Who else is having AdBlue issues?

speedtek

TDI
2013 Passat Highline
****ty dude. Let us know how you make out, seeing as your living out west and we don't have the same laws as the States for something like this at all.
Regards
Well, full write up to come later, but let's just say for now...

VW and Saskatoon VW Center Rock!!

Last edited:

Ramairetransam

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
Another problem , adblue related now .

same guy , had bad brakes, had to miss work to have the car towed for a dead battery . umm what else , left the lot with the exhaust flap code on .

Now today just before work i get the adblue light. 200 mile range , take an early lunch to get it filled up and it took almost none . So they did the key on for 30 seconds they told me and now the light is still on. It may need a regen for it to clear .

Why wont it clear its ****ing full? so i have a tech tips sheet about it tech tip 26-12-02

12-13 passat tdi adblue level reset procedure.

Needless to say im pissed , no ****ing loaners , and i need to get back to work , so i took up but they left the case open . The tech feels it needs a regen and that will clear it up . Im gonna upload the a pic of the sheet i got .

I want out of this car i bought 3 weeks ago and want a brand new 13 . Im so f cking pissed.

Ramairetransam

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
got the light turned off. Thanks to the internet . If i didnt have the internet it would be at the shop

Drove home on the thruway at 64 mph in 5th gear , dsg in manual mode. and at the 9 min mark of not going below the 60 mph or 2000 rpms the light cleared.

What does a regen have to do with the level of urea. I dont get this gd vw .

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
It shouldn't have anything to do with it. Perhaps the light clearing was just a coincidence.

zulu125

TDI
2004 Jetta PD & 2014 Passat DSG
adblue Warning light

Hello everybody,
I am a new tdi Passat 2014 owner with 1100 Km and yesterday the Adblue and CEL light came on after driving 300km at a temperature of minus 20 Celcius (200 MILES at 0 F).
Since it is the holidays period I have to wait until friday to go to the dealer.
The warning says chat the car wont start in 350 km if I don't refuel the Adblue tank.
What happened to those who reported a similar problem before, was VW able to resolve this issue and if so what did they do, did they find the real cause and was it a final solution?
Happy new year to the tdi forum friends.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Sorry to hear of your trouble with a new car, but it's impossible to compare your issue with anyone else's, since you don't know yet what your problem is! It could be as simple as an under-filled adblue tank.
Should be easy to check and add adblue yourself. I'd start with that. Just be careful you don't spill any.

zulu125

TDI
adblue Warning light

Thank you for your feedback, I will keep you informed when I will see the dealer.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
I bet they didn't fill it during pre sale inspection.

Nebelwerfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
Hello everybody,
I am a new tdi Passat 2014 owner with 1100 Km and yesterday the Adblue and CEL light came on after driving 300km at a temperature of minus 20 Celcius (200 MILES at 0 F).
Since it is the holidays period I have to wait until friday to go to the dealer.
The warning says chat the car wont start in 350 km if I don't refuel the Adblue tank.
What happened to those who reported a similar problem before, was VW able to resolve this issue and if so what did they do, did they find the real cause and was it a final solution?
Happy new year to the tdi forum friends.
Mine came on the other day, same story. Bought some DEF and I'll be filling it maybe tomorrow. Hopefully the weather will warm up. Temps are at a high today of -25C, hopefully warmer tomorrow.

I was wondering if the lines froze up for a while. The warning came on then went off and the CEL came on unlike I was on the highway.

Guess I'll see tomorrow.

Regards

VeeDubTDI

TDI
All of the AdBlue lines are electrically heated. However, you may be having freeze-up issues despite the heaters.

I'm curiously awaiting your diagnosis.

Nebelwerfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
All of the AdBlue lines are electrically heated. However, you may be having freeze-up issues despite the heaters.

Yeah, me too. LOL

I know about the lines and tank being heated but with highway speeds of 110-120km/h and an air temp of -25C to -30C during the drive might have been too much for it.

Don't know, but I'll top it up and see what happens.

