seems to me the issue is with the actual shifter mechanism.

Shouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GL - 185k
I'm with jokila on this one. I didn't think the pressing down/up on the shifter had any affect on cables and therefore the tower.
Btw I've adjust the linkage many times back when I installed the DG shortshifter. I was told by a local tdi mechanic it seemed fine to him.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
The interlock is definitely not on the transmission. I had the cables adjusted wrong were reverse was were 1rst should and it went into reverse easily when I selected 1rst. Your side to side cable is probably out of adjustment.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
^^^ THIS (good description) is what I was basically getting to.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
The interlock is definitely not on the transmission. I had the cables adjusted wrong were reverse was were 1rst should and it went into reverse easily when I selected 1rst. Your side to side cable is probably out of adjustment.
Which means it could be related to the first gear getter problem.

I would check all the bushings and moving parts of your cable ends, shifter, and shift tower and see if things are worn enough to replace.

Dieselgeek has most of the fixes for you.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
All good advice. I would rule out the shift actuator on the tower. Just get a good look at it, you'll be able to tell if it's broke.

Shouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GL - 185k
Can someone explain how actuating the interlock (not sure if that's the correct term) affects cable travel. I just had someone actuate it for me while i took a look at the cables. I saw a tiiiny movement at best. Just want to make sure we're all on the same page here before i go potentially having to re-re-configure my cables again.

Shouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GL - 185k
Dug into it a little. Noticed a few things.

The interlock actuator has a spring. Removed the spring and noticed there's probably a bushing there that looks like it's in 1million pieces.

Also noticed the main ball had a couple chunks out of it.

Last edited:

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M

runonbeer

TDI
I re-read your post. Sounds like you have also correctly identified the problem.

I guess to me it initially looked like you were just referring to the FGG ball bushing.

Last edited:

runonbeer

TDI
You should probably go ahead and get a set of cable saver bushings and do those while you're at it. Crumbled bushing birds of a feather flock together

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Glad you found the problem. Looks like you already have the first gear getter.

I am not sure if the camera angle is the issue, but the metal plate looks like it's not on all the way.