Long term reliability DSG + Stg 2 tune

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
What did he say about servicing a 2016 manual transmission from VW?

What do you even mean by "servicing" anyway? You don't seem to be aware of what can or can't go wrong with a DSG's internals (or a current year manual transmission, frankly) and so the questions you ask someone about repairing either aren't likely to be accurate.

Here's what happened: you got a flat tire. I came over and said, oh that's no big deal, just call any ole tire place and get a new one put on. You then called the most expensive tire shop in town because you think their opinion would surely be expert level but you told them, "I've got a busted wheel, do you service wheels?" and they predictably told you, no, we don't work on wheels and in fact you probably are going to just have to replace it. Then you came back to me and said, whoa man this seems like a really complicated repair after all, the best shop in town doesn't even work on wheels!"

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
If you want an automatic that performs like a manual(better in some ways), the dsg is about as good as it gets. In stock configuration they can hold more torque than the OE mt clutch. They are more versatile in a day and age when most Americans don't even know how to drive a stick. But they are more complex than the purely mechanical manual trans. Bottom line is the dsg should be pretty reliable with a stage 2 tune, but you'll probably be spending an extra ~$400 for a dsg tune.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/classified/automotive/sc-auto-cover-manual-transmissions-20180710-story.html

Last edited:

mercdude

TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6SPD
About $1500-2000 for the 02q. Expensive but mostly for the labor to remove trans.

Service as in repair synchro etc, not maintenance items like clutch/flywheel. But in this case I asked simply about replacing a clutch. Sorry you don’t like facts but they are what they are.

If you can work on them yourself I’m sure they’re fine but for the rest of us....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Mods, please lock and trash this thread, it's been a long time since I've seen this level of derp and misinformation in a thread. We don't need more people with no mechanical knowledge getting even more confused and spreading more fake news.

Bizzle, I like your analogy.

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
W t f is going on here?!? If you don’t have mechanical knowledge or ability please tell me how you can weigh in on this. Kevinski4 is right. Dump this thread. It’s getting really annoying seeing what mind numbing opinions are being wrote here. Maybe I’m just insane.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
That's insane. I wonder how much the wheelie bars really help in a fwd drag car. I've noticed that most of the sub 10s fwd diesel drag cars don't run them. Maybe it's more about stability in a short wheelbase car.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Just talked to a shop in my area this morning - they won’t touch a dsg and only refer out to the dealership. Along with that, he doesn’t know a shop that will work on a dsg either. And then he expressed sincere sorrow for anyone with a dsg (vag or other).

Well if I were you I would find another shop that has knowledgeable competent mechanics. If you use them for your general work I would also seek another shop as they don't know very much or have any great mechanical skills.

mercdude

TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6SPD
Cool. Then why doesn’t everyone here with extensive knowledge throw some real world numbers from transmission shops that will do basic work on dsg trans. Give data not opinions... this is supposed to be a helpful/informative thread.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Cool. Then why doesn’t everyone here with extensive knowledge throw some real world numbers from transmission shops that will do basic work on dsg trans. Give data not opinions... this is supposed to be a helpful/informative thread. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What do you consider basic work? Change the fluid? What kind of data do you want?

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
DSG service will need the use of vcds or something comparable to read the trans temp when changing the fluid to make sure the correct amount is added. As for changing a whole unit they are 90% the same as a standard shift so labor rates will differ from shop to shop ontop of what a used unit cost if going that route. As for tearing into one and fixing it is going to be a pretty penny be it the mechtrinic unit on the side of the trans. Or go even deeper inside to shafts gears synchros bearings shift forks and so on. Does that shed any light?

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
DSG service will need the use of vcds or something comparable to read the trans temp when changing the fluid to make sure the correct amount is added. As for changing a whole unit they are 90% the same as a standard shift so labor rates will differ from shop to shop ontop of what a used unit cost if going that route. As for tearing into one and fixing it is going to be a pretty penny be it the mechatronic unit on the side of the trans. Or go even deeper inside to shafts gears synchros bearings shift forks and so on. Does that shed any light?

1. Drain fluid
2. Replace drain plugs
3. Remove Battery
4. Remove filter housing
5. Remove Filter
6. Add 4.5 liters of DSG fluid through filter hole(a funnel helps a lot)
7. Replace filter
8. Replace filter housing
9. Replace battery
10. Drive on
Forget about the VCDS BS
If your mechanic/technician can change your oil they can change the DSG fluid if not well as I eluded to before......find a different shop!

How many DSG Transmissions with catastrophic repairs have been reported on this forum?

Does that shed any light?

Move on

Last edited:

GEFP

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 2001 Jettas, 2 - 2002 Jettas (1 for parts) 2003 1.8t Jetta (parts) 2014 Jetta
So I would be in the camp that say's don't shut this thread down. Here's what I've learned so far. That a DSG is a pretty reliable strong transmission. It needs to be serviced regularly. Service is simple enough to do yourself.

These are my own thoughts. I can't see it being that much more difficult than a regular manual transmission to overhaul as that's essentially what they are. I would love to do one just for the experience.

