Loud howling noise at 60MPH

Foiled

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 96, wagon 295K + (sold), Jetta, 05.5 (Sold)
I have a loud howling type noise at 61mph in my 06 Jetta. The noise occurs only at 60mph and it does not matter if I'm in 3rd, 4th or 5th gear. I do not have the noise at any other speed. I do not feel any vibrations at any speed and the brakes do not bind or grab. I do have the EGR hiss that I need to take care of but I dont think its the EGR. I'm not sure what is causing this noise? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Kurt

bigbadfords

TDI
I have this same exact issue with my 06 as well, only difference is that mine is a dsg transmission. I have no idea what the noise is, but its very annoying and it happens at around 65 mph with no vibrations or anything abnormal, just sounds kind of like mud tires humming.....thanks for any info guys.

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently. MK4/5/6 Jetta's in the past.
I have the same droning sound at the same speed. Any gear, and not at any other speed. My EGR has been replaced 35,000 miles ago, so it couldn't be that I wouldn't think.
It's not tires, and it doesn't change no matter how much turning I do in either direction, so I don't think it's a bearing.

Also, if I throw it in neutral, the sound goes away.

Got to be exhaust.

Foiled

Veteran Member
TDI
Good thoughts! I have to get the EGR fixed and listen closer because my wife thinks the exhaust is louder at idle so 60ish mph. Maybe the 60ish is the magic mph for the noise to be heard but ..... then why doesn't the noise change when I drop from 5th to 4th to 3rd going 60 mph? :confused:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Good thoughts! I have to get the EGR fixed and listen closer because my wife thinks the exhaust is louder at idle so 60ish mph. Maybe the 60ish is the magic mph for the noise to be heard but ..... then why doesn't the noise change when I drop from 5th to 4th to 3rd going 60 mph? :confused:
Exhaust drone would be RPM specific, not speed specific.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Could be the front wheel bearings.

suparag

Veteran Member
TDI
None now.
Another vote for wheel bearing. Put the car on jacks and see if there is play laterally. When I took in the car and when it was on the skids there was more than a inch play laterally.

Foiled

Veteran Member
TDI
So, I fixed (permanent) :D my EGR. Then I replaced my right side hub assembly thinking that my noise had to be coming from that bearing. Well, I was wrong because I took it for a ride and the hiss from the EGR was gone :) but the drone noise was still there at around 60 MPH just like before. :mad:

I did a test by downshifting again but the noise was consistant at 60 MPH no matter what gear I was in. I put the car in neutral at 60 MPH and the noise went away. Should I be looking at a half shaft? I inspected all CV boots and did not notice any grease mess at all. :confused:

Any ideas?

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
I still have my droning sound at the same speed. It's going in next week for timing belt, so my Guru is going to look at the sound as well. Sounds like we have identical diagnostics though, so I'll post on here if I figure it out.

Foiled

Veteran Member
TDI
Great, I hope you find out what it is because I cant seem to pinpoint this one. I thought it was the right side front bearing because I saw, what I thought was a small amount of play, on that side while I had the front end up on jack stands and placed it into gear. Anyway, maybe someone else has an idea in the meantime.

FlyBoyOz

TDI
2013 JSW TDI
I just replaced my timing belt and I now have the same droning noise at speed. Not RPM specific. Doesn't matter what gear I am in, including neutral, the noise is present. Sounds like the right side, too. I have a DSG. If you are able to find the noise, please share! :)

Foiled

Veteran Member
TDI
I still have my droning sound at the same speed. It's going in next week for timing belt, so my Guru is going to look at the sound as well. Sounds like we have identical diagnostics though, so I'll post on here if I figure it out.
Sweeps, have you learned anything about the noise yet?

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
My car is with the Guru as we speak....(I have a 2010 Civic Automatic right now as a rental).

Hopefully he can figure it out today or tomorrow......it's getting a timing belt, and SMF Clutch as well, so it'll be in there until tomorrow....

I'll report back.

kevinl

TDI
2005.5 Jetta
i would not over look the rear bearings either. a little slight swaying while it's making the noise would help to unload or load a wheel bearing to help diagnostic the area. even the slant of the road should change the pitch if it's wheel bearing noise..

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
My Guru thinks it's wheel bearings.
They are all back ordered here for whatever reason, so once they come in, I'll go back, and we'll take a closer look.

My noise doesn't change, loading or unloading each side, or the slant of the road, no difference, but he still thinks it's wheel bearings.

On the plus side, my new clutch feels great :)

thirty3

TDI
1.9tdi
There does not have to be play in the bearing for it to have gone.

Another test if there is no lateral play is to jack up...spin the wheel and hold a finger or whatever on the damper/shocker and feel for vibration

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
Update:
My drivers front wheel bearing was in fact toast, completely toast.

However, the droning sound at 60-65mph did not go away.

For now I am stumped....Will continue to troubleshoot, and see what happens.

MonsterTDI09

TDI
Try changing tire pressure and drive on different roads, what type of tires is on the car?

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
Try changing tire pressure and drive on different roads, what type of tires is on the car?

For me, I have Michelin Hydroedge. They have 50,000 miles on them, but still have 7/32 of tread, and have worn perfectly evenly.
I put the pressure at 30psi, at 45psi, and rotated them.
The sound didn't change.

MonsterTDI09

TDI
I reading some reviews on you tires.Most people say they are noisy and a couple said it get louder as they wear out.

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
I reading some reviews on you tires.Most people say they are noisy and a couple said it get louder as they wear out.
Yes I've read the same....and they do make some noise, throughout the speed range, but this noise is completely different from the tire noise that I do hear.

I'm not ruling anything out though.....I just really don't think it's the tires.

Foiled

Veteran Member
TDI
Bringing this thread back because I still have the noise. I have had the tires balanced and checked, replaced one front wheel bearing, deleted the EGR but still have the noise.

Did some more checking and the droning/humming noise is there in each gear at 61-62 MPH however, when I put the car in neutral or push the clutch in the noise goes away.

Looking for more suggestions :confused:

xracerbob

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
It could be a bearing in the differential or transmission. Mine was not making any noise and just let go at 320,000 miles. I have found evidence of other manual transmissions doing the same once over 300k.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Seeing RPMS don't play into it, and bearings are checked out, what else is spinning at 60mph? differential and cv joints? how many miles you have on your ride? maybe a transmission fluid change could help.

tigerkf

I have the same humming noise, however it's at different speeds and is getting worse as time goes on. My EGR was deleted years ago. Both front bearings replaced, both front drive axles replaced. It has a DSG transmission. If I put the car in nuetral (at speed) noise is not as loud even when revving the engine. It seems like the noise is most prevalent when the engine and transmission have a load on them. Pretty sure it's not the tires, any ideas anyone?

Foiled

Veteran Member
TDI
Seeing RPMS don't play into it, and bearings are checked out, what else is spinning at 60mph? differential and cv joints? how many miles you have on your ride? maybe a transmission fluid change could help.
I have 156K miles and, I am planning a fluid change on the trans but I figure that wont help. :(