Diesel Autowerks is almost a reality. Willing to help?

deegingerkid

Beware the Ginger! Vendor
TDI
"Blurple" 2000 New Beetle 5M 2006 Jetta has been SOLD
Hey West-Coasters and all other TDIclub members! Many of you know that Matt Phelan (Matt98-AHU) is so very close to opening his shop in San Anselmo, Marin County, CA. However, we're coming up short on funds. Is there anyone out there willing to give us a hand up? :D

Please contact only me for donation questions. Matt is busy enough dealing with the legalities in getting this shop set up. This fundraising campaign is my baby. PM me for my e-mail if you don't already have it. Thank you!

Diesel Autowerks Crowd funding Campaign

Matt Phelan has been working on TDIs since 2004 when he was living in Michigan. Since 2006, he's been an active member of TDIclub. 2010 is when he moved to California and has spent the last 5 years fixing all types of TDIs, with happy customers all over the state. After a year-long stint for all of 2014 and the first few months of 2015 in a dealership environment, he made the decision to open his own shop.

A rental space was acquired summer 2015 but due to some logistical and legal requirements he is not able to start seeing customers on a regular basis until said issues are sorted out. There are, in some cases, up to a month + wait times for permits. The processes have started, but he is now in a lurch. He is unable to do work at the shop but still has bills piling up and adding to debt already acquired moving in and fixing his own vehicles. On top of that he's also looking at the start up costs for a basic office too. It's starting to look daunting...

Matt (Matt98-AHU) and his girlfriend Diedre (deegingerkid) are humbly asking for your assistance in making not only our dream come true, but yours as well. The Bay Area is an under-served TDI repair market, and we look forward to filling that niche for you.

As a thank you to our donors, we have come up with a reward system of sorts. We've made it possible that people near and far can contribute and feel rewarded.

$5-50 - A handwritten thank you note and photo. Your choice of a sticker or window cling as a thank you - after we get them made, of course :)

$51-100 – a free oil change with the proper viscosity synthetic oil and filter at Diesel Autowerks or a $25 gift certificate to your favorite TDI parts retailer. Plus the hand-written note, photo, and choice of a sticker or window cling as a thank you.

$101-300 – a 15% discount* on your next labor charge at Diesel Autowerks or gift certificate at your favorite TDI parts retailer (up to $75). A free OEM air or cabin filter with installation. Plus the hand-written note, photo, and choice of a sticker or window cling as a thank you - *discount of first $500 of labor

$301-600 – a 20% discount* on your next labor charge at Diesel Autowerks or gift certificate at your favorite TDI parts retailer (up to $150). A free OEM air or cabin filter AND a fuel filter and installation of both. Plus the hand-written note, photo, and choice of a sticker or window cling as a thank you - after we get them made, of course :) *discount of first $750 of labor

$601-999 – a 25% discount* on your next labor charge at Diesel Autowerks or gift certificate at your favorite TDI parts retailer (up to $250). A free oil change with the proper viscosity synthetic oil and filter. Free air filter and fuel filter with OEM parts with installation. Plus the hand-written note, photo, and choice of a sticker or window cling as a thank you - *discount of first $1000 of labor

$1000 and up – We'd like to speak to you personally. We consider this a massive donation and would want to reciprocate appropriately.

As another alternative to the tiered gifting above is to pre-purchase the labor on either a Timing Belt or Clutch at the rates we would offer at one of our local Bay Area GTGs. The labor price for any 4-cylinder TDI timing belt would be $350. The labor price for a clutch would be $400. We open 5 slots of each type of job for pre-purchase. These are strictly first come-first served.

We thank you in advance for any support you're able to give us. If thank you gifts aren't your thing or you simply want to donate, just make that clear with the donation. Otherwise we'll assume you want the gifts. Please have grace with us as we fit in the appointments for either the pre-purchased labor or the rewards for donating to us. This will probably be a very busy fall once all the pieces are in place.

All donations can be sent via USPS or PayPal. We will communicate such pertinent information privately. **We cannot take credit cards directly, apologies**

We thank anyone willing to donate to our cause in advance. We struggled with the decision to ask for help, but have had more support from TDI club than we ever imagined. You all are the BEST!

Last edited:

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
Dee, glad to see this moving along and that you guys have a name. Sorry you are tight on funds. Have you considered adding personal/friendly interest-free loans to your request, just to get you through until money starts coming in (and I have full confidence it will)?

deegingerkid

TDI
One of the pre-pay timing belt slots is taken! I've decided I'll leave this campaign up until the end of the month. By then we should be much more steady on our feet!

Thanks for all the help and kind words so far. We are truly blessed. TDIclub is an amazing community!

deegingerkid

TDI
One of the clutch pre-pays has been taken as well.

Thank you for the continued support!

