Car Talk Guys BLAST VW Tdi!

justme

Veteran Member
Here's mine. The subject was "Daughter's Headaches" -- that's the kind of thing I expect they will read:

Dear Tom and Ray,

I’ve listened to your show for years, in spite of the fact that my wife thinks you are misogynists, and my 8 year old daughter says Car Talk gives her an instant bad headache. Still, I listen when I can.
I used to have somewhat more reason to listen, as I had a gas powered car that was a bit of trouble. Now that all of our cars are relatively trouble free modern diesel VWs there is less reason. And when I heard you discuss these TDI VWs recently with absolutely no knowledge at all of what you spoke, I wondered why I listen at all.

I’ve heard you do knee-jerk diesel-bashing on the air for years, but when you recently told a woman not to get a new diesel Golf because it was pokey, stinky, and hard to find fuel for, I realized you don’t know what you are talking about at all.

Pokey? When we had a gas (2.0L) Passat and a TDI Passat at the same time, the TDI could scoot up hills that would have caused the gas car to bog down and need to downshift at least one gear. Our TDI Golf can slam your back into the seat very firmly in the bottom three gears, fourth gear is no slouch - and on the highway in fifth there is always plenty of power in either our Golf or Passat to pass or accelerate without downshifting.If you drove one at high RPMs in low gear it could feel slow, but if you drive it where the power is, it is as peppy as any car I've owned.

Stinky? Modern gas and diesel cars have a slight smell, which is mostly from sulfur in the fuel; both gasoline and diesel fuel have sulfur and emit various odorous sulfides in the exhaust. I actually prefer the smell of the diesel, which is very clean burning and has a catalytic converter. Overall the diesel does emit some more NOx than many gas cars, but other emissions - CO2, CO, other hydrocarbons - are certainly lower per mile traveled in a TDI VW than in most other cars on the highway. Go to Europe. Many many TDI diesels are on the road there, a significant percentage of the cars. Do European cities have air as bad as most of the US? No. Not in my experience. However the old stinky diesel trucks and buses in the US are indeed a problem in the cities. A different story.

Hard to find fuel for? Our Passat TDI can drive for about 900 miles on a tank of fuel. There is a lot of opportunity to find fuel in 900 miles. Since at least 30% of all stations carry diesel, I can wait until about 860 miles before I start looking really hard and worrying about running out. I bet you spend more time looking for gas stations than I do.

Maybe I’ll just hang out with my wife and daughter the next time Car Talk is on. I can see why she gets a headache. She’s a smart little kid.

EnviroMan

Veteran Member
I received a response to my sarcastic e-mail.

Here it is. Either this is a form response or I passed the giggle test. I think that our collective best chance to get some coverage is to keep it funny. This is a comedy show short on facts. We'll never be able to fight them on facts. They just don't care. Just my two cents!

Dear Paul,

Please go to the Car Talk website at http://cartalk.cars.com/ and click on
Talk Back & Chat
for Cafe Dartre's Second Opinion Booth to post your verrry amusing comments!

Radio show call-in:
You can call anytime and leave a message on one of our machines. We call
back a random sampling of callers
when we tape the show. It is all spontaneous, but on tape. We produce the
show this way at the request of the radio stations to enable them to carry
the show whenever they want. (1-888-227-8255)(1-888-CARTALK)

Thanks for listening and writing. Stay tuned!!

Delphi_Wiz

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2005 Mercedes E320 CDI
I put my 0.02 cents in too.

My reply to them
>>>

1) I've driven my TDI in the coldest weather of Toronto and never had a problem starting or driving it. These guys need some re-education.
2) Stinky - No, there is no smell or smoke. Stand behind one and see it for yourself. It puts out less smoke than a Gas car.
3) Getting Diesel fuel - Not a problem, I've driven through Michigan, never had a problem refilling. With high fuel mileage you get from these TDIs, you don't refill as much either.

When a caller calls they expect an educated response and not a biased opinion. Please have these guys step out of the studio every once a while to test drive these autos, they're as antiquated as the advise they give.

Dave Bhatia

Pace

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta Tdi & 2006 Jetta Tdi
I to sent a e-mail to the effect that I to hate the TDI, it smells, it is hard to find DIESEL, but due to the fact the it smokes like a chimmeny burning coal my car insurance rates are MUCH MUCH lower due to the fact I have no tailgaters on my rearend. Please keep your degrading comments at the fore, there is no reason for us Americans to continue to pay high insurance rates. Thanks. Mark

LagoonBlueTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6sp
Don't waste your time with those two. They're just a couple of steroetypical left wing idiots. Lots of noise, but very little actual content.

chopchop

Top Post Dawg
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LagoonBlueTDI:
Don't waste your time with those two. They're just a couple of steroetypical left wing idiots. Lots of noise, but very little actual content.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or, to express it in good old Anglo-Saxon terms, "They're all wind and pi$$, just like the proverbial barber's cat!"

cgs2000

Veteran Member
I don't believe they're idiots of whatever political persuasion, but it does seem that they've gotten old and careless and are drinking more Chianti than I can afford.

