Are you driving a stock or tuned '15 Golf TDI (post fix)?

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI, was 06 Jetta TDI, 15 q7 tdi, was 11 Q7 TDI
Do you love your stock post fix Golf TDI? or are you tuned?
Found a low mileage 2015 Golf TDI 6MT about an hour away.... I took it for a 15 minute test drive through the north end of the GTA...
Everything seems to work fine on it, - the vent for the rear seats is busted, but I can get a part from china for under $20. VCDS indicates a few misc faults, but most had a fault frequency of 1, and a recorded date of October and November 2018, and less than 100km ago... I think they should go away If I clear the modules... HVAC flapper motor, not at requested x1, something with the ABS module, but the code was pointed to a fault with the driver door contact switch - that one is a bit odd... Passenger seat heat - but the interwebs says that is an incompatibility issue with VCDS. - the Passenger seat heat works as designed.
The issue is the "AEM" warranty.... Man it would be nice to not loose that, but honestly, I was not impressed with the driveability/ soul of the vehicle I test drove.
My previous daily drivers were
2002 Jetta 1.8T 5spd - bought new, I put a tune on it after the powertrain warranty expired - maybe somewhere around 2006, (APR 91) but I was happy with the stock tune til that point.. I kept that car until 2014
2006 Jetta BRM TDI also 5 spd. - bought that in 2014, so no warranty, and then I put a Malone Stage 1.5 tune on it from a local Malone dealer. Car still runs fine. New Valeo SMF clutch within the past 2 yrs - I can get a little slippage in 5th at around 2K rpm if the engine is feeling awake, and I go a little hard on the go pedal, new headliner last year, AUX heater finally works, and a couple doors recently repainted for rust spots... I just put an Android Head Unit in it this fall.
---
The 2015 Golf TDI I am looking at has 6-7 yrs and around 180,000km of warranty left on the emissions and PT... With my current driving habits, that would take me 5-6yrs to hit 180,000km.
I don't know if I want to drive it stock for that long....
----
I'm going to check it out again this weekend and see if it has any of the VCDS tweaks - Direct Response for the pedal, and Vibration Reduction off... I hope to turn them on, (dealership where it was at already let me scan with VCDS) and go for another test drive.... Hopefully the next time won't be in such heavy traffic, and I can see if pressing the go pedal actually makes the car move..
----
I was really hoping to do a Malone Stage 2 tune with Flashzilla, and have the opportunity to go back to the stock file if I ever needed to take it back to the dealership for any Engine or Emissions work.
I believe it will get a 2nd DPF anyways before I am done with the car, and this should not be denied due to a higher than expected flash count on the ECU....
----
Also researching DTUK tuning boxes, but they don't seem as good as a tune... and they are also pricey.
-----
Decisions....

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Two VCDS modifications will improve the “soul” of the vehicle for free:

— changing the throttle response to linear
— disabling the setting that prevents tire chattering at mashing the pedal from a dead stop (forget what it’s called but it’s talked about in this forum)

Your car your decision, but with VW seemingly fighting any and all warranty repairs I am sticking with stock.

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
Thx myth and darth,

Those settings are what I am looking to test tomorrow. I hope it is as easy as as what I've seen on YouTube.

Peter

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

sapgar

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI 6MT
Totally agree with the 2 VCDS mods. If you have the cable, they are "free" so why not. Its turning off vibration reduction and the torque limiter:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5392096&postcount=29 and http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5389118&postcount=21

I got the KERMA tune and love it. I recommend it highly. If Malone is more convenient for you, go for them. Either tune is worth it in my opinion

I’m right on the edge of getting the Kerma tune and the VCDS mods at a local shop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Still stock with about 22 k miles on it. It's a refined machine - much better so than my MkV. If I ever get a cable and a PC, I may toy with the throttle response and getting rid of chatter and the torque limiter. Still, I drive on ice about half of the year, so limiting torue probably allows me to accelerate better more often than I might guess.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
TCS does more on slick surfaces than the VCDS hacks, but yeah either way if there's no traction the VCDS mods aren't life changing.

chattowntdi

TDI
‘15 golf 6mt Malone stage 2, Buzzken delete, '04 Jetta 5 speed (sold), '02 Jetta 5 speed (also sold)
I just bought a 15 a week ago and slapped a Malone stage 2 tune on her last night with the flashzilla. All I can say is wow! Like a whole different car. This is my 3rd tdi with the last being a highly modded alh. With the stage 2 from Malone I dare say it’s just as strong a runner. Mileage has been great in this short time of ownership and I have been impressed all around by the car. However, I agree that the first gear “lag” is horrible from the factory.

Tsquare86

TDI
2015 Sportwagen TDI
Mine is stock and I did the mods listed above to improve the feel of the car through the VCDS and not risking the Warranty. -> Solid improvement!

So far, this thing tows my ATV on the freeway at 80mph hitting about 25mpg no problem in 5th. Otherwise, I'm ok with the general performance of the car.

Those of you with the tune I am jealous about the improved MPG and Torque (indirectly power). :(

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
I went to test the car a 2nd time this morning. I was able to switch the driving control to linear and the shudder vibration to "normal"
The Shudder Vibration was originally set to "strong", my vehicle (yeah I bought it) only had maximum, strong or normal as the options.
1st gear is pretty short to do any meaningful acceleration, and I can live with the throttle response in 2nd and 3rd....
I believe it is an improvement to the 1st test drive I had a WEEK ago...
I got a decent price on it I think... 2015 Golf TDI 6MT, base model, pleather no electric aux heater... only 66,000km (41K miles) It was the cheapest,newest, lowest mileage manual Golf TDI in the classifieds....
Threads useless without pics, so here are 2.

Last edited:

Angus1

TDI
'15 GSW TDI 6MT
I think that may be an se model. I have an s wagen no factory heated seats or fog lights on mine. Your car has both. Congratulations.

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
I have a 2015 GSW fully deleted with straight pipe and malone stage 2 tune, manual.

I found it not enough for me.
I will be installing a CR190 hybrid soon from xmanturbos

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1059963127494416&id=264464090377661

Malone had tested one and results were 195hp and 335 ft/lb to wheels

If your on instagram at all this is my account

https://instagram.com/badgeskins_mk7wagon?utm_source=ig_profile_share&igshid=3csxja929ftx

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
I have a 2015 GSW fully deleted with straight pipe and malone stage 2 tune, manual.

I found it not enough for me.
I will be installing a CR190 hybrid soon from xmanturbos

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1059963127494416&id=264464090377661

Malone had tested one and results were 195hp and 335 ft/lb to wheels

If your on instagram at all this is my account

https://instagram.com/badgeskins_mk7wagon?utm_source=ig_profile_share&igshid=3csxja929ftx

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Turbo looks nice. Price delivered? Other parts required for install?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
odd I thought all canadian TDIs came with coolant heaters.

Also check out removing clutch delay valve, I've heard it makes a huge improvement as well.

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
I'm about 14,000 miles post fixes. I've put the Stage 2 Malone on soon after that and was a noticeable improvement. Very happy nearly a year later.

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
odd I thought all canadian TDIs came with coolant heaters.

Also check out removing clutch delay valve, I've heard it makes a huge improvement as well.

There is a covered plug built into the grill by the driverside fog light...

unfortunately the cord was pilfered by the previous owner and not returned on trade in. (Proprietory plug it looks like)

Car is garaged nightly throughout the winter... so no real 'need' for the plug in heater...

I am toying with the idea of adding the aux cabin heater to my car though and hopefully programming it in with vcds...

sapgar

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI 6MT
Mine is stock and I did the mods listed above to improve the feel of the car through the VCDS and not risking the Warranty. -> Solid improvement!

So far, this thing tows my ATV on the freeway at 80mph hitting about 25mpg no problem in 5th. Otherwise, I'm ok with the general performance of the car.

Those of you with the tune I am jealous about the improved MPG and Torque (indirectly power). :(

Do I need some kind of cable to do the throttle and torque mods?

JeffsSportWagen

Usually between the Florida Gulf Coast & Treasure
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen S TDI/dsg
I bought a previously owned DieselGate GSW S a year ago in December. Took it for Phase 2 this past December. Definitely on the fence between tuning and the extended warranty. For now my budget requires me to stay stock and I do enjoy the car the way it is, so I'm okay with that. However, I have had an opportunity or 2 to drive tuned VeeDubs in the past so I'm also aware of the potential.

While I've wanted a TDI for almost 20 years, this is my first VeeDub, my first TDI and my first turbo. Loving it so far.

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm researching piggyback tuning, there is not much 1st hand experience here in it....

I would like to keep the powertrain and emissions warranty intact as well. The last time I had any warranty on my daily driver was probably 2005.!

Coming from a Malone stage 1.5 tuned brm jetta, I am finding that there is not much power below 2100rpm...i am finding that I have to shift it more like a gasser than a diesel at the moment.

If I could piggyback tune it and get some more low end torque (say 1500-2200 rpm) I would be much happier.

The gear change indicator is pretty bad, it wants me to cruise in 6th at 80kph (50mph/below 1500 rpm ),but the engine seems to have problems keeping speed if there is any sort of incline.

Oh yeah, got it Tinted today 35% in the front, 20% in the back.... Some sort of ceramic infused tint.

In the spring, going to refinish those peeling and corroded winter alloys... Probably going to go with a graphite (dark grey). New center caps ordered on eBay yesterday.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If you value the warranty leave it alone. If you give them any reason to reject you they probably will. Why can't you just accept the fact that if you want to mess with the computer that controls everything you should be liable for anything that happens and not VW? The warranty is for those cars as VW produced them. Good luck but you are just asking for trouble in my opinion (warranty wise).

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
I just bought a 15 a week ago and slapped a Malone stage 2 tune on her last night with the flashzilla. All I can say is wow! Like a whole different car. This is my 3rd tdi with the last being a highly modded alh. With the stage 2 from Malone I dare say it’s just as strong a runner. Mileage has been great in this short time of ownership and I have been impressed all around by the car. However, I agree that the first gear “lag” is horrible from the factory.
Anymore updates on the tune?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
Bought a "new" one. Tuned at 7,000 miles with a complete ****OFFROAD**** straight pipe install. Now at 34,000 miles of 100% *****OFFROAD***** driving. Only have one really big problem with the tune, and it's that my Mk6 exhaust was way louder, so I feel existential weight. But functionally, it's actually faster than the Mk6 with a straight pipe was and also objectively better. Drives better.

Oh, flywheel shudders like a mofo below 2000 RPM if the balls are applied to the wall. No solution here besides changing driving habits or an aftermarket single piece solution. Clutches have been half and half - according to my tuner, some people lost the clutch a couple thousand miles after the tune, yet other had 30,000+ miles and had the clutch looking brand new when they upgraded. I guess there's a varying level of quality in this particular component of these cars.

I preferred the power steering in the Mk6, but it's hard to describe. Also the Mk7 seats are trash. And it's white. And four doors. And more plastic, but those things are all difficult to objectively weigh.

Last edited:

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
Do I need some kind of cable to do the throttle and torque mods?

I did it with a VCDS cable, and software on a windows laptop...

Same thing as vagcom or ross-tech. Google will come up with links to the website.

sapgar

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI 6MT
I did it with a VCDS cable, and software on a windows laptop...

Same thing as vagcom or ross-tech. Google will come up with links to the website.

I had a local shop change the throttle and change the vibration reduction from strong to normal... results in a more predictable power delivery IMO. I test drove a DSG/ECU tuned mk7 (w/o the throttle mod) and wasn’t wowed in city driving. I was also able to drive Kerma’s black development car with 6MT, larger turbo, throttle setting and ECU tune. I was really impressed with that one.

chattowntdi

TDI
‘15 golf 6mt Malone stage 2, Buzzken delete, '04 Jetta 5 speed (sold), '02 Jetta 5 speed (also sold)
Petee_c

Sorry just saw your question to me. Not sure what you are looking for as far as updates. I did experience some dmf shudder so Mark and Owain at Malone quickly made a small change and since reflashing with the updated tune the dmf shudder is gone. Other that than my fuel mileage has steadily increased with each tank. Granted I’ve only had the car for a month and a few days but first tank was 41.1 mpg hand calculated and last was 42.6. Mostly city driving. 4th refill. Also, I’m a horrible forum user so not sure how to quote and whatnot. Hopefully you’ll see this.