Buying a used TDI in Canada for use in the states

branforddiesel

TDI
2001 '01 golf TDI 4dr 5speed
I have family in Ottawa and found a couple older TDI's for sale. Is it difficult buying a car in Canada for use in the states? regulations? Can I bring in a non compliant dieselgate TDI? thanks jeff

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
If you find the right example, you can import it. You will need a letter of conformity from VW.

Look up posts from Abacus - he bought my 96 passat wagon and imported it to bring it back to Maine.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
If you find the right example, you can import it. You will need a letter of conformity from VW.
Look up posts from Abacus - he bought my 96 passat wagon and imported it to bring it back to Maine.
Well I had a 1995 Passat TD and a person who wanted to buy it from the US.
VW refused any assistance, at the time I also had friend who was up in the VW head office hierarchy in Auburn, MI and even that did not help.

Just a thought, a real good deal in Ottawa may be a totally junked and rebuilt car from Quebec which will not show any history!

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Well I had a 1995 Passat TD and a person who wanted to buy it from the US.
VW refused any assistance, at the time I also had friend who was up in the VW head office hierarchy in Auburn, MI and even that did not help.

Just a thought, a real good deal in Ottawa may be a totally junked and rebuilt car from Quebec which will not show any history!
The 95 TD was never imported into the US. The 96 TDI was, that's why you can get a letter from VW for one and not the other.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
The history will show if the car was ever registered in Quebec. If you see that then have a really good body work inspection on it.