Does anyone build autos yet?

madmikeismad

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle
Before I choose one way or the other between awd or 6spd swap, I want to explore the auto options. I know in stock form they're garbage, and I've been told there are a few shop now that will build an auto. If thats true, who does it? I'd kill to swap to an auto.

VW_TDi_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf-S TDi with DSG
Before I choose one way or the other between awd or 6spd swap, I want to explore the auto options. I know in stock form they're garbage, and I've been told there are a few shop now that will build an auto. If thats true, who does it? I'd kill to swap to an auto.
I been curious to know myself & i don't think my stock 01M would hold us to a s7 turbo upgrade i want.

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
The tranny(with a proper working valve body) will physically hold a ton of power. The limit is actually the trans ecu software. I have extensively explored the limits of the 01M in daily driving. It's low end torque that needs to be limited.

VW_TDi_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf-S TDi with DSG
The tranny(with a proper working valve body) will physically hold a ton of power. The limit is actually the trans ecu software. I have extensively explored the limits of the 01M in daily driving. It's low end torque that needs to be limited.
Are there better torque converter options and trans ecu adjustments? I know in most cases a re-manufactured good valve body will keep it rolling for a while.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
The torque converter is not the limit, it's the clutches and there isn't enough room in the packs to increase their holding capacity substantially. Increase line pressure and the drums can balloon, and explode. You can probably make billet drums etc but nobody is will to spend 2X the value of the car doing that.

A DSG would be a better choice.

vw monster

TDI
golf and 4 jettas
I think you would be fine as long as it's not stupid amount of torque wounder if any of there v 6 transmission parts like drums are the same.

BuzzKen

TDI
I think you would be fine as long as it's not stupid amount of torque wounder if any of there v 6 transmission parts like drums are the same.

If I were to build an 01M, I would get coolair to redo the valve body, carbon fibre upgraded in the torque converter I believe is what they do. The '3-4' clutch pack is 5 clutch in the 2.slow, 6 in the tdi's and I believe 7 in the VR6's. I would find a vr clutch pack. I have tried the 5 pack in a tdi, and a simple stage 1 tune destroys it in minutes. So the step from 6-7 I would expect to hold a stage 5 setup.

BuzzKen

TDI
FYI, you end up slipping the clutches in 4th gear rolling on the throttle. As long as you floor it, you'll never have a problem, but rolling into it on the highway throws a gear implausible/torque converter limp mode pretty quick.

GTISMKR

TDI
2014 JSW
I do high performance Subaru 5EAT transmission builds and sell kits, including remanufactured clutch packs with increased clutch counts. Without knowing the specifics of the transmission, BuzzKen is ballpark right. More clutches equals more torque capacity. If a transmission varies the clutch pack count across the various applications, you can typically get more clutches in the lower count versions. If the clutch packs swap, great. If not, you can lathe the pistons. You can also install thinner steels and frictions. I do all three in my 5EAT kits. I don't think I see a market for this tranny, but I'd guess and say $2-3K for a nicely built example.

madmikeismad

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle
Manual valve body and hard parts is what I would need. Clutch packs can be manipulated with different thicknesses, and I know a few people who would make a billet converter for me.

If all it cost was 3k, I'd get one tomorrow. Thats less than half my cummins stuff. Only issue is it would have to hold the power. Boosted launches and locked shifts with at least 400hp.

There would definitely be a market in the performance world. Just like trucks, the market potential is huge if people know it exists.

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
USP Motorsports had a display at FixxFest with their OWN version of DSG clutch upgrades coming to the market, they stated it would hold 650 torque without a problem... $1450 for the kit when its released they told me..

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
Well if that's all you plan on making, sure. But I wouldn't spend money on one again. Been there done that!
Sad because the gear ratios are good but tranny is undersized for handling more than mild power

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
Anyone ever adapt a better auto? I'm not beyond swapping to a th400 or 46re and abd going rwd lol
I was also thinking about a 400 and rwd if my o2a doesn't hold up.I would use a clutch with it instead of a torque convertor though.

Last edited:

madmikeismad

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle
I was also thinking about a 400 and rwd if my o2a doesn't hold up.I would use a clutch with it instead of a torque convertor though.
If you figure it out, let me know! I'd prefer a dodge trans, but will do a th350 or 400, can make them both full manual for super cheap, build for power with pocket change, and you can use a trans brake :) I still prefer a converter for brake boosting and faster shifting/less boost loss.

Would certainly help distro the cars weight a little too.

CNGVW

Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
I had asked this of my transmission shop that has been doing my rebuilds and every one has worked out. They run a few mud truck and race cars so they build strong stuff.
He said he would look into what could be done on upgrade parts .
Bob Mann