Regards

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green

Are those lines insulated? Just thinking at those cold temperatures the heaters can't keep up if they expose to the cold air.

zulu125

TDI
adblue Warning light

The car was in a garage at about 10 Celcius since 3 PM yesterday and when I drive it at 4 PM today the warning was still on. I could probably reset it with my Scangauge but I want to show it to VW to get their comments. I will try to go at the dealer tomorrow and will post the results
Thank you for your comments.
Regards.

zulu125

TDI
adblue Warning light

Weel no luck the dealer is closed untill tomorrow. Since I have about 300 km to drive to go back home and the message says I have 200k remaining, do you think that adding Adblue will turn off the warning? If not, I will be stuck on the road! Scary ideas, isn't it?
Regards

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
AdBlue / DEF is pretty cheap ($10-12 for a box or between $2-3/gallon) at most stations that sell diesel. It's usually sold in a box with a bladder / plastic container inside or at the pump. Either way, it's cheap and may solve your issue. I'd be trying that immediately before my panic continues.

zulu125

TDI
adblue Warning light

Thank you for this information, I am discovering this new world and filling my database.
Regards

VeeDubTDI

TDI
You can not reset the warning with your scan gauge.

Fill the AdBlue tank and see if the warning clears.

If the warning doesn't clear and the countdown reaches zero, the engine WILL NOT START again after you turn it off. If you're in the middle of a trip, leave the engine running until you arrive safely at home.

Nebelwerfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
Well, I just added two litres of DEF and did what was in the manual, waited about a minute with the ignition on but not started.

CEL still on. I can see the DEF in the tank and can smell the urea in the exhaust gases so it's making it through.

Might have been a blockage due to the temps. Mind you today is a bit warmer at -20C.

Guess I'll be making a trip to the dealer to get it looked at. Still under warranty. I'll let you know what they find.

Regards

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Two liters brought the tank level up to full? Or is that all you had on hand? If the level is low, two liters may not be enough to reset the low level fault.

What is the code that's causing the check engine light? (Sorry if you mentioned it before and I missed it).

zulu125

TDI
AdBue Warning l

OK here is the upgrade:
Went to the dealer this morning, they checked the AdBlue system. The tank was full but they found that the pump was defective, they tried to repair it without success. When they checked to order a new pump, they found that there was a hold from VW, it seems that VW is already looking for a problem.

Here is the funny part: Since I was far from home, the dealer explained that I could drive home, but not to stopthe engine before being there because it wouldn't start again. After driving about 50 Km, the warnings disappeared from the dash and never came back. Goodbye AdBlue warnings. When I arrived home I stopped and started the engine without any problem and even took the car later without any issue.

Don't worry, I will have this pump replace by my local dealer since the out of town read the ECU and found the information reported by it and wrote me a report!

To follow...:confused:

zulu125

TDI
You can not reset the warning with your scan gauge.

Fill the AdBlue tank and see if the warning clears.

If the warning doesn't clear and the countdown reaches zero, the engine WILL NOT START again after you turn it off. If you're in the middle of a trip, leave the engine running until you arrive safely at home.
Thank you VeeDubTDI for the information. As you can read in my previous message you were 100% right about the fact of never stop the engine when the end of the AdBlue counter is reached. I forgot to mention that I also got a CEL with the AdBlue Warning!
Best regards.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
CEL was probably due to the failed pump. Glad you got to the bottom of the problem and made it home without any issues.

Nebelwerfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
Two liters brought the tank level up to full? Or is that all you had on hand? If the level is low, two liters may not be enough to reset the low level fault.

What is the code that's causing the check engine light? (Sorry if you mentioned it before and I missed it).
I have a five litre jug and only used two litres.

Didn't check the code on my ScanGuage yet. I was freezing after ten minutes and figured I'd get out of the cold seeing as I couldn't feel my fingers anymore.

Regards

mrp

TDI
2014 Passat SE
Frozen ADBlue Warning

Volkswagen HQ Called as I was in dealership shop, Friday night, and has grounded all diesel fueled Passat vehicles built in the last few years. its my understanding that They will supply rental cars until problem is fixed......maybe a software fix but would need a waiver from EPA i suppose.

Problem:
A 5 gallon internal tank of anti-pollution fluid, called AdBlue, is freezing up below 10F and mine was sitting at -15F......for me the warning came on after 60 miles at -10F... the dashboard warning message says you have 200 miles left before the AdBlue runs out ----if you shut the engine off----the anti-pollution software will not let you restart until the tank gets thawed out! You are stranded! The internal tank heater should thaw it out after another hour of driving----or get to a warm garage. Warning will go off when thawed but you will need to have check engine light cleared by dealer.

I will risk driving my new Passat SE but if AdBlue warning comes on ----next stop has to be someplace warm! High of -16 in St Paul, MN monday. good luck out there!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Thanks for posting! Good luck with the insanely cold temps tomorrow. It will be interesting to see what happens with this issue - given that it is preventing engine starts, they are probably moving as quickly as possible.

Keep warm everyone!

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
The blend of aqueous urea that is used for SCR is a concentration of 32.5% urea, 67