1.9 "stand alone" issues?

Dieselsabound

TDI
02 jetta 230k, 00 jetta 430k
So recently my 2002 TDI died ,water pump and and key chip reader I suspect. This car was a work car and overall very tired and worn out. Not entirely by accident I just acquired an old 58 f100 pickup that needs a motor and transmission. Now other than the obvious adaption to whatever transmission I get (still researching that aspect) I'm wondering what all would have to be done to use the 1.9 in that old of a truck? I'm ASSUMING I will still need to have the computer to control the turbo and glow plugs and such, but is there a way to delete or bypass all the "non essential" things? Also along with a water pump, timing belt, egr delete, and intake cleaning is there anything else I should do while I have the engine out? I'm also thinking I should probably do something to make it push a few more ponies since I'm looking at a heavier vehicle. What are the mist recommended ways of doing that? I am again assuming I start with larger injectors but not sure how large or where to go from there?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Dieselsabound is offline Report Post Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jeep Cherokee TDI, 2008 Jeep JKU TDI
Malone can tune out all the unwanted sensors so you can strip the harness down to the basics.
Turbo and injectors are a good starting point, big exhaust and intercooler to keep the EGT's down in that heavier truck though I'm not sure the 58 is that much heavier then a Ranger?

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
So recently my 2002 TDI died ,water pump and and key chip reader I suspect. This car was a work car and overall very tired and worn out. Not entirely by accident I just acquired an old 58 f100 pickup that needs a motor and transmission. Now other than the obvious adaption to whatever transmission I get (still researching that aspect) I'm wondering what all would have to be done to use the 1.9 in that old of a truck? I'm ASSUMING I will still need to have the computer to control the turbo and glow plugs and such, but is there a way to delete or bypass all the "non essential" things? Also along with a water pump, timing belt, egr delete, and intake cleaning is there anything else I should do while I have the engine out? I'm also thinking I should probably do something to make it push a few more ponies since I'm looking at a heavier vehicle. What are the mist recommended ways of doing that? I am again assuming I start with larger injectors but not sure how large or where to go from there?
Thanks in advance for any advice!
Making standalone harnesses (and signal processors for those harnesses) is what I specialize in. Most people who don't have to go through any emission controls get as much as they can removed from the harness to make the installation as neat and as simple as possible. So assuming your '58 would fall into that category, this means I can reduce the harness down to the bare minimum to needed run - namely: turbo control valve, Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor, accelerator input, OBD and the basic wire inputs like 12V switched, ground, oil pressure etc. At the same time, this means that the immobilizer is removed, as well as EGR, Anti Shudder Valve, Mass Air Flow sensor and we can even delete the coolant glow plugs if necessary. Because we need to change the ECU software to accomplish all that, we also do a Stage 1 tune to get the most amount of reliable power possible with the stock hardware. If you are doing performance upgrades, we can make the software match those upgrades. Also, we upgrade the harness (1Z AHU ALH) to run dual generic 40A glow plug relays, and install a new 40A power supply relays as well. The Volkswagen power supply relays seem to be prone to failure over the long run and using generic relays ensures that the corner NAPA store would have a relay if you ever do need to get a replacement. Needless to say if you do need to pass emission tests, we can retain all that is necessary to do that. When we assemble your harness, everything is places where you need it to be, bench tested and fully documented.

For more information or pricing, please contact me offline at support@fastforward.ca

Cheers!

Dieselsabound

TDI
02 jetta 230k, 00 jetta 430k
Malone can tune out all the unwanted sensors so you can strip the harness down to the basics.
Turbo and injectors are a good starting point, big exhaust and intercooler to keep the EGT's down in that heavier truck though I'm not sure the 58 is that much heavier then a Ranger?
Weight wise I found online where the curb weight is 3529, I should lose some of that with the lighter engine as well so its not an unreasonably weighted vehicle I don't think, if I remember right the jetta are just over 3k? I'm sure it won't have the aerodynamics by any means but that's all just a conspiracy, right? Lol.

I guess I should be more specific when asking for advice on the performance side. I would like to get as much power as reasonably possible without sacrificing (much) longitivity of the engine, without tearing into the engine itself, and without changing the injector pump.

Exenos

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
180 to the crank is what I'd say is a good safe power goal if you don't want to tear into the engine too deeply.

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
It's easy to get that motor to 180 hp, but does require a turbo upgrade, 150 is the tops for the stock turbo, and would easily move that 58 truck around, an inlne 6 of that era would have only made 120-140 hp and moved the truck around, so the tdi shouldn't have much problem