first tdi need some help please

Trakpak

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf 5 speed
The fastest way would be to undo the downpipe nuts and take a brief drive.
Don't overdo the test run for obvious reasons. It should be way different if it's plugged.

Back them off a bit so there’s not a tight connection?

paulr

TDI
03 jetta tdi gls 5spd
may want to prove your intake is not clogged. just b/c you can see in the intake does not mean it isn't clogged in one of the individual ports.

Trakpak

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf 5 speed
may want to prove your intake is not clogged. just b/c you can see in the intake does not mean it isn't clogged in one of the individual ports.

I think that’s the next plan if the cat seems ok. It’s supposed to be nice on Saturday. Do I need any gaskets or anything when I put it back on or are they reusable at all?

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
One nice thing about the VCDS 'cable' is that you can put it in actuator test mode and it will put vacuum down there to move the actuator, which allows you to see if is actually moving when the ECU asks it to move.

You can also log while driving to see actual vs requested boost.

Also with VCDS you will be able to check the timing. A critical component to all this. And a requirement when you change your timing belt.

VCDS is money well spent.

Trakpak

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf 5 speed
One nice thing about the VCDS 'cable' is that you can put it in actuator test mode and it will put vacuum down there to move the actuator, which allows you to see if is actually moving when the ECU asks it to move.

You can also log while driving to see actual vs requested boost.

Also with VCDS you will be able to check the timing. A critical component to all this. And a requirement when you change your timing belt.

VCDS is money well spent.

I got the turbo sorted out Monday night it’s working good now. It just kinda cranks a while before it starts. I ordered the cables tonight. Is there and recommended settings when looking at certain parameters or are you on your own?

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
I got the turbo sorted out Monday night it’s working good now. It just kinda cranks a while before it starts.
This probably doesn't have to do with turbo. Extra cranking usually has to do with fuel, or timing. But with that said, I have a couple extra cranks going on right now, and my fuel pump is dry as a bone and my timing is just a few clicks above middle in the VCDS graph, so I don't know what it is yet. Might be fuel injectors. I have a set waiting for it to be warmer than 5 degrees to go in.

I ordered the cables tonight. Is there and recommended settings when looking at certain parameters or are you on your own?
Lots of stuff on this forum about using VCDS. Lots of stuff on the Ross-Tech site as well. Pick a single thing about your car, look it up online and try it out. Always make sure you record your initial settings before changing anything.

And finally, search using the Googles. Just type your topic followed by site:forums.tdiclub.com Works better for me than the forum search.

Trakpak

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf 5 speed
Great tips thanks guys! Sounds like I should look at fuel and timing first off. How much stuff do or should people mess with?

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
Great tips thanks guys! Sounds like I should look at fuel and timing first off. How much stuff do or should people mess with?

I have used VCDS on my 2003 wagon to:

Set IP quantity
Look at injector balance
Check timing
Troubleshoot interior electrical faults
Set new key fobs
Change how my locks and associated horn beeps work
Test my vnt actuator
Log turbo actual and requested

And other stuff I am forgetting.

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
My car only came with one key. Can I program my own key with this if I find someone to cut it?
If you want a new remote you can do it with aarodriguez, aka tunemyeuro. They did a new key using a photo I sent them. Works great.