Will the S7 get me where I wanna go?

3turboz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL Wolfsberg
The retail price does not allow anything other than a standard factory part.
But they charge over $100 more than the BV39 from elsewhere.

They do provide a tap for the EGT, so that is added value I suppose. The person I spoke to said they also do some tweaking and adjustment. If it was the same price or even close, I might buy an S7, but it is not (Currently $967 US).

Last edited:

majesty78

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Superb 3T5 CFFB
That's interesting to see, because the official BorgWarner designation does clearly indicate a cast compressor wheel.

Thanks for clarification!

Edit:

Just checked:

I have it on stock, it`s €670.- ex. VAT as brand new BW part.

Thats about 830USD ex. VAT

So in fact KERMA has good pricing on this turbo because it comes with the install kit, but makes me doubt it allows any reasonable additional work on the turbo.

Dimensions are (like shown on this dieselpower testimonial) 46mm/34.5mm compressor and 38.5/34.5mm turbine.

The turbo already has twin ring compressor sealant and comes with 5 pad 360° thrust bearing which can be upgraded to 7pad version.

Last edited:

CourierGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf(Summer) 2003 Golf(Winter)
I don't think anyone is surprised to find the factory stock BV39 being sold with a "special, fancy name" is just a factory stock turbo. Madison Avenue has been putting a special name on things as basic as salt (chemical name: NaCl) for years and telling people telling people is is "special", "new and improved" or what ever they can to make a difference where no difference exists.

The pictures in the above 2 posts are a clear. These are two fungible turbochargers. The names may have been changed, but...
The retail price does not allow anything other than a standard factory part.
Either or, had it been labelled a BV39, i would of still bought it. The fact that Kerma pitched it as an S7 is not a big deal to me, but did surprise me a bit. No regrets having purchased it. I was told of the benefits of it vs a vnt17 ant those were my buying criterias.

And quite frankly, when I run out of turbos for my winter TDIs, I'll buy another "s7".

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
I am not knocking anyone for their marketing. And, I think "one stop" shopping is worth something. So is getting the whole package from one vendor. After market support can make the difference between good results and failure. One way or another, that support has to be paid for.

By the same token, I will not knock anyone who does their own research, then uses his own time to find the best/cheapest stuff on Ebay to put together their own package for a bargain price. Given some time, there is a whole lot of support to be had on TDIClub members. For a lot of people, the search is a good part of the fun.

3turboz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL Wolfsberg
That's interesting to see, because the official BorgWarner designation does clearly indicate a cast compressor wheel.

So, can we assume that BW has updated this turbo with the ETT compressor wheel, or has the catalog been wrong all along?

3turboz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL Wolfsberg
OK, so posts 46 and 48 convinced me to go with the Borg Warner (although I was already leaning in that direction). My goals were quick spool, usable low end pull, no smoke, good MPG. I could have almost gone with a new GT1749V/VNT15, but the newer design of the BV39 and the ability to run slightly more boost for just a little more won me over.

Got the turbo, outlet adapter, return hose, new bracket, gaskets and nuts for install. All shipped to my door for under $1000.

I wanted to share a little bit more info. Most of this will pertain to the S7 also as they leave the factory in Hungary as the same part number 54399880083.

Here is the BV39 side by side with the VNT15

Here is the intake side

And here is the hot side

You will note that the turbo is physically the same size as the VNT15 despite comparisons to the VNT17. In fact although the compressor wheel is documented as slightly larger than the VNT15, I found the ID of the inlet and outlet to the compressor to actually be smaller on the BV39. The intake side is necked down inside like a venturi, probably to accelerate the air into the compressor. That does strike me a a bit restrictive though.

Fit and finish was good, no installation problems other than the cold day and the slow old man installing it.

I had done a stage 2 Malone tune back in September. The first version was kind of laggy, hit like a ton of bricks at 2000, but had way too much smoke at spool up and was prone to momentary boost spikes in the mid 20's. We fiddled around with actuator adjustment some. Got boost real steady on original tune but still too spiky and smokey on the tuned file. So, I thought it was a tune problem. Mark kept at it until I was happy with it, but it was still not as smooth as I would have hoped.

