e-code beam pattern

Joe Fisher

Veteran Member
TDI
NA
Howdy, I just got partway home from Drivbiwire's house in Boise, he did a stellar job of installation.

Among the things I had done were e-codes with fogs.

I took a long western route along the Snake River, Clearwater and Lochsa rivers to my sisters house in Stevensville, MT. It was *really* dark when I was going along the Lochsa.

The high beams on the e-codes are incredible. It absoulutely illuminates the road for a *long* ways.

The low beams are less than stellar though. The light only goes out about 20 feet, then it abrubtly cuts off. Is this normal? Or do I need to aim the lights.

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
Sounds like you need to have your heaadlights aimed/adjusted up a bit. Then again, it depends on how much load you have in your car because if you raise the headlights up too much and load the back of the Wagon up with cargo, it will end up blinding oncoming traffic. Just try a half turn on the adjustment screws for the headlights.

Joe Fisher

Veteran Member
TDI
NA
What direction do I turn the adjustment screw to aim it higher? Clockwise or Counterclockwise?

I usually don't have much of a load in my car. I don't have a trailer hitch.

Ed's TDI said:
Just try a half turn on the adjustment screws for the headlights.

whatnxt

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Q5 TDI Premium +
Shine the lights onto a flat surface from about 20 feet away. You can see how the pattern of the low beams does have a flat cut-off. Normal for these lights. You can adjust the height from there. Counter-Clockwise-up. You can also get some better bulbs like the Philips VisionPlus +50s or the new 80s. They will add even more light for the low beam.

Last edited: