2015 Passat Oil Change...avoid the waterfall?

c3kTDi

TDI
2015 Passat
My 2015 Passat TDi SEL has stock. The oil filter is in front of the engine, above a small pump and cables.

Is there any way to remove the filter cap and filter, without the old oil waterfalling all over the front of the engine???

I've cut the cable ties, removed the plug from the small coolant pump, etc., just to make room for the cap and filter to be removed, but, even when I unscrew the center of the cap, the draining oil gets all over everything.

And, yes, I pull the filter AFTER draining the pan, so the only oil left is that which is still in the filter/filter housing.

All the videos/faqs I've seen show versions which have the oil filter access from the TOP of the engine.

I've owned/worked on multiple VR6 powered VWs... This oil filter location is the worst.

Any pointers to a clean method of changing the oil filter would be appreciated.

Thanks.

750HMF

TDI
2015 Passat comfortline TDI
It's not that bad once u get use to it. The first time I changed it, I cracked loose the drain plug, then I held a ziploc bag over filter, then removed the drain plug carefully so it wouldn't spill all over.

But I got bored with that and now I loosen drain till feel last thread, then remove quickly so oil drops straight down and doesn't splash everything else.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

750HMF

TDI
2015 Passat comfortline TDI
I forgot to mention that I also unplug that wire and move to the side, and it's a 10mm wrench to remove bolt that holds circulating coolant heater, then use a small bungee cord to pull it to the side out of the way.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
When I had my 2002 Jetta it was easy, suck the oil out through the dipstick hole. Unscrew the filter cap.
You could almost do it wearing a suit.
I'm getting to old to do this crap now on my Passat, I'll pay to have somebody else do it now!

c3kTDi

TDI
2015 Passat
When I had my 2002 Jetta it was easy, suck the oil out through the dipstick hole. Unscrew the filter cap.
You could almost do it wearing a suit.
I'm getting to old to do this crap now on my Passat, I'll pay to have somebody else do it now!
Didn't the '02 Jetta have the oil filter cap facing the hood?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Idparts sells a small funnel and hose that will capture the contents once you undo the filter drain plug.

I usually grab a small plastic bottle (coke bottle or life water) from the recycling, cut the top off (3" diameter catch) and use that as a catch, it's free. Some dabbling on the back side of the block happens, I just wipe clean. The housing holds something like 4-6 oz, not much but seems like gallons once splattering and smearing all over the place.

I have more issues with catching the regular oil plug and avoiding splashing once that 6L falls into the catch bin, I usually hold it up as close to the plug as I can until flows subside to more normal torrent.

c3kTDi

TDI
2015 Passat
Idparts sells a small funnel and hose that will capture the contents once you undo the filter drain plug.

I usually grab a small plastic bottle (coke bottle or life water) from the recycling, cut the top off (3" diameter catch) and use that as a catch, it's free. Some dabbling on the back side of the block happens, I just wipe clean. The housing holds something like 4-6 oz, not much but seems like gallons once splattering and smearing all over the place.

I have more issues with catching the regular oil plug and avoiding splashing once that 6L falls into the catch bin, I usually hold it up as close to the plug as I can until flows subside to more normal torrent.
Drain plug: I have Dimple brand magnetic plug there, now. Outstanding product . (In the past, I've been partial to the Fumoto ball valve replacement for drain plugs. You slip a tube over the nipple, open the petcock, and drain the oil out the hose.)

Off to IDparts to give them more of my money.
Thanks.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have an 106 sitting the the drawer and a busted adapter (from over torquing), I've just head clearance is a bit tight on the '15s.

LeeM

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE, 2002 Jetta Reflex Silver
The filter element is easier to remove and insert on the 2015. Dealing with the oil in the filter housing on the 2015 is more difficult for me. I managed to overflow the funnel I used during the initial draining the filter housing. Note to self, keep the funnel tightly up against the filter housing cap. Then, between the slope of my driveway and the ramps under the front wheels, the car is at a high enough angle to completely drain the oil pan. However, it also allows any oil draining out of the oil filter housing after the filter is removed to run down the block, then get between the oil pan and the oil pan cover. The oil then makes it way to the opening in the oil pan cover for the oil pan drain plug. It made me wonder for a while if I had failed to sufficiently tighten the drain plug.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'd say the 2015, only in the sense I could never easily get the CKRA filter housing around the HP EGR hose without really muckling on the wire loom on the drivers side, I fear that loom would eventually fatigue so I always unbolted the HP EGR pipe as much as i good to give some more clearance.

If I toss a fumoto on the 2015, it'll be almost as easy as the CJAA or my 1.8T.