2004 Jetta GL 5spd 106k DC/VA

usr_bin

TDI
2004 Jetta
I'm considering putting my low mileage BEW TDI up for sale. Apologies for no photos, as I'm not near the car right now, but will get some within the next week. Consider this a feelers post for now, but I wanted to get it out there. Asking $2500.

The good:
- 2004 Jetta GL, 5 speed, only 106k miles. Silver exterior, black cloth interior.
- Never been crashed. It was sideswiped at about 5mph while I was parallel parking many years ago and so the front right quarter panel and hood are not original, but they match perfectly and the paint on them has weathered fine.
- AC, stereo, cruise, etc... all work.
- Engine had a Bosch EGR filter on it for 80% of its life. Put it on at 5k, took it off before the timing belt change, then had a kid and and never had time to put it back on.
- Timing belt replaced at 90k by Wheaton Service Center (well-known TDI gurus in the DC area)
- Tires have less than 15k on them.
- 1 1/4" trailer hitch & light harness.
- All maintenance and recalls performed. I can't prove every single thing with records because I did all my own oil changes, but suffice to say you're buying a car from someone who bothered with an EGR filter and knew better than to take it to a dealer for the timing belt.

The bad:
- Beginnings of some wheel well rust bubbling up in a couple of spots, nothing more than 1/2" in from the edges and it hasn't broken through the paint. This car lived mostly in DC but did go through two Chicago winters.
- Clutch slipped once on me going uphill on a hot day with the car full of luggage. Never had other clutch problems since then (about 10k ago), but I want to be fully honest about the condition.
- Headliner is sagging and needs a shot of adhesive.
- Interior is clean but not spotless. No torn seats or missing bits.
- My short-haired dogs rode in the back seat a lot. Most of the hair has been lint-rollered off, but some of those little hairs are like needles into the fabric.

The ugly:
- A rodent attack chopped two 3-wire engine wiring harnesses, which I have since repaired. No signs of other damage, other than some torn up sound dampening material on the underside of the hood.
- The car is currently garaged out in the Shenandoah Valley and driven on weekends only. I can bring it in to DC for a seriously interested party, but this unfortunately isn't one you can just come over and see tonight.

This car drives perfectly well for its age, and has never let me down. It's time for it to go to someone who will use it for what it's for: getting thousands of insanely-efficient highway miles.

I'm also on the hunt for a small 4WD pickup or something with AWD in the $5k-$8k range, so if you happen have a suitable trade I can make up the difference in cash.

usr_bin

TDI
2004 Jetta
Finally getting back to this and adding some exterior photos. Interior still needs a good shop vac'ing, but as per above it's in fine shape if not totally pristine. Definitely no tears in the seats or major damage to plastic stuff. I also put a new battery in it, as the old one was getting toward the end of its life.

The last picture shows the worst of the wheel well rust. When you get up close you can see some remains of some tree goop and bird poop spots on the paint, but nothing you notice from 10' away.

I'd love to get this car sold over Memorial Day weekend so if you're in the area get in touch and make an offer.

Last edited: