A/C Compressor and Alternator wiring mix-up?

Slowrvr

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Golf Sportwagon
A/C Compressor and Alternator wiring mix-up? *pic added*

Installing my skid plate the other day, I noticed that the A/C compresser was not connected to the harness. There was a purple plug dangling behind the alternator but it is not long enough to reach the socket on the compressor. The harness going into the alternator looks long enough to reach.

I know from the service records that the alternator was replaced last winter and the A/C compressor the year before. I'm hoping that the tech that changed the alternator screwed up the wiring and that is why the A/C is not working.

So the question is, are these just simple power/signal wires that will work either way? The car charges no problem.

Last edited:

Slowrvr

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Golf Sportwagon
From this pic it does not look like the harness plugged into the alternator would reach the compressor but when under the car it looks like it will.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Looks like things got swapped. The alt and compressor do have the same type of plug on them.

Are there any fault codes in the engine computer?

-J

Slowrvr

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Golf Sportwagon
I'm not aware of any fault codes. I'll switch them over and see what happens.

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
None - did own '01 and '02 Jetta TDI
I would probably figure out the wiring colors and match them to the correct device. Swapping connectors may create a problem much larger than you want...ie. frying an ECU or melting a wiring harness....

What color wires are going to the alternator? What color are going to the compressor (or the connector that is not plugged in...)

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
WD 32/2 in my Bentley show wiring harness T4/1 as a brown/red wire and T4/2 is a blue wire. This is for the alternator. WD 38/4 shows T4/3 as green/black wire and T4/4 is a brown/black wire. The last pair connect to the AC clutch.

Last edited: