Sound Off on Current Diesel Price

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
Diesel is $3.799-3.899 here now, but over in Mobile I think there are a few stations still hovering around the $3.50 mark.

With the refinery fire in Richmond, California earlier, I expect prices will go up there shortly, if they haven't already.

Elysian

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf
Been paying $3.56 since I got my Golf a few weeks ago. The station I go to has upped the price on gas but not diesel so I've kept going. Not getting the most outstanding mileage but there may be other things going on with my car.

UNsweet

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 TDI Sportwagon
I paid $3.869 at Shell last night (really, I have to go to the same station twice. I know this. I just eludes me at the moment!).

BP is still the highest when I drove thru town last night at $3.98 I think (hmmm, i posted those prices in the other forum/thread), and I don't think anyone still in the $3.70 range.

My best mileage has come from the Hess fuel - and i'd peg my driving at about the same city/hwy mix. Traffic here in town (north of me) is still light and I can go 45. That will change over the next month.

I fill like I should win some sort of prize for driving 1500 miles in 3 weeks of ownership! :cool: Maybe I can stay home once school starts up for the kids in a week?!

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
BIG jump out West. I saw anywhere from $3.97 to $4.49 on my trip to Seattle yesterday. This is from $3.55 just a month ago... :(

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
BIG jump out West. I saw anywhere from $3.97 to $4.49 on my trip to Seattle yesterday. This is from $3.55 just a month ago... :(
I think prices are up all over. Crude oil is higher, gasoline futures up 30 cents in the last 2 1/2 weeks, heating oil futures up more than 20 cents. And in some areas, like the upper Midwest and in California, there have been refinery or pipeline problems; as a result, prices jumped faster and higher.

In Minnesota, gasoline and diesel have risen about the same. There are still some stations charging more for RUG than for diesel. All the diesel is B10, and soy-based biodiesel costs more to produce because of the drought and higher soybean prices; but I think this only means an extra penny or two per gallon to the wholesale fuel price.

Most of the competitively-priced stations are charging $3.79-$3.89 for diesel, though a handful have been charging $4.19-4.29 without a change in the last six months. (I would not care to buy any of their old water-saturated fuel.) RUG is mostly $3.75-$3.79.

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
A fifty cent jump, rotarykid? Ouch. Just, ouch.

It's up about 20¢ a gallon since the end of July here in lower Alabama. Prices range from $3.679 in my town to $3.959 over in the richer parts of the county. RUG is $3.449-3.519, one of the smaller spreads for gas in a while.

Kymerik

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS
Gasoline has jumped from 3.50*ish* to 3.80*ish* while diesel has jumped from 3.69 to 3.95 here in the northern burbs of Cincinnati over the past week. Really frustrating :'(

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
A fifty cent jump, rotarykid? Ouch. Just, ouch.
It's up about 20¢ a gallon since the end of July here in lower Alabama. Prices range from $3.679 in my town to $3.959 over in the richer parts of the county. RUG is $3.449-3.519, one of the smaller spreads for gas in a while.
Same here as well. Jumped from around 3.37 about a month ago, to 3.95 at my spot. Nearly 60 cents. No ethanol gas has only jumped about 20 cents in that same time frame.

sirpuddingfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat, 05 Jetta
Most of the competitively-priced stations are charging $3.79-$3.89 for diesel, though a handful have been charging $4.19-4.29 without a change in the last six months. (I would not care to buy any of their old water-saturated fuel.) RUG is mostly $3.75-$3.79.
$3.99 Last night (8/13/12) for the "Gold" diesel at Fleet Farm (Oakdale). The Passat drank over 16 gallons too :(

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
Same here as well. Jumped from around 3.37 about a month ago, to 3.95 at my spot. Nearly 60 cents. No ethanol gas has only jumped about 20 cents in that same time frame.
How much is non ethanol gas in OKC?

Around here we get it, but almost totally in 89 octane "Marine fuel" guise. It's anywhere from $3.899 to $4.549 at the car pumps. About 30¢ higher than E10 midgrade at the cheap end.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
$3.99 Last night (8/13/12) for the "Gold" diesel at Fleet Farm (Oakdale). The Passat drank over 16 gallons too :(
Hah! I found $3.679 at the SA on Lake St and 44th Ave Tuesday am. And this evening I saw $3.759 at the SA on E. 7th St on the east side of downtown St Paul. I think the Holiday down the street was also charging the same.

