Accidentally Put 2 Gallons of Gas in my TDI

davidjrtx

TDI
2006 Jetta
Hi guys I am new here. Today I accidentally put 1.9 gallons of gas in my 2006 Jetta 1.9 TDI. I grabbed the green nozzle and started pumping and looked down and it said regular unleaded on it, I stopped immediately but already had 1.9 gallons in it. I moved it over to another pump that had the diesel with a green nozzle also and filled it up 10 point something gallons of diesel. I went and got some fuel conditioner with lubricant form the auto parts and put in it also, the vehicle is hard to start but runs fine. I tried to siphon out the fuel but evidently there is something in the tank that keeps me from getting the hose down in there all the way. I got about a half gallon out of there was all, will it be ok to run this or will it damage the engine? I have drove it 29 miles since this happened...

Last edited:

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
davidjrtx said:
Hi guys I am new here. Today I accidentally put 1.9 gallons of gas in my 2006 Jetta 1.9 TDI. I grabbed the green nozzle and started pumping and looked down and it said regular unleaded on it, I stopped immediately but already had 1.9 gallons in it. I moved it over to another pump that had the diesal with a green nozzle also and filled it up 10 point something gallons of diesal. I went and got some fuel conditioner with lubricant form the auto parts and put in it also, the vehicle is hard to start but runs fine. I tried to siphon out the fuel but evedently there is something in the tank that keeps me from getting the hose down in there all the way. I got about a half gallon out of there was all, will it be ok to run this or will it damage the engine? I have drove it 29 miles since this happened...
__. David, I don't know about the 2006 but on the A4 model cars, you can access the fuel tank by flipping the seat bottoms open. There is a slit in the carpet on the seat base; fold this apart and you can see a plate over the top of the fuel pump/pickup. Remove the screws and lift the plate, then tap the tabs on the ring with a hammer and a piece of wood (point the piece of wood onto the tab) until the ring loosens. Then lift up the top of the fuel pump/pickup -- but not far or it will pour fuel all into your rear seat area. Just enough to get a syphon hose into it.

__. If it's hard to start, you need to get that fuel mixture out. Just syphon out what you can, fill it with fresh diesel, put in a double dose of Power Service or Stanadyne and you should be fine. (You might want to hit it with a little 2-stroke oil, too.)

d2305

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Ram EcoDiesel
You have a lift pump, and you need to pull the inlet hose off you fuel filter and turn on your ignition, and pump out your tank.

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
d2305:

I know that RUG(regular gas) is NOT good for our engines but a little is not that bad...

1. how many DIESEL gallons did you put in total?
2. can you locate regular oil(low viscosity, tranny oil?) that is clean to add into the fuel tank to LOWER the CETANE %?

In Europe, the cetane is higher than here FYI (by about 5 points).

That would be the easiest manner to use the fuel mixture that you have in your tank and use it quite harmless-ly.

Just my two cents...

davidjrtx

TDI
2006 Jetta
I think the additive I put in there must have finally got up to the injectors, I went out a few minutes ago and it cranked right up with out having to crank on it for a little bit. I figured I may as well top it off since I had took a little fuel out and burned a little so I went to the station and it held 2.3 more gallons. You guys think I should still drain it?

Edit:

1. Total of about 12.5 gallons of diesel and 1.9 gallons of regular gas and I put some CETANE booster with lubricant. I guess I should not have put that?

2. Yes there is an auto parts right up the street what should I get?

Last edited:

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
1.9 gallons of RUG in a full tank of diesel would not be recommended fueling but should be ok, especially with some lube and cetane booster. just drive it out. Go forth and sin no more, my son.

Given the way it got in there, it should have been pretty well mixed with the diesel. I wouldn't worry about it.

But if you are, when you get down a half tank or so, fill 'er back up and add s'more lube & cetane enhancer. You'll be fine.

The folks who have reported damage have been the ones who say it ran really ragged right up until it quit and wouldn't restart. No, it is not good for the injection system or the engine, don't make a habit of it. But that's a pretty small amount, you should be fine.

