Amsoil In this Thread only

Which AMSOIL?

• Total voters

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Streeker,

I'd go with something thicker for any PD engine. The 10w-40/AMO would work very well in that application. It's about 15% thicker than the full SAPS 5w-40....

streeker02

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI
Streeker,

I'd go with something thicker for any PD engine. The 10w-40/AMO would work very well in that application. It's about 15% thicker than the full SAPS 5w-40....
I appreciate the input. I worry about too much about cold starts to run 10wxx anything, regularly -10c or colder here this winter.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
I appreciate the input. I worry about too much about cold starts to run 10wxx anything, regularly -10c or colder here this winter.
The 10w properties are determined at -25C. You could use Amsoil DEO 5w40, also.

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
The PAO (Group 4) based, 10w-40 actually has a pour point about 9F Lower than the largely Group 3 based, full "SAPS", 5w-40. (-47F vs -38F). You'd have to be starting the vehicle in temps well below 0F before you'd notice any potential difference in cold weather performance.

As Bob mentioned, the DEO, 5w-40 is proven to work very well in this application also. It's PAO based, with a PP of -51F.

TS

cheezy

Veteran Member
TDI
99 NB, 96 B4V
We are all done with Amsoil products.

After being a "Distributor" for over 10 years, the Amsoil company has screwed us over nickel and dime BS, for the last time.

Off to Purolator filters and Mobil 1 at Wal-Mart.

We and our customers who have bought through us are through with the Amsoil and Duluth arrogance: close to a dozen motorcycle and car households combined. Feels like a loss of a ton o bricks. :D

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
We are all done with Amsoil products.

After being a "Distributor" for over 10 years, the Amsoil company has screwed us over nickel and dime BS, for the last time.

Off to Purolator filters and Mobil 1 at Wal-Mart.

We and our customers who have bought through us are through with the Amsoil and Duluth arrogance: close to a dozen motorcycle and car households combined. Feels like a loss of a ton o bricks. :D
Details please!

cheezy

Veteran Member
TDI
99 NB, 96 B4V
Details please!
Economy: Amsoil forgot there was an economic recession and they might have to adjust their pricing, and turn up the customer service quality. They have done neither. I take that back: they have increased oil prices and shipping costs, and their Customer No-Service recruiting has been bottom o the barrel.

Mobil 1 and Wal-Mart have done both to the customers' advantage: 5 qts of synthetic for $27, no membership $$ required, etc..

Yes, I am a student for life, and the "grain of salt" comment is indicative of the Amsoil corporate attitude today. YMMV.

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Cheezy,

I'm not having any issues selling oil in this climate. In fact, I find people more receptive to the idea of extending service intervals these days. So I honestly don't understand your complaints. Feel free to call me some time if you'd like to vent some more. Just Google "Dixie Synthetics"

Thanks,

TS

cheezy

Veteran Member
TDI
99 NB, 96 B4V
why would they need to adjust pricing because of the economy? Too dear? Buy something cheaper. Simples.
Absolutely!

Mobil 1 did not have to lower prices or start selling in 5 qt jugs, but they have.

cheezy

Veteran Member
TDI
99 NB, 96 B4V

Couleetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI
P.i. Performance Improver Gasoline Additive

Is or has anyone tried this. Looking to add it to my wifes subaru outback 2.5 boxer engine. Our gas really sucks around here.

Not so much on getting better mileage, we already run non ethanol gas, for the price of a bottle, I doubt it pays for itself. Just curious.

I used amsoil in both our vehicles, motorcycle and more for many years.

thanks

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
I use the Amsoil PI in all three of my vehicles every 5000 miles. If you have fuel system deposits it's very effective.

TS

vermont_tdi

TDI
1996 Passat
I see a lot of emotion here.. what is this product.. and why does it create so much division?

Last edited:

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Amsoil produces a wide variety of extended drain synthetic lubricants, high efficiency oil/air filters and fuel additives. I think any controversy is more directed at some of their dealers, rather than at the generally highly regarded products.

TS

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
Oil changed yesterday with Amsoil AME 15w40, heavy duty diesel/marine oil. Low NOACK, high ZDDP and high HTHS.

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
Amsoil produces a wide variety of extended drain synthetic lubricants, high efficiency oil/air filters and fuel additives. I think any controversy is more directed at some of their dealers, rather than at the generally highly regarded products.

TS
I think you are correct. I also think that the Amsoil brand has to some become elevated to cult status. There are many, many fine brands, some at lower cost and more readily/conveniently available.

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
BEN,

I think it's gotten worse since the Internet. Before that the local dealers I've worked with - particularly the direct jobbers, were for the most part very knowledgable. The problem now is if you do a google search on synthetic oil you turn up dozens of Amsoil links. I suspect people are simply looking for a more balanced perspective....

TS

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Oil changed yesterday with Amsoil AME 15w40, heavy duty diesel/marine oil. Low NOACK, high ZDDP and high HTHS.
Think about it Bob, you put in a 25000 mile oil and will be changing it out in 5 to 10,000 miles. So you will be wasting 2/3 of the zddp and 2/3 of the calcium. The zddp in this oil is designed to last 25000 miles. The zddp in other Amsoil oils and examples such as TDT and T6 are designed to get it done in 10,000 miles. This oil is designed to run a marathon and you need an oil that will start like the 440. In theory thats why 505.01 should work.
Get the calcium out of the way and use the right zddp for the mileage.

