2012 Jetta TDI Lowering

Daily_Diesel

TDI
2014 Jetta SportWagon
My better half's car is at 80k miles now, and I doubt the previous owner ever did anything to the suspension. With the sounds it makes going over bumps, I know it needs shock. With the mileage I am thinking about doing springs to so might as well lower it before buying new wheels and tires.

She drives 50 miles a day all highway, hence why we got a TDI, she doesn't corner to crazy, so I am looking for a decent spring and shock combo to stiffen up a little, drop a little, and still ride good.

Now knowing how I am, this will just feed the desire to modify her cars like I do mine, so I am already looking at sway bars and other suspension parts.

I want to start with just getting the little problem areas fixed before going any further. So recommendations on shock and springs, or coil-overs if there are any that are budget friendly?

Daily_Diesel

TDI
2014 Jetta SportWagon
I put an H&R Touring Cup kit on my 2015.
It lowered it about 1.25".
It still rides just as good as it did on the stock suspension.
What shocks you running with it? Thats where I am finding the bulk of the cost to be. Just replacing for stocks from like AutoZone or one of those stores is like $180 a piece.

dirtysouthjacket

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Premium 6MT, 2004 Jetta TDI GLS (sold)
I usually am not a Debbie downer, but lowering and stiffening the springs will only make the ride much harsher. I wouldn't do it unless you SO is asking for it. It might"feel" tighter, but won't actually handle any better. It will reduce the vehicles safety margin in hard cornering, especially in wet conditions.

Just food for thought since you won't be driving it as often as her.

I'm all about performance improvements too..

Daily_Diesel

TDI
2014 Jetta SportWagon
I understand it makes it rougher, but in my days of all the cars I have lowered I know there is a big difference between rough, and just unbearable. Stiff I have no problem with especially with the additional mods on the suspension of sway bars, bigger brakes (we live in the country so we have to brake for deer on a daily basis down the highway).

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Finding lowering springs and shocks for your car is going to be a challenge. The beam rear axle MKVI cars (2011-2013) have been neglected by many of the typical aftermarket suppliers. I don't think Koni has rear shocks for your car, although MKIV front struts will fit. And we've been struggling to even find replacement stock springs for that platform.

I haven't researched whether H&R or other aftermarket performance suppliers have kits for your car, so that may be worth a little research.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I don't think they make that kit for the beam axle Jetta. Can't find it, anyway.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
NCS-based Beetle rear springs would work (fit in) and they might lower it some. I measured the two cars sitting on the shop floor once, and the Beetle is a bit lower front and rear.

But there are a TON of different spring part numbers, so you may have to try and figure out which ones would work best. VAG is nuts with their springs. :rolleyes:

Daily_Diesel

TDI
2014 Jetta SportWagon
That doesn't apply to the OP's car, as his rear suspension is completely different than yours.
So this suspension is different from what is posted above for sale. I haven't researched this car much so I have no clue what is under it. From the sounds of it there is barely anything that will work.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The NCS Jetta, depending on the year and the engine, can have different rear suspension and brakes. With the exception of the GLI, they used a simpler twist beam type axle in the rear. Thankfully all the diesels got rear disk brakes (the drums on the Jetta S suck because they seem to go metal-to-metal in 50k miles:mad: ).

The GLI, and ALL the later NCS Jettas got IRS same as the A5 cars all had.

Your 2012 Jetta TDI sedan will have the twist beam rear axle, the above poster's 2015 has IRS. Now I think, but do not know for sure, that you could bolt the entire IRS subframe into the rear of your car, and get more performance options as well as a better handling car altogether. But that may be a bigger project than you want. Of course, there may be loads of such setups available in salvage yards for cheap very soon.

Last edited:

Daily_Diesel

TDI
2014 Jetta SportWagon
The NCS Jetta, depending on the year and the engine, can have different rear suspension and brakes. With the exception of the GLI, they used a simpler twist beam type axle in the rear. Thankfully all the diesels got rear disk brakes (the drums on the Jetta S suck because they seem to go metal-to-metal in 50k miles:mad: ).

The GLI, and ALL the later NCS Jettas got IRS same as the A5 cars all had.

Your 2012 Jetta TDI sedan will have the twist beam rear axle, the above poster's 2015 has IRS. Now I think, but do not know for sure, that you could bolt the entire IRS subframe into the rear of your car, and get more performance options as well as a better handling car altogether. But that may be a bigger project than you want. Of course, there may be loads of such setups available in salvage yards for cheap very soon.
That will be much more than what I want to do to her daily driver. It looks like Eibach makes some springs that are 1.4-1.3 drop so those should work, now to find what shocks and struts to use.

Then the camber kit

Then she will be wanting new wheels and tires

Yes this may get expensive before I know it.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
The beam rear axle Jetta also has different struts in front. 50mm diameter instead of 55mm. When they went to IRS the suspension was changed to basically match the MKV cars.

Daily_Diesel

TDI
2014 Jetta SportWagon
This is getting confusing now. Hopefully I will order the right parts. If you have any links to exactly what is needed, feel free to post it up. I'm not taking her car that low, roughly 1.2 to 1.4 drop.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
OE Part number for the strut is 5C0413031AK. Shock is 5C0513025H. These may not be the only PNs, however.

Daily_Diesel

TDI
2014 Jetta SportWagon
How do I tell if I have independant or solid rear on this vehicle. Im a truck guy now days, so I have no clue what these newer cars deal with.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
2011-2013 Jetta Sedans have a beam rear axle. IRS started in 2014. If you want to be sure just take a look under the car.

HodgePodge

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
I went with the Eibach Pro Springs. it is a 1.3 in the front and 1.5 in the rear. Rear does still have that raked look a bit, but with any weight in the rear it evens out. Also, the ride is very good. No issues. Only slightly bumpier.

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Later when you want to change out the shocks you can get the Koni rear shocks from a MK5 to fit using the adapter bushings available from ECS Tuning.
The Koni sports lower the front a little FWIW, not sure if that was intentional but I think the spring mounts sit a little lower than the OEM ones.

Tgilb2007

TDI
mk6 Jetta TDI
https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_VI-Sedan-TDI/Suspension/Coilovers/ES1905696/

So these here should work just fine with the bushing kit for the solid rear?
https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_VI-Sedan-TDI/Suspension/Coilovers/ES2795637/

These are for the beam rear, so these should work without adding anything am I right?
https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_VI-Sedan-TDI/Suspension/Shocks/ES2836900/

Or I could just go with these and then get a set of lowering springs and it would be a little cheaper. She really doesn't need adjustability. Now to find a camber kit to get it aligned after.

What are your guys thoughts on the above three listed?
I'm on a set of the ST Coilovers personally (your 2nd option). For ride height, here is a photo to give you an idea of it all the way down:

I still have the rear perches in place (and they'll be staying in). Ride is still actually reasonably comfortable to drive for even a few hours at a time. Not bouncy at all, but you certainly feel its more firm.

I wouldn't cheap out on stuff like JOM, Raceland, or stuff like that unless you just want low, and don't really care about driving. It just ruins the ride IMO.

I800C0LLECT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta & Passat
I used the st coils as well when I had my jetta tdi. Great ride but the biggest problem is that the beam has the potential to provide a lot more feedback. It may not be as comfortable for rear seat passengers.

I tried the st coils from a gli and the front struts were amazing. The rear....terrible. They also weren't long enough to keep the rear engaged at full travel. That raised the possibility that they could unseat.

Btw, front struts were 55mm