Coincidence that new oil leak starts after EGR hose change?

ctpayne

TDI
2013 Touareg
Hoping somebody can help me determine if my recent oil leak is related to recent service or just a coincidence that it happened right after I had it serviced. I'm a single lady who loves her Touareg but I have no knowledge about diesel engines.

I have a 2013 Touareg with 193,000 miles - I bought it when it had about 60,000 miles and it has been a great and reliable vehicle.

At my last oil change (Dec) I had the dealer check for a coolant leak because I was having to top off the coolant and could smell coolant at times while driving. I was told that the hose leading to the EGR needed to be changed but they didn't seem concerned that I keep driving and just get it done in the next few months.

It appeared that the leak was getting worse as I could smell it more and it seemed like I was adding coolant more often so I was ready to get it taken care of - took it to the dealer and got the work done. I also needed to get my brakes and rotors replaced (at a different, local repair shop to save money) so I took it straight from the dealer to the local shop (at least 30 miles).

While they were doing the brakes they noticed an oil leak, they said it would not leak while on the lift but as soon as he drove it around there would be oil slinging around everywhere. He cleaned it off 2x and tried to figure out where the leak was coming from but could not find it (I had already told him it was just serviced and I was going to take it back to the VW place if it was caused by their recent repair). He said the leak was so bad that he would not recommend driving it the long way to the dealership so I had it towed back to the dealer.

There had been no leak or indicator light prior to my taking it to the VW place for service. My son drove from the dealer to the local shop while I drove the car I was borrowing while my car was in the shop so I don't know if anything seemed odd but he did say no warning lights came on and it seemed like everything was normal.

My main issue - could replacing the hose have anything to do with this new oil leak? As far as I know right now the VW tech has had it on the lift and can't get it to leak but I told them same thing happened at local shop and leak only presents itself when driving. I just don't want to be taken advantage of and get charged for fixing an oil leak that was more than likely caused by the hose change (I have not been told that I am going to be charged but I want to be prepared with facts ahead of time, just in case).

Thank you!!

Fourdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Touareg V10 TDI
The answer depends on figuring out just where the oil is coming from. I'll leave the issue of just what might have had to happen to change the EGR coolant hose to others more familiar with that specific engine but I'd be skeptical of the VW dealer's ability to give you an honest answer. They have NO incentive to tell you it was their mistake - no matter how nice the Service Advisor is!