BRBarian

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Five Golf TDIs!
Actually the show is neither left wing, nor right wing. These are a pair of smart guys from MIT who know a bit about cars.

If they were left wingers, you'd be hearing a lot more about the environment on their show. But they're not pushing the hybrids like other left wing people.

And they're not right wing. You don't here them ranting about the rights of SUV owners to waste fuel while commuting.

They are entertainers. They try to make their show light and funny. I'm sure that they were just joking about the TDI..

NBKrissie1

Veteran Member
The emails sent to the CarTalk dorks were great. EnviroMan, if you don't get selected by the producers for a little on air tete a tete, there is no justice!

ENUTPEN8

Veteran Member
Enviro--ditto. That's the same reply I got, and I plan on following up per their instructions. Too bad their website does not make things clear.
dbhatia--yes, they clearly don't get out much. I wonder who fills their gas tanks for them...it seems they haven't been to many fuel stations recently.
Lagoon--yes, they are lefties, who have made it big as cackling cartalkers. Diesels are not PC; hybrids are.
Anyone in Mt. Clements MI? Why not write a correction to the local newspaper, and perhaps the media will pick this up as a story. Information is the best hedge against ignorance. Driveon...NickatNight

saabguru

Veteran Member
Here's what I sent the car guys:

Dear Tom and Ray:

I'm a longtime listener to and fan of your NPR radio show, "Car Talk". Your irreverence, and willingness to "tell it like it is" are very refreshing, and in these litigious times, very rare.
Unfortunately, you two have come out against what I believe is one of the finest high-efficiency vehicles available to the general public today, VWs, equipped with the turbo direct injected diesel (TDi)engine. It has come to my attention, that during one of your shows, you basically gave this car a strong "thumbs down" when a listener called, asking your opinion of the TDi. You said they were "pokey, smelly, and hard to find fuel for". Wrong, wrong, and wrong. I drive one. It will go 115 Miles Per Hour. It will take nearly any hill, fully loaded,in overdrive, with no downshifting.On a recent family vacation, my 1998 VW Jetta TDi, 5 speed, attained 50 miles per gallon on one leg of our trip, on Interstate 40, westbound, going through Arizona, where the speed limit is 75 MPH ;-). The car had 4 adults on board, along with a trunkload of luggage. We navigated the roads around Lake Tahoe on this trip, stopping overnight at my Dad's father-in-law's cabin in Glenbrook,Nevada, altitude approxamately 7000', before returning home to central Texas. We drove at our chosen (legal)speed all the way up the hill. We had several choices of stations from which to fuel the car , shopping for the best price on diesel, as the car is NOT finicky about having the best fuel to burn. Oh, by the way, my Jetta has over 100,000 miles on it, and she used just 2 ounces of Amsoil 10W40 over the ENTIRE 3000 mile trip.She makes zzero smoke when cruising, and very light smoke under a heavy load. Would you drive one, so you too may see the light of the manifold joys and very tangible benefits of TDi ownership? You are doing your listeners a decided disservice in the rendering of a negative opinion of the TDi engine offered by VW.They absolutely rock.

Cordially,
Lance J. Duchesneau
lance@mbz.org

Mike Piles

Veteran Member
TDI
Here is the email I sent.

Hello,

I understand that you were bad mouthing the Volkswagen TDI as being 1. Pokey. 2. Smelly. 3. Hard to Find Fuel For.

Pokey
NOT!!! with the low end torque the TDI it will comw out of the hole like a scalded dog (even Stock mine is) I can come down off the exit ramp onto highway 55 and be doing 75 to 80 mph.
The TDI will easily cruise all day long at 90 mph.

Smelly
Maybe, on start up it smells like a normal diesel engine after warm up and the catalytic conver kicks in it does smell differeny. But at least it does not smell like ROTTEN EGGS.

Hard to Find Fuel For
I have never had trouble finding fuel for it. Last weekend coming home from Chicago I drove 371 miles and got 52.07 MPG traveling at highway speeds (i.e. with the fast guys, not babying it along for better MPG) My monthly simple average MPG is listed below. I bought the car new May 19,2000. All figures represent mixed driving.

June 2000 42.6 MPG Begin mileage 962
July 45.0
August 39.0
September 41.6
October 45.3
November 42.8
December 39.7
January 2001 42.7
February 42.0
March 45.4
April 45.0
May 43.0
June 44.8
July 39.7
August 45.3 Ending milage 32955

I can say without reservation that it is the best car I've ever owned, I hope to get atleast 500,000 miles out of it. FYI Diesel is an oil therefore a lubricant Gasoline is a solvent. By the way if you search your website for TDI you will find "very favorable" reports vastly outnumber the "bad reports"
Please get the facts straight.

Sincerely yours,
Michael J Piles