CR140 Stage 3

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
Are all those specs around the turbine shredder debris embedded?
The aluminum is chewed up from whatever was flying around in there theres no debris left that i can see. im going to check the intercooler and piping today

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
check the breather

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
So does anyone have any advice on who to contact about getting a cr170 turbo that will work on the rectangle passat exhaust ports? or possibly making a Hybrid with the passat exhaust housing?

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
The stock CKRA exhaust manifold gasket is PN 03L 253 039 F and the ones with the turbo that darkside has are a 03L 253 039 E. Darkside says that they have those to be the same gaskets and that they haven't found a different oval port than that yet. Im still waiting for a response from my tuner about what tuning will cost and how we will go about it. For now I used a jewlers file and blended the blades. I think its been running this way for a long time so it cant be much worse than it was!

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Gasket is different because egr runs thru the head through the gasket. Has 5 ports vs 4

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
I did some more research. The CKRA passat engine shares alot of turbo parts with the CFHC 140 Jetta which is one of the cars darkside lists this turbo as compatible with. exhaust gaskets for the CFHC and CKRA are the same. The oil return pipe is the same and oil feed line bolts in the same location. The part number is off by a letter for the feed line but they use the same pn banjo bolt to bolt up to the block so the darkside flex oil feed line recommended in the link should bolt up fine and is designed to bolt up to the turbo in the kit. The intake adapter and intake hose for the CFHC are the same pn as the ones JFettig is using in the stage 3 setup Turbo Inlet Pipe: 3C0 129 654 AJ or 3C0 129 654 P

Turbo inlet to turbo elbow: 3C0 129 635

ill have to verify with darkside but i believe they will bolt up to this turbo .they dont make any mention of needing different intake tubing if you have a CHFC 140. The exhaust turbo clamp is also shared between the CHFC and CKRA so the turbo flange on the exhaust should be the same

Last edited:

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
390 With a sintered metal disk. Those usually chatter pretty bad.. which I can imagine isn't very good for a dual mass flywheel?

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
A tune for a CR170 engine won't necessarily work on our CR140 engine+ bigger turbo. Also, if I remember correctly, when I contacted them about stage 2 for my CR140 they didn't allow DPF delete. This was most of a year ago though.

dieselpower1466

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Hello,
I have a question. I am taking my 09 in for a tune tomorrow. My primary use for the car is fuel economy. I was going for a stage 2 malone tune and an exhaust. I figured that I would check my stock turbo before going to make sure it is ok. I found that I have pretty good play on the intake side of the turbo. Almost enough play for the blades to touch the housing. Since I will have the exhaust apart anyway I am going to replace the turbo. Is there any advantage for me to use a cr170 turbo and stage 3 tune, or should I just stay with stage 2? I am not worried about the stage 3 power levels as I am not going to be racing the car and cooking the clutch. Just an occasional spirited drive. Will stage 3 be reduced fuel economy compared to stage 2?

EvilEvo

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4dr W/Tech Package
Hello,
I have a question. I am taking my 09 in for a tune tomorrow. My primary use for the car is fuel economy. I was going for a stage 2 malone tune and an exhaust. I figured that I would check my stock turbo before going to make sure it is ok. I found that I have pretty good play on the intake side of the turbo. Almost enough play for the blades to touch the housing. Since I will have the exhaust apart anyway I am going to replace the turbo. Is there any advantage for me to use a cr170 turbo and stage 3 tune, or should I just stay with stage 2? I am not worried about the stage 3 power levels as I am not going to be racing the car and cooking the clutch. Just an occasional spirited drive. Will stage 3 be reduced fuel economy compared to stage 2?
There is no difference in economy with the CR170 turbo. I still easily get 55mpg on the highway. If you leave it at Stage 2 power levels, you just get lower EGTs with the same power and that's better for everything.

dieselpower1466

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I just noticed that Malone offers an Economy tune for the stage 2. While I think the stage 3 would be fun, it may just be unnecessary for what I am doing. If the economy is the same (cr140 vs cr170 turbo) I may just save the extra cash and put a stock turbo back on with a stage 2.

I will have to see what my tuner says tomorrow too.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
dieselpower1466, if your primary goal is the best fuel economy, you should leave it alone. First, the money you'll save on mods will buy a lot of fuel. Second, other than your impressions of shaft play in the turbo you haven't mentioned any issues with it.

This is off topic, but I'd suggest you check the DPF load and determine whether or not to stick with the stock exhaust. If it's OK just drive the car. If it's going to fail soon you might want to go with a delete and the mildest tune you can find that eliminates the low pressure EGR and the regen. That will give you a big economy bump, based on what I've read.

EvilEvo, you must not get 55 MPG often if your Fuelly average is 44.4. By way of comparison, my average for 43 fills (all of them since new) in my '12 Golf is 43.5. Not much different.

Just my .02.

Last edited:

dieselpower1466

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
dieselpower1466, if your primary goal is the best fuel economy, you should leave it alone. First, the money you'll save on mods will buy a lot of fuel. Second, other than your impressions of shaft play in the turbo you haven't mentioned any issues with it.

This is off topic, but I'd suggest you check the DPF load and determine whether or not to stick with the stock exhaust. If it's OK just drive the car. If it's going to fail soon you might want to go with a delete and the mildest tune you can find that eliminates the low pressure EGR and the regen. That will give you a big economy bump, based on what I've read.

