//// exhaust cutout for intake...faster engine warmup? ////

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Hi all,

Just thinking the other day how to make the car warm up faster since I hate freezing in the mornings... and it would help mpgs to boot (faster warm up).

My idea was to buy an exhaust cutout assemby and use it on the intake system ( 1 side of the cut out would breathe cool air from the outside and 1 side would Breathe warm air from the engine compartment or maybe rig up that side too suck hotter air off the exhaust manifold ( of course would assume having the under belly pan and side skirts in place) .

If I suck hot air off the exhaust manifold how hot is too hot for an intake ?

I realize that the EGR setup is to get hot exhaust gases into the intake as well but if you think about it it would be blending in cold air from the outside with a factory setup and that's why I'm taking of having a system to also ingest hot intake air as well

My thermostat is fine and I do have winter blocks on my grills...

What do you think of this idea? Has anybody already done it if so what were the results?

Most exhaust cutouts tend to be an either-or proposition it would be nice to have one rigged up in such a way that it can vary between fully opened and fully closed...

I do have a ScanGauge to monitor intake air temperatures

Thanks in advance for any and all help

Andrew

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
-32c here the other day which was warm compared to other Canadian places.... coldest place on earth last week. colder than Mars. car started up unplugged after sitting for a week under a foot of snow. I let it idle for 1 minute. then drove nicely. within 2 miles the temp needle started to move... probably within 3 minutes of driving or less.

how much quicker do you want it???

sounds like you need a frostheater.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Try running an extension cord with a 100 watt or larger bulb into the engine
compartment. That's what my dad used to do in the dead of winter in Illinois.
But your efforts would be best rewarded by a Frostheater as Fouillard13 suggests.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
-32c here the other day which was warm compared to other Canadian places.... coldest place on earth last week. colder than Mars.
Mars has a crazy climate. It can get up to 70° F near the equator mid summer. Average temp is about -60° C and lows of -125° C. But -32°C is brutally cold for sure.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
another attempt at doing what a company has spent millions of $ in R&D. you think you can do better? just one more crazy attempt at warming up a diesel other than jsut a simple heater pad.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I agree with what everyone else has said....... and will add this, you would need a means to filter the hot air from around the manifold.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
-32c here the other day which was warm compared to other Canadian places.... coldest place on earth last week. colder than Mars. car started up unplugged after sitting for a week under a foot of snow. I let it idle for 1 minute. then drove nicely. within 2 miles the temp needle started to move... probably within 3 minutes of driving or less.

how much quicker do you want it???

sounds like you need a frostheater.

I did time the car as far as how long it takes to heat up a bit

On a 39 degree day that was sunny I had heat blowing from vents in about two and a half miles ... of course it was a little warmer day and the fact that it was sunny meant the car was warm just because of the Sun...

I suppose on the next day that it's in the teens at night I'll try to see how long it takes to get warm inside the car ...

I just hate being cold on cold nights...

I'm thinking a side benefit of my idea is that it keeps the engine temperatures up if a person is prolonged idling in traffic and trying to use heat at the same time .... I'm guessing an engine at the proper operating temperature is wearing less and gets better fuel economy too..

Plugging the car in at night is a good idea but I was hoping to eliminate that extra step and keep the car warm despite idling in traffic when cold out etc ....

Last edited:

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
I agree with what everyone else has said....... and will add this, you would need a means to filter the hot air from around the manifold.

Hi

That's a good point ....

I was thinking of having the hot air Inlet Point be before the air filter so the heated air would have to go through the air filter anyways just like the cold air does now...

Of course if the hot air gets too hot I'm wondering how that would affect the air filter ... and plastic in the intake system .... of course everything could be upgraded to metal piping and box but the paper air filter may still be limiting factor possibly

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
On a 39 degree day that was sunny I had heat blowing from vents in about two and a half miles...
We need hard metrics here, not completely vague useless terms such as "warm".

How many miles, or minutes, till the temp needle points straight up, "190"? Which is actually 165 when the needle first gets there.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
another attempt at doing what a company has spent millions of $ in R&D. you think you can do better? just one more crazy attempt at warming up a diesel other than jsut a simple heater pad.
A heater pad only works when you're around power, this would work basically anytime you can get the engine started.

Plus in theory once the engine is up and running if you were prolonged idling in traffic this will keep the engine up to operating temperature easily ....I would assume there for reducing engine wear and increasing fuel mileage... I suppose it would probably also reduce emissions to a degree?

I'm not saying it's the best idea but there is an aftermarket around because the factory option is not always the best and can always be improved upon...

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
its been done before. 100ah battery will run a heater pad for about 6 or 8 hours enough to keep the oil at a decent temp.

still fresh working oil, not an issue. so what, its not comfortable, get a space heater and plug it into a custom socket from the battery with an inverter.
EGR works as well as anything else would. really seems like the top of the bad idea list right underneath a tiger torch or burning cardboard under the pan.