Nocky

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
In the old 80’s non TDI’s the owner manual says you can put up to 1/3 gas:confused:.

You should be ok good that you added 10 gal of diesel.

davidjrtx

TDI
2006 Jetta
Well I did not do it on purpose believe me :p I pulled into a station I had not been to before because I saw that they sold diesel and I needed some, all the nozzles I have seen for diesel are green around here so I grabbed the green one and started pumping then looked at the pump and green was regular at this pump. 2 pumps over was another pump that had a green nozzle there with diesel and beside it a green nozzle for regular.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
I would have put a quart of ashless 2 cycle In. Then in two more tanks change the filter and forget it. Keep diluteing - fill at 1/2 tank.

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None currently. Previously owned 04 Golf TDI & 05 Passat GLS Wagon TDI
3 winters ago i think i had B50 in my tank, it got cold and i got stuck.

i added 2.5 gallons of RUG and 2.5 gallons of kerosene, shook the whole car back and forth a bit, went inside (car died in front of a friends house), drank a couple beers.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Gas in the diesel tank

Nocky said:
In the old 80’s non TDI’s the owner manual says you can put up to 1/3 gas:confused:.

You should be ok good that you added 10 gal of diesel.

Yeah, in those early generation diesels, I have put as much as 25% gasoline without any problems. It was pretty common to add a little gasoline in anticipation of sub-freezing tempatures, especially when it was expected to drop below 15 degree F and stay that cold for several days.

As many have suggested, just keep diluting the gas by adding more diesel.

Everything will be fine!

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Biodiesel has very good lubricating properties and in a low dosage, it won't suddenly plug the fuel filter. Add a gallon of B99 and be happy.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
davidjrtx said:
I think the additive I put in there must have finally got up to the injectors, I went out a few minutes ago and it cranked right up with out having to crank on it for a little bit. (snip)
__. In that case, and since you're already di-diluting it with more diesel, you're probably OK. My advice earlier was probably overkill. Just drive it out.

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Gas in diesel

This topic is discussed in the TDIFAQ section! Also do a search and you will find out it has been discussed before. The search is your friend.:D

d2305

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Ram EcoDiesel
I almost did the same thing at a BP station, but the it didn't feel right. All of the diesel nozzels are slick from spilled diesel, and heavier than gasoline. It should be against the law to have green gas nozzels.

davidjrtx

TDI
2006 Jetta
2004STARWARSTDI said:
This topic is discussed in the TDIFAQ section! Also do a search and you will find out it has been discussed before. The search is your friend.:D
If everyone searched with say google there would be no need for a forum... :D

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2002, green, Eurotek STG1
man I hate those flippin green non-diesel pump handles!! I actually stuck one in the opening and didn't see it until I went to push the diesel button and saw this other green pump handle out of the corner of my eye :eek: ...oughta be a law!!

davidjrtx

TDI
2006 Jetta
inveSTigator said:
What station, if you don't mind me asking?
It was a mobile station at loop 336 and I45 in Conroe, Texas. I added almost 7 gallons of diesel yesterday so it should be pretty diluted by now. It is still running fine BTW...

slimbeaux

TDI
2000 NB and 2003 JettaWagen
I paid attention to the green nozzle too

I did the same thing to my 01 Dodge CTD. Pumped about a gallon and a half of RUG into into my 35 gallon tank. Filled it up with "real" diesel once I realized the bonehead move I'd made. It was 0200 a.m in Alabama, on a road trip.

Got all kinds of advice about needing to drain it, and was very nervous for several weeks after, but never had an issue. I just kept topping off with diesel every chance i got...

ChristopherC

Veteran Member
TDI
04 NB TDI PD
Get a couple of 5-gal gas cans, siphon 10 gals from the tank & top-up with diesel. When you've used that tank, refuel with one of the 5-gal cans of tainted fuel, top off with diesel. Rinse, repeat.