When I first moved up here, I tried to buy from Fleet Farm whenever possible. But it just became too inconvenient. I fill up twice a week, and try to find the cheapest stations I can. All else being equal, I would pick FF or KwikTrip first, then a busy SA or Holiday station, then Marathon or a no-name/no-brand station. 14 of the last 30 fills have been at SA stations.

Edit: $3.659, not $3.679

Last edited:

Louczar

TDI
2012 Jetta
The giant electronic Billboard sign (for the TA truck stop)showed dsl at 3.97 on my way home yesterday. 4 miles later when I passed the TA truck stop it was up to 4.03. I went to the new Buc-ee's as usual and paid 3.61.

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
How much is non ethanol gas in OKC?
Around here we get it, but almost totally in 89 octane "Marine fuel" guise. It's anywhere from $3.899 to $4.549 at the car pumps. About 30¢ higher than E10 midgrade at the cheap end.
Usually about 10 cents more than 10% ethanol. Right now I think ethanol free is around 3.50-3.55. Literally right next door, I have a Homeland Fuel Express on one corner and a 7-11 on the other corner with ethanol free so they battle it out in price.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Usually about 10 cents more than 10% ethanol. Right now I think ethanol free is around 3.50-3.55. Literally right next door, I have a Homeland Fuel Express on one corner and a 7-11 on the other corner with ethanol free so they battle it out in price.
In some states, E10 is not taxed as heavily as ethanol-free gasoline. That's why it is cheaper at the pump -- why 89-octane E10 may be cheaper than 87-octane RUG. This tax subsidy is intended to benefit the ethanol producers, though it seems to be a bad policy to me.

EJtdeye

Veteran Member
TDI
Blue Graphite 2011 Golf TDI
I filled up at a local Chevron at 3.95/Gallon. Usually Shell has the best prices in my area, but they are all over 4.00/gallon. That same Chevron is now at 4.19/Gallon a couple of days later. Everything is now over 4.00/Gallon. I'm now paying 40 cents more per gallon than a month ago.

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
In some states, E10 is not taxed as heavily as ethanol-free gasoline. That's why it is cheaper at the pump -- why 89-octane E10 may be cheaper than 87-octane RUG. This tax subsidy is intended to benefit the ethanol producers, though it seems to be a bad policy to me.
I know all that. I was just answering the question on the price. We have ethanol free all over the place (I'd say maybe 20% of the stations) and they usually are about 10-15 cents higher. Just a general statement and not always true though.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Around the Toronto area, I'm seeing rug running around $1.32 a liter and D2 running around $1.19 a liter. Not sure what the exchange rate is today.

kgall

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A-3
It's my understanding that diesel has about 12% more usable energy in it than regular unleaded gasoline. Am I right about this?

If so, is there any reason it shouldn't be about 12% more expensive than regular unleaded? (One reason might be how much demand there is for one vs. the other compared with how much of each you can make from the average barrel of oil. Anyone know that?)

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Vento 1.9 TDi (retired), A4 1.9 TDi (rear end collision), VW Passat 1.9 TDi (retired), Audi A2 1.4 TDi
...If so, is there any reason it shouldn't be about 12% more expensive than regular unleaded? (One reason might be how much demand there is for one vs. the other compared with how much of each you can make from the average barrel of oil. Anyone know that?)
In theory, diesel needs less processing than petrol when making it out of crude, therefore (in theory...) it should be cheaper.

In practice, refineries can 'crack' the crude to make more of one than the other, so the price is derived from demand versus supply from the current refining mix.

Last edited:

CurlyDE

TDI
2012 JSW TDI DSG
I paid $3.59 last week. I noticed the same price earlier this week also ... finally lower than premium gas.

midwestTDI

TDI
2012 VW GOLF TDI Sunroof/NAV Package, 4dr hatchback
Paid $3.649 on Tuesday this week. Drove by the same station today, it was $3.959.

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
In central Mississippi the cheapest I've seen in Jackson was $3.599. Up the road in Canton the truck stop was $3.999 :(

Further up in Grenada, locally made b20 is $3.789.

kgall

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A-3
Paid $3.80 at the cheapy cash only local Freestate station, it was .08 cents more than it was earlier in the day :rolleyes:
Here in Ark., I have also noticed prices bouncing around between AM and PM too--and not just on diesel.
In the past few months they've gone down and then back up.