EvilEvo, you must not get 55 MPG often if your Fuelly average is 44.4. By way of comparison, my average for 43 fills (all of them since new) in my '12 Golf is 43.5. Not much different.

Just my .02.
I am a diesel mechanic by trade. The turbo looks fine and hasnt given me any issues, save for some oil in the intercooler which in my experience has been normal on turbo diesels(some appears to be coming from the crank case breather tube). As a tech, I have learned time and again that changing a part and spending the extra while it is apart, saves extra time and money later when the questionable part inevitably fails.

Since I live in Wisconsin I have had issues with the intercooler icing. The last straw was three weeks ago when i started the car and it hydrolocked. Since this car is way out of warranty, I intend to delete it as I have nightmares about bent rods.

I intend to do a stage 2 tune at minimum with deletes. Removing the EGR cooler will be easier with a cr170 turbo. I was just wondering if it is possible with a stage 3 tune to still use the car as a primary driver car without destroying fuel economy(or the clutch).

I realize this isnt the most cost effective way to address the issues I have, but extra horsepower and no water in the intake seems like a win win for me.

Thanks a lot folks.

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
I am a diesel mechanic by trade. The turbo looks fine and hasnt given me any issues, save for some oil in the intercooler which in my experience has been normal on turbo diesels(some appears to be coming from the crank case breather tube). As a tech, I have learned time and again that changing a part and spending the extra while it is apart, saves extra time and money later when the questionable part inevitably fails.

Since I live in Wisconsin I have had issues with the intercooler icing. The last straw was three weeks ago when i started the car and it hydrolocked. Since this car is way out of warranty, I intend to delete it as I have nightmares about bent rods.

I intend to do a stage 2 tune at minimum with deletes. Removing the EGR cooler will be easier with a cr170 turbo. I was just wondering if it is possible with ap stage 3 tune to still use the car as a primary driver car without destroying fuel economy(or the clutch).

I realize this isnt the most cost effective way to address the issues I have, but extra horsepower and no water in the intake seems like a win win for me.

Thanks a lot folks.

Do the CR170 turbo while you're in there. Your stock turbo has been abused by regens and who knows how much longer it will hang in there. Like you said, time is money, fix it once, fix it right. There are no downsides to going with the CR170, in my opinion, driveability is even better than a stock turbo.

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
I'll disagree just a little on the driveability vs stock.. and it may just be my car in particular.. but having to actively avoid anything above half-throttle around 2k rpm in 3rd or higher due to the DMF not being happy with the huge torque peak there is a driveability annoyance. My DMF may be particularly weak, but the huge torque/boost spike there doesn't seem to be only me. I understand this wouldn't be an issue with a SMF kit, but I am unhappy with what I've seen from the current clutch options for these cars, and so far mine isn't slipping/causing problems at higher RPMs so I just deal with it for now.

Other than that.. yes, it is all upside. Fresh turbo with zero regens, full EGR delete, much more reliable exhaust system, not having to check for ongoing regen when parking.

One potential drawback that will depend on your situation.. running the CR170/stage 3 means you cannot use 2micron's fuel system protection kit as it is currently designed (not that you can get them right now anyway.)

psrumors

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4
One potential drawback that will depend on your situation.. running the CR170/stage 3 means you cannot use 2micron's fuel system protection kit as it is currently designed (not that you can get them right now anyway.)
Is that because the pure flow doesn't flow enough fuel?

I just picked up a used kit so I am curious

2micron

Vendor
TDI
None
The Pure Flow only gets a small amount of fuel. When the kit was originally designed, the fuel flow was split between the lower case of the pump and the main pump head. No worries!!! Now that we are demanding more fuel to the pump head, a better balance needs to be established, sending more fuel where we need it. I've been experimenting with different sized orifices to make this happen!! Not to worry, it's happening!!!
All the best,
Andrew

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
the difference between stage 2 or 3 isnt really that big either way the dmf is going to fail and shutter....mines done it since day one on stage 2 and still doing it now.

but fluidamper crank pulley, smf and kevlar disc clutch and all will be well again....in the end this needs to be done above stage 1 anyway so might was well go cr170 turbo because you will need the flywheel and clutch anyways

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I installed my SMF last weekend, DMF was almost separated.

I did go with the heavy TDI SBC flywheel and kevlar disk. I didn't notice any change in anything with the fluid damper.

EvilEvo

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4dr W/Tech Package

Just my .02.
Correct, I don't. Mostly just because on my commute home from work I get stuck in a lot of traffic and my trip AVG is only 38-40 coming home. On the way to work I easily get 50-52. My trip is only 22 miles and the AVG is still rising by the time I get off the highway. On longer highway trips I've had it up to 55 and once up to 57.

I've also removed a ton of unsprung weight which helps. The front 2-piece rotors and Tarox calipers are way lighter than stock and my wheels are 15lbs each.

kyle_h

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI Execline R-Line
I installed my SMF last weekend, DMF was almost separated.

I did go with the heavy TDI SBC flywheel and kevlar disk. I didn't notice any change in anything with the fluid damper.

Any chatter or synchro problems? I keep hearing these 2 issues with smf kits

Sent from my iPhone using the Tapatalk app, so that explains the typos...