Last edited:

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
Now we are getting somewhere! I think flywheels chatter is the most common problem I have seen so far. Mine chatters in park but other than that it has no problems.

mercdude

TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6SPD
What do you consider basic work? Change the fluid? What kind of data do you want?

Beyond fluid replacement and before replacing synchros - essentially clutch and flywheels. I honestly wouldn’t know where to have a dsg serviced in my area for those needs. I mean getting 200-300k+ out of there tdi is why everyone buys them (I assume)... so after that period of time a clutch will need to be replaced. If you can’t/don’t want to replace yourself, what options are available and how much does it cost?

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
The flywheel is the same as the manual flywheel and is replaced the same way. The clutch pack (and mechantronic unit) is external to the transmission. Any mechanic capable of changing a clutch can change a clutch pack. They are bolted inside the bellhousing in roughly the same way in approximately the same place. I even described the process of how to change one. I also provided links to the parts and videos on how to do them.

If you don't want to call more than one shop local to you, then I'm not going to sit here and try to find a Bay Area shop that knows what it's doing for you to check pricing. That's a silly request of you to make. I get the impression you didn't even bother clicking on the links I posted earlier but here's another one: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...f96k&ll=37.72649074605094,-122.04163357812502

mercdude

TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6SPD
This is not for me I don’t own a dsg trans vehicle (and I don’t live in the Bay Area, for the record). And I understand what you’re saying about the mechanics, now can someone share of a place near them that will do the work and how much that will cost. This not a silly request, this Should help inform what real life (longevity) costs will be for the vag dsg.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, I understand you don't own one and more to the point you aren't interested in owning one. Yet, here you are arguing with those of us who do own DSGs and some of us who do work on cars equipped with DSGs telling us that they are mysterious and expensive despite not having the foggiest notion of the work involved or even bothering to educate yourself on the topic. That's what makes this "discussion" silly, or better stated, a waste of time.

Your location states that you're in Northern California and you claimed to have called a transmission repair shop in a major metro on the West Coast. I don't know where you live and I'm not obligated to provide you a list of shops within walking distance to your door. But I provided a map of diesel mechanics in your general region, which is going to be more relevant to you than reporting whatever a shop in San Diego or Los Angeles tells me.

Who knows what me posting whatever I did find would be believed. You didn't bother to believe the links I've already posted, which you can literally verify yourself and you're unwilling to call any TDI mechanics to verify what I'm saying (and some of those mechanics have opined in this thread) for yourself. It seems to me that you are arguing to prove yourself correct to yourself about something that you already believe rather than you being curious about something that you want to understand.

There is no amount of information that is going to move you away from your firmly rooted opinion. My opinion didn't matter, the facts I posted didn't matter, and other people's opinions who do this for a living didn't matter, and the only thing that mattered to you was one professional's opinion who mirrored what you already believed when you called him (assuming you actually called anyone).

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
Well who is from that area that can make some referrals? Anyone?
Which area? The gigantic map filled with vetted TDI specific mechanics that is maintained on this site?

If you can't figure out how find someone qualified to do the work using that map then your next option seems to be to call your dealer service center and ask them how much they'll charge you.

If you can't make sense from the obvious reality of almost all TDIs being equipped with DSGs along with almost no threads existing on this forum complaining about DSGs other than personal preference, then no amount of me calling random shops around my local area to get pricing on a job no one actually needs done is going to further the conversation.

mercdude

TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6SPD
Wow so this is how the forum rolls... don’t like opposing opinions/contrary facts and then start personal attacks. So, you’re right this is a waste of time because you guys are absolutely fanatical that the vehicle you purchased is without fault.

All I did was call a local shop that routinely does tdi trans work in my area and ask how much they would charge, as a service to this forum - Aka, I already did my homework, I don’t need to do it again. If the dsg is really that solid then why the reluctance to pick up a phone and give us some real world info from a shop? Are you saying that I’m the only one that can do that??? Yes we might not believe you but that’s better than just pointing fingers and calling fake news.

But ya you’re right there is no point so I’m done.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
Now I’m getting a little lost with this. The Bay Area was mentioned above so I was referring to that area bizzle.
I'm in Southern California. I don't know anyone in Northern California so I posted a link to a map that lists all known TDI gurus in his region.

Your profile says you're in Pennsylvania. If you're curious about how much it would cost to have a guru check out your DSG or what they would estimate for a flywheel and/or clutch replacement you need to call someone in your area.

I was using this thread for the information: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=130044

If you prefer a list instead of a map, that thread also provides a google doc list of TDI gurus: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Lucw8ALCkLtt79MMw9JOG1E_dX57-raBhbhIFdtHnEQ/edit?hl=en_US

Me finding someone in Southern California isn't going to inform anyone about what the same job is going to cost in their area. It's not even helpful information unless someone needs to job done right now rather than 200K miles from now because parts and labor costs aren't static over time.

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
I am not curious in the least as I’ve state a few times I know how to work on my own car. I’m not so sure you are reading much into other people’s post in this thread. Rather quick to jump the gun on someone when you haven’t read much of what they have been saying.