Front Exhaust Flex Pipe??

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
Hi all. So that little flex exhaust pipe in the front under my car, i think is leaking exhaust. Don't know anything about this pipe need to research it more. Seems worse when it's really cold. Is this something that i need an exhaust shop to do or can i replace myself?? Any welding involved??

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
The flex pipe goes from the turbo outlet to a union under the car. It is part of the catalyst system. You could probably weld in a new one yourself, or if you wanted to do away with the feline, put a straight pipe in.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Welding is definitely involved. I have replaced them in the past but there is few pitfalls.

1. Replacement flexpipe MUST be of high quality or it won't last. These engines move a LOT and typical auto part store flexpipes will fall apart within a year. Learned that the hard way.
2.Alignment is critical or you WILL get nasty vibration in the car. I use a holding jig to cut the old one out and weld in the new one in exactly same place.
3. The cat helps the smell and has absolutely no drawbacks. Flows plenty for the engine. Leave it alone.
4.The pipe from the cat to the center clamp is made a garbage steel while the rest of the exhaust is 409 stainless. They are notorious for rotting out there, replace that pipe if you are already welding on the downpipe.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Did you install it yourself??

It was a joint effort, my guru let me use one of his lifts, and provided
input while I did most of it. The only hassle with a 2.5" was getting a
wrench on the flange to turbo nuts, limited clearance on the top one.
Slow and awkward but doable. An extra hand while lining everything
up is helpfull. I did the full exhaust with a cat delete, resonator at the
end. I was surprised at how quiet it ended up.

Nyk

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
I was surprised at how quiet it ended up.

I currently have a 2.5" straight pipe that's a little too loud for my tastes as a daily driver. I'm currently trying to decide between a resonator or muffler or both. What are your thoughts on just the resonator, and any recommendations?

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI

I currently have a 2.5" straight pipe that's a little too loud for my tastes as a daily driver. I'm currently trying to decide between a resonator or muffler or both. What are your thoughts on just the resonator, and any recommendations?

https://mufflerexpress.com/collections/mufflers-vw

Muffler express works for me, I have a downturn on the tip, and instead of a muffler, their "performance kit" had the resonator in the
same position as the stock muffler.

The turbo chops up the exhaust anyway, so even a straight pipe exhaust is not as loud as a gasser. I'd suggest just try a resonator
first. No restriction, and while it's a tad louder than stock, it's not
objectionable, at least for me or my significant other.

YMMV, (your mileage may vary)

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
Nice Rrusse11! The lifts must have been nice to use!

Omigod yes! I cheerfully throw him a twenty for the use thereof.
And if I'm around I help pushing cars in and out of the shop, cleaning
the occassional part, sweep the floor, whatever. Lol, and listen to
their stories.

I'm getting to old and fat to crawl under vehicles anymore. :D

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Welding is definitely involved. I have replaced them in the past but there is few pitfalls.

1. Replacement flexpipe MUST be of high quality or it won't last. These engines move a LOT and typical auto part store flexpipes will fall apart within a year. Learned that the hard way.

3. The cat helps the smell and has absolutely no drawbacks. Flows plenty for the engine. Leave it alone.
If I'm smelling something is it more likely to be the cat rotted out or that pipe you're talking about?

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
Omigod yes! I cheerfully throw him a twenty for the use thereof.
And if I'm around I help pushing cars in and out of the shop, cleaning
the occassional part, sweep the floor, whatever. Lol, and listen to
their stories.

I'm getting to old and fat to crawl under vehicles anymore. :D
The right equipment makes the job soo much easier!