Went for a drive with the new turbo and it was very smooth and had no spike at all. First thing I did was reload the first stage 2 tune, the one that left an embarrassing cloud of black smoke and had alarming boost spikes. No smoke and no spikes over 20 with the BV39, just smooth to the requested and stays there. This is exactly what ANut describes in post 46. Less smoke means more air, despite the small size.

So, initial impressions are quite good for what I was looking for. Something with better tech than the 15 but with no lag. Someone has said before that this is what the car should have come with, and it does have that feel like it just belongs.

I will probably lower the IQ until I find the lowest with acceptable smoke. Then I will do some boost logs and make sure the adjustments are good. Then maybe go to a 3 bar map and stage 4 tune, but only if it is consistent with my goals.

Last edited:

CourierGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf(Summer) 2003 Golf(Winter)
Oh yes. Not so much a whistle, but more like a gush. Mines at 22psi. I run a high flow cat and 2 resonators, 1sm & 1lg.

3turboz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL Wolfsberg
So in general, does it sound louder then the VNT-15?
I can't say that is any louder at all with my 18 PSI tune. The whistle is a bit higher pitched, but I have to be next to a vehicle or wall with my window down, then blip the throttle to hear it.

Last edited:

fostertdi

TDI
MKIV Jetta TDI '03
I have finally ordered the S7 I actually called to order the 17/22... After talking to Chris at Kerma I ended up going with the S7. Thank you all for the help and personal input! I will update after installed to let you all know what I think!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ez2typethis

TDI
2003 Jetta ALH
OK, so posts 46 and 48 convinced me to go with the Borg Warner (although I was already leaning in that direction). My goals were quick spool, usable low end pull, no smoke, good MPG. I could have almost gone with a new GT1749V/VNT15, but the newer design of the BV39 and the ability to run slightly more boost for just a little more won me over.

Got the turbo, outlet adapter, return hose, new bracket, gaskets and nuts for install. All shipped to my door for under $1000.

I wanted to share a little bit more info. Most of this will pertain to the S7 also as they leave the factory in Hungary as the same part number 54399880083.

Here is the BV39 side by side with the VNT15

Here is the intake side

And here is the hot side

You will note that the turbo is physically the same size as the VNT15 despite comparisons to the VNT17. In fact although the compressor wheel is documented as slightly larger than the VNT15, I found the ID of the inlet and outlet to the compressor to actually be smaller on the BV39. The intake side is necked down inside like a venturi, probably to accelerate the air into the compressor. That does strike me a a bit restrictive though.

Fit and finish was good, no installation problems other than the cold day and the slow old man installing it.

I had done a stage 2 Malone tune back in September. The first version was kind of laggy, hit like a ton of bricks at 2000, but had way too much smoke at spool up and was prone to momentary boost spikes in the mid 20's. We fiddled around with actuator adjustment some. Got boost real steady on original tune but still too spiky and smokey on the tuned file. So, I thought it was a tune problem. Mark kept at it until I was happy with it, but it was still not as smooth as I would have hoped.

Went for a drive with the new turbo and it was very smooth and had no spike at all. First thing I did was reload the first stage 2 tune, the one that left an embarrassing cloud of black smoke and had alarming boost spikes. No smoke and no spikes over 20 with the BV39, just smooth to the requested and stays there. This is exactly what ANut describes in post 46. Less smoke means more air, despite the small size.

So, initial impressions are quite good for what I was looking for. Something with better tech than the 15 but with no lag. Someone has said before that this is what the car should have come with, and it does have that feel like it just belongs.

I will probably lower the IQ until I find the lowest with acceptable smoke. Then I will do some boost logs and make sure the adjustments are good. Then maybe go to a 3 bar map and stage 4 tune, but only if it is consistent with my goals.
The outlet pipe going to the inter cooler is different. The factory one aims down and the S7 aims to the right. How did you adapt the boost pipe to fit that?