Baumeister

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Beetle Convertible, '03 New Beetle TDI 5sp, '94 Audi Cabriolet(AFN swap in progress)
Hey Dee. Somehow I completely missed this thread/request until today. (and you've been much too polite to mention it in our other conversations!)
PM me where you guys are at and what you need when and hopefully I can assist in bridging the gap with a combination of pre-pay and donation.

deegingerkid

TDI
We are waiting on one dang piece of paper. We have applied for all 5 pre-reqs for the BAR license. We are waiting on proof of just one of those. It's frustrating as we were lead to believe we'd have the paperwork about 2 weeks ago and here we are still waiting.

I'll be personally remedying that this week. It's ridiculous.

deegingerkid

TDI
So, after 3 weeks (as of 2 days ago) of patiently waiting for our City of San Anselmo business permit. We still don't have it....this after being told the day we dropped all the paperwork off "Oh, this won't take me long at all, I'll finish it by the end of the week and mail it out". That didn't happen. Matt e-mailed her on Tuesday and we didn't get a response until yesterday where she basically said "Oops, I forgot!" I'd like to know what pile of paperwork our application got lost in.....

We're pissed. That dang piece of paper had best show up in the mail either today or tomorrow or I'll be showing up to her office on Monday with a copy of said e-mail and demanding to speak with her boss.

The past three weeks could've been better utilized waiting on the BAR permit! This City of San Anselmo permit has really thrown a wrench into the works of allowing us to more or less stick to our open date of Nov. 1. Stay tuned. As soon as this all irons out, we'll be sure to let you know.

We don't have a tenative opening date right now. I'm sorry folks.

deegingerkid

TDI

You're telling me! We FINALLY got the piece of paper yesterday! We'll be working on completing the BAR permit this week and we'll be handing it in on Monday! Within 30 days, we'll be up and running. It's ALMOST here!

deegingerkid

TDI
We are still working through BAR garbage with a possible new delay. I've gotten several e-mails from folks looking for an update. That's the only one I can give right now.

Thank you for your continued support!

deegingerkid

TDI
New update: And not much to state, sorry folks. We apparently forgot to put N/A in a couple of slots on the application, so we had to resubmit that page. It's our sincere hope that we'll hear something in a few weeks. We've called the fellow handling our case last Wednesday, but haven't heard a peep back. This is something we DO NOT appreciate, especially since we KNOW the BAR is watching *waves*.

Fingers crossed this process goes smoothly. At this point, I'm having my doubts.

deegingerkid

TDI
WE HAVE OUR PERMIT!

We do not yet have an opening date. We have a few more ducks to get in a row.

We look forward to serving the greater Bay Area and Central California Area! :)

Thank you all for your support so far!

Last edited:

deegingerkid

TDI
Yay!! That's awesome!! Maybe would be able to do the Spring 2016 GTG there to celebrate the Grand Opening!
I seriously doubt we'll be able to ever host a GTG there. I'm SORRY to break everyone's hearts. There simply isn't enough parking. A few people on this thread have been to the shop and can vouch for that. What can also be vouched for is the fact that there's virtually zero "hang out" space in our current shop. On top of that, the guy we're renting from is not kosher at all with having people just "hang out" while he's got lots of insurance responsibilities and cars on lifts, etc..... I can't blame him.

Honestly guys and gals, the working GTGs we used to know are gone. Will we have an opening party? Probably, but it will be SOCIAL only.

deegingerkid

TDI
All, and huge, respect to you and Matt... but I do not believe we have seen the last SF Bay Area GTG.
I do...IN THE FORMAT WE ALL REMEMBER. The BAR is watching *waves* and frankly, the busting it out working 20 hours a day GTGs are old for me and Matt and Justin and Andrew and Aaron. Yeah, it's a good chunk of money, but with the permits required and the potential liability risks involved it just feels less and less like a feasible idea.

I've no doubt we'll still find a way to get together...but my real point is...the WORKING GTGs are likely dead. Justin, Aaron, Andrew, and Matt can feel free to disagree with me.

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
Yeah, Im gonna be one of those that disagrees with the ginger... Im not willing to let this die and to give in, means they win.

NachtRitter

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI 5MT
Honestly guys and gals, the working GTGs we used to know are gone. Will we have an opening party? Probably, but it will be SOCIAL only.
That is too bad if the GTGs as we knew them are gone... I learned more in a day of a GTG than I did in days (or weeks!) of searching / reading the forum... And that's saying a LOT since this forum has some incredibly useful content! But I do get the concern for litigation, especially since it could cost you everything and there are some certified idjits out there.

Would definitely enjoy supporting / participating in a social event instead!

senorbigstuff

TDI
'96 Passat
So when can we start bringing cars to you and Matt? I'd love to bring mine in sometime in the next week or two if you're open, so let me know how I can contact you to make an appointment.