How do you know if a used tdi has a tune?

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
I bought a '04 Beetle TDI w/DSG last year. I have had several people ride with me and can't believe the power the little car has. If I turn the traction control off when the road is wet , it will spin all the way up to 3rd gear.I have rode in other Beetles and they don't go like mine. It now has 162k miles and a new trany that I had to put in when I bought it. Does vagcom have a way of displaying if the ecm has a tune on it?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Depends. Sometimes the tuner puts in a "signature" which shows up right on the opening log-in page. If not, sometimes you can monitor intake pressure or fuel injection quantity and see if they correspond with known stock values under known operating conditions.

Or you can put it on a dyno and see what it does.

Or ... just drive it and enjoy it, whatever it might be.

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
Definitely enjoy driving it. It's like driving a go cart that is street legal. I'm addicted.

Layerz

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 2.5 TDI AKE
Full version of vagcom and read torque from group 100 or something I think.

Edit:

Is group 120

CourierGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf(Summer) 2003 Golf(Winter)
You have no idea of the car's history I gather? Short of that, the friends who rode with you, have they been in a TDI before?

Kinda easiest way... get someone who's driven a few and see what THEY say. If you haven't driven one before, you won't "know".

The traction control.. my advice on that: Leave it on, I only turned it off in HEAVY snowfalls. This is when you want wheel spin to shed the snow out of the tires. Spinning the front end(on dry roads) is really hard on the car.. abuse your car, abuse your wallet! Maybe better tires would be in order hehehe ... Just saying...

Either or, have fun driving it and don't neglect it!

Recently read a quote that'll stick with me for a long time... "A vw is not an appliance." :)

Last edited:

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Also, if the "other Beetles" that you rode in were stock ALH cars (2003 and before), you have a P-D engine that has more power right out of the box than the earlier ones.

Layerz

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 2.5 TDI AKE
Just read it's an 04, will Torque work with it? The readers are £$5/7 on ebay and the app only a few £$ and it'll give you power readings that won't be RR specific but will put you in the ball park for knowing where you are at.

I used an App called Engine HP something or other that worked really well until it got pulled from the Amazon app store.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Yup. Boost is where you'll find your answer. Requested specifically, actual might not track well enough to say for sure.

3turboz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL Wolfsberg
Yeah, requested boost will tell you.

I would probably be best to avoid spinning your wheels. The diff does not live long with that from what I have read.