2005 Golf TDI BEW - 2nd turbo KB-39 blown

kraftwerkturbo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI auto
New to TDI. Bought it a few weeks ago as daily driver 'ready to go'. 180k miles.

2 weeks later, turbo broke (catastrophic failure) cruising on interstate, pumping oil out of exhaust.

Installed new KB-39 turbo.

Since then, had MAF code (not sure why; the aftermarket new one did not run at all). Car running fine otherwise, no smoke.
Code with old OEM MAF: 16485/P0101/000257 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70): Implausible Signal).

3 weeks on new turbo: same again yesterday; 75 mph on interstate, accelerating to pass. Loud clonk, BIG black smoke in rear, shortly after low oil light.

Put oil in, started. Pumping oil out of exhaust.

This time, I may have ruined the block (main bearing knock from no oil; not sure how TDI is supposed to sound; need to evaluate further).
Car being towed back today.

So at best need another turbo. At worst need an engine (BEW used on 2004-2006 Golf, Jetta, Beetle; correct)?

But in any case: what can cause the turbo failure?

Car came with a 'tune'; chip tuner is Rocket Chip. http://www.rocketchip.com/

I did one VAGcom log. Max specified boost says 17.7 psi, max actual boost logged was 23.2 psi.

Obviously, getting sick of the TDI, particularly since the car was bought as a 'user' not a 'project' car.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Did you clean out the IC pipes after the first failure? I know you said you had oil out the exhaust but you might have had some foreign matter in the IC tract which was sucked back into the new turbo.

Get rid of that crappy BW turbo and install a Garrett VNT17.

rkovacs

TDI
Black 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon
Ditto what LNXGUY said, you need to take all the plumbing out and clean it after a failure to prevent junk/ shrapnel being sucked back into the turbo and or engine.

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
Ditto on both the Garrett VNT 17 recommendation and cleaning out the charge pipes. However, any schrapnel from the blow turbo will not get back to the turbo without going through the engine, so I don't think you will find that is root cause of your second turbo failure.

I'd be replacing the turbo oil feed line this time. They are easily damaged during a turbo R&R and that could lead to a series of cascading events that can take a turbo out.

kraftwerkturbo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI auto
All charge air lines and IC cleaned/washed out. New oil supply line installed. Car starting and running fine. No smoke. Only MAF code.

kraftwerkturbo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI auto
If I now oil starved the engine (not sure if what I hear is rtod knock or TDI knock), what donor cars and donor engine will fit?

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
BHW and you keep and move over the engine mount feet, accessory bracket, oil pan and stuff.

ta79pr

Veteran Member
TDI
02 TTQ (BEW)
That boost is too high isn't it? I have a rocket chip BEW and don't get over 22 and that is with a 3 bar map.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
I know my Stage II from TDTuning on my BEW (When it was stock) was right about 18-19psi. The KP39 doesn't like much more then that, they also tend to overboost.