My new 2011 JSW or a british car addict buy buys a practical car.

evilfij

TDI
2011 JSW TDI
First of all, thank you to the TDIclub and its members for contributing to the knowledge base. Without internet forums like this, I don't know what I would do.

Backround: I have been a land rover guy since I was 17. I have owned a couple dozen or so and currently own five (1959 SII 88", 1994 NAS D90, 1995 Range Rover Classic LWB and two bitsa parts 110 hybrid projects) all of which are in various states of being british (ie being [re]built or frequently in need of repair). I also own an old 911, a bmw bavaria, and a lotus (which is also quite british -- ie already got one new motor, might need another new motor). So I decided I would get a practical car (GASP) for my 60 mile a day commute to work and frequent highway trips. I wanted diesel, 4x4, manual transmission, space in the back for stuff and good MPG, with the JSW, I got 3/4 which as is good as I am going to do in the US. I ended up with a platinium grey/titan black car with the protection package (I only wanted front mats but it was this car or a color I did not want).

Initial impressions: the car seems well built, but complicated enough that I am not going to own it past the powertrain warranty (can I extend -- all I am worried about is the HPFP and the motor -- is the HPFP covered by the regular warranty or the powertrain warranty). The interior is very german like and, aside from leather, equal to audi and just shy of MB or BMW. Note the 2011 regular Jetta interior is to a much lower standard.

Driving: torque is great. Aside from the initial off the line accelleration (which I am sure could be overcome by 2k rpm starts), the car drives as good as any gas vehicle. There are two additional issues I have: (1) the fall off in power at the top end encourages frequent shift (indicative of diesel) and (2) IMHO the car is way undersprung creating a wallowing or listing feeling, ironically not present in my 16 and 17 year old land rovers. I have decided that I should enjoy the trip and stop trying to drive it like the lotus.

Issues: None really. The driver aids are annoying. Needing to fetch the screwdriver out of the boot to get the headrests off is annoying. Not being able to fit the outdated nozel in the tank is annoying (it works, but you can only get 5 gallons in until it foams -- ask me how I know).

Anyway, thanks for the resource. I am not sure about posting links to other boards, but I use the same username elsewhere so you can see I am a true addict!

Last edited:

warbird24

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Ah...British Cars. Brings back some nightmares for me! LOL! Lived over in England for 3 years back in the 70's. Drove a lot over there and learned to enjoy small frugal cars that had something different about them.

Good luck with your JSW.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
So a british car nut doesn't want to do regular maintence to keep their car going past warranty? say what? Sounds like you'd be fully capable to keep this car on the road much longer than many out there.

Remember even though it's German, I think VW stole all of Englands vast Electrical knowledge.

scdevon

Veteran Member
TDI
None
The Lucas motto: "Get home before dark."
Lucas is the patent holder for the short circuit.
Lucas - Inventor of the first intermittent wiper.
Lucas - Inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.
The three position Lucas switch - Dim, Flicker and Off.
The Original Anti-Theft Device - Lucas Electrics.

Just kidding. Enjoy the new JSW. I'll take VW electrics over British electrics any day.

Cooper

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW (traded in 5/2015)
I have to check the driver's side turn signal in my wife's Mini Moke now that spring is here. As the wiring diagram is one page, it's pretty easy to track down. If not a bulb, it's usually a loose bullet connector in the line. :)

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Man I'm Scottish and I wouldn't touch a land rover or range rover lol, good fun off road but you need to fix them on a weekly basis, the only british car I liked and found to be good was a couple of the rover turbo diesels, I had the earlier rover 200 and the first of the 25's which was also a 200. The second one was a flying machine, I was pretty impressed with it and it only broke down once due to some damaged wires in the engine bay that had been rubbing against some frame work. Speaking of electrics though, I've found renault to be about the absolute worst ever, their wire just corodes away inside the insulation and so do all the flippin contacts, I had to take out the indicators on my dads car every fortnight or so and try and get the dam things working due to corosion but I've since moved to a vag tdi and am pretty pleased so far.:)

bdisco

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 4dr Golf & '12 T-Reg.
I had a Range Rover, each annoyance can cost a minimum of $1000 to fix.
We had a '98 Discovery, but couldn't afford to keep it. Just driving past the dealership would cost $800. Great 4x4 you had to try really hard to get it stuck. I had to put a piece of cardboard under neath since it leaked oil from day one (British rustproofing). At around 100k things started going exhaust, abs sensor, door lock... The kicker came when we brought it to the dealer for the 100k service (timing belt, plugs, etc...). They said it needed a valve job $3700. No thanks took it home put 8 new plugs, filter, and put it up for sale. I still miss it.

Bugdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI 6M
Lucas-Prince of Darkness

The Lucas motto: "Get home before dark."
Lucas is the patent holder for the short circuit.
Lucas - Inventor of the first intermittent wiper.
Lucas - Inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.
The three position Lucas switch - Dim, Flicker and Off.
The Original Anti-Theft Device - Lucas Electrics.

Just kidding. Enjoy the new JSW. I'll take VW electrics over British electrics any day.

evilfij

TDI
2011 JSW TDI
Thanks for the fun feedback. I am sure I am capable of keeping the VW on the road forever, I just bought it because I want to do absolutely nothing other than drive it. I have enough needy vehicles in the stable, so the VW needs to run.

In that sense, I am going to give an two week 1200 mile update. I talked to Chris at Langhorne VW and I am going to get the 7/100k VW warranty when I get close to a year or 9999 miles. Based on the price (~$1800) and the fact that I rather like the car, I think I will keep her around for a while. Probably will even take it to the dealer for its annual services (until they upset me anyway).

I am looking at craigslist for snow tires like a hawk (heck my lotus has snow tires), but no luck so far. I am also looking for another steel wheel so I can just run the two steelies on the front with snow tires. I am already hoarding parts (old habits die hard) so I am looking for the best place to buy genuine filters and such and a list of bulbs on the car so I have spares.

My only annoyance is I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the DRLs off! I have tried every permutation of what is in the manual with no luck. I wish it was "pull the blue wire" like on the lotus. Computers and I don't get on so well.

I am getting used to the buick-like highway ride (compared to a lotus or land rover with heavy duty springs anyway), but it is really nice to just cruise. I took her to NYC and it was the first time I did not have a panic attack turning my car over to the valets at the parking garage.

I am also getting used to not buying gas every 2-3 days. (D90 gets 150 miles to the tank before needing to be filled and the lotus about 180 miles)

Anyway, so far so good. ;)

PS anyone in philly/wilmington area want a rear cargo mat cheap? I don't think I like it much especially as I run without the rear seat bottoms and with the backs folded.

evilfij

TDI
2011 JSW TDI
Scored four top of the line blizzaks without almost no wear for $240 today right up the road. I do like living among rich people.

Now, for some cheap 16in wheels.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I have a TDI customer who's business name is The SU Doctor. He phoned in an order and I had to ask what he did. That's right, he restores SU Carbs.

My long-term restoration project is a Bug-Eye Sprite. By long-term I mean I bought it in the 70s, haven't driven it yet. I'll get there.