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
Think about it Bob, you put in a 25000 mile oil and will be changing it out in 5 to 10,000 miles. So you will be wasting 2/3 of the zddp and 2/3 of the calcium. The zddp in this oil is designed to last 25000 miles. The zddp in other Amsoil oils and examples such as TDT and T6 are designed to get it done in 10,000 miles. This oil is designed to run a marathon and you need an oil that will start like the 440. In theory thats why 505.01 should work.
I am running the same AME as Bob.
I wanted an oil more resistant to shearing that would work well running B99. My 1st UOA on the new engine build with Lubro Moly 10w-40 indicated it had sheared down to a 30wt. in less than 2k miles! :eek:

My hopes are that this AME will stay in grade given the demanding conditions in summer with a high output engine. If not, I may use the ARO or another good 50wt. in summer months

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
I can't say I agree. "We" ran CI-4 and CI-4+ oils for 10K to 20K mile intervals with no problems.

Surely you've seen the OCI recommendations for AMO, DME and DEO? Delvac 1 ESP and Delvac 1 are 100K mile oils [semis]... no issues using them in TDIs at shorter intervals.

TDT and T6 are usually safe to run to 12K to 20K miles (variable, depending on several factors)

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Bob,

I am only talking about detergents and antiwear (zddp).

( further to my original post) I don,t understand; you do have a catalytic converter. Why are you not using the amsoil european 5w-40 with a .35 wear scar which is equal to AME.( I am relying on memory and assume you know what product).

I am sure you know calcium interferes with zddp, so less calcium makes for a more effective use of zddp and yet the lower ash formulations are an improvement in acid and soot control.

There are 3 types of zddp, a) stable b) less stable c) least stable.

c) is the fastest acting but if I was formulating for the long haul which would I use. I would think maybe a mix of b) and a) would get the job done.

If I am only restricted to 10,000 miles maybe can use a 50/50 mix of fast and medium acting?

I wonder what one Joe gibs break in oil would use or a racing oil in fact.

I would not run T6 below TBN 5 unless I started checking the TAN because I have a feeling it won't go much past 10,000 acid wise( just to much magnesium in there). This is not to say I have a problem with that. It just means it is out of the gate faster and it done by 10,000. I would guess some medium acting zddp with a little dash of moly and boron to get things going.( I believe boron and molydct are synergistic with zddp)

I am not using T6 by the way. I really have problems with everything out there. Nothing is catching my fancy. (damn pd engine).

Edit: loudspl, I am impressed the changes you have done to your engine. I can't but help ask a few questions. I am thinking you are shifting and accelerating alot. Your main and rod bearings are shearing up the oil. Was the lubrimoly a 5w-40 pao? If so the 15w-40 should have next to no polymer in it and so should shear less. I am sure Tooslick is grinding his teeth rate now.

Last edited:

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
Bob,

I am only talking about detergents and antiwear (zddp).

( further to my original post) I don,t understand; you do have a catalytic converter. Why are you not using the amsoil european 5w-40 with a .35 wear scar which is equal to AME.( I am relying on memory and assume you know what product).

I am sure you know calcium interferes with zddp, so less calcium makes for a more effective use of zddp and yet the lower ash formulations are an improvement in acid and soot control.

There are 3 types of zddp, a) stable b) less stable c) least stable.

c) is the fastest acting but if I was formulating for the long haul which would I use. I would think maybe a mix of b) and a) would get the job done.

If I am only restricted to 10,000 miles maybe can use a 50/50 mix of fast and medium acting?

I wonder what one Joe gibs break in oil would use or a racing oil in fact.

I would not run T6 below TBN 5 unless I started checking the TAN because I have a feeling it won't go much past 10,000 acid wise( just to much magnesium in there). This is not to say I have a problem with that. It just means it is out of the gate faster and it done by 10,000. I would guess some medium acting zddp with a little dash of moly and boron to get things going.( I believe boron and molydct are synergistic with zddp)

I am not using T6 by the way. I really have problems with everything out there. Nothing is catching my fancy. (damn pd engine)
Amsoil says for AMO and AME, xyz miles/hours or one year, whichever comes first. None of the Euro oils are close to AME or AMO for wear scar.

I have a cat, not a DPF. Yes, CJ-4 was made to limit catalyst poisoning but more-so DPFs.

Back when 505.00 oils were very rare (Syntec 5w40 and Mobil 1 0w40 were it and both were hard to find), you had to run Delvac 1, Cat DEO, Rotella 5w40, Delo 5w40. So from 1997 to 2006/2007 if you weren't running a Euro oil, you were running a CI-4 or CI-4+ (2004 to 2007) oil. If there was something "wrong" with CI-4 and CI-4+ oils, there'd have been issues in the 10 years from 1996/1997 to 2006/2007.

Check the NOACK of the oils in question (AMO and AME). Then compare to the 3 Euro oils and to Amsoil DEO. I'll take an oil that vaporizes less. Maybe I won't have to add 3/4 of a quart over 10K miles.