heat issue after blend door repair

Woodworker

TDI
2005 Passat
I am finding that I a only getting low levels of heat from the defroster vents and the floor vents. Last weekend I pulled the dash and replaced the heater core. I also re-covered the blend doors. They were missing the foam on them.

This procedure was done because I was only getting heat from the floor vents and the windshield vents. I was a little surprised to find that I am still only getting heat from the floor vents and the windshield vents and the amount of heat is quite low.

I have found the hoses connected to the heater core quite hot.

Is there anything that I should review or service?

Thanks,

Jerome

Zeph

TDI
See Signature
Even if your mode selector rotates freely, the cable may not be moving enough if the plastic or clip that hold the bicycle cable onto the back of the climate control unit (CCU) in the center console has broken. I would check there before pulling the dash a second time. When I recovered the foam on my blend and mode doors one of the plastic tabs on the CCU that the clip mounts to broke, I was able to repair it using a couple of tie wraps.

Woodworker

TDI
2005 Passat
I think that this is what is wrong. The knobs are not rotating quite freely. The air flow modes don't quite match up with how they are labeled. At the very least I don't have cold air blowing at me all of the time now.

You say that it is possible to pull the CCU without pulling the dash? I like that Idea.:) I'll pull the CCU later this week and see what is going on.

Even if your mode selector rotates freely, the cable may not be moving enough if the plastic or clip that hold the bicycle cable onto the back of the climate control unit (CCU) in the center console has broken. I would check there before pulling the dash a second time. When I recovered the foam on my blend and mode doors one of the plastic tabs on the CCU that the clip mounts to broke, I was able to repair it using a couple of tie wraps.