Fuel filter canister...

steve05ram360

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2D Golf
any reason I cant swap a newer single hole filter housing in for the old style multi-ring filter?

Looking to stick with one style (one hole) and possibly add a drain plug on the bottom for the wifes car (and mine).

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Volkswagen has switched back and forth between the two styles more than once. I see no reason why you couldn't do it also. The only problem would be the cost of the canister and any other mounting hardware that might be different. I'm pretty sure all of the fuel line connections are exactly the same.

Have Fun!

Don

steve05ram360

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2D Golf
Thanks... there are guys local that part VW's out, one of them has a tdi and claims to still have the motor installed so chances are he may still have the canister. I think the mounting could be an issue if the brackets are different

53 willys

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagen TDI~LOVE/HATE~
When I lost my hpfp the dealer replaced my new style canister with the 09 older style...

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
Id be worried about the older canister, the Olympic rings look like they might be easy to monkey up letting crap fuel where it shouldn't be

53 willys

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagen TDI~LOVE/HATE~
I like the older model it has more room in the bottom for water to collect....the newer version has none

steve05ram360

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2D Golf
I like the older model it has more room in the bottom for water to collect....the newer version has none
How many times have you found water in the bottom of the canister? Me?... 300k+ miles on diesels and only 1x did I ever find water during a filter change (on the Ram) and it was very minute. BUT... what you mention does bring up another potential issue with the amount of space for the drain. May have to take the longer olympic ring version and see if the canisters could be swapped, meaning the top & filter I'd like to use on both cars and the longer bottom with the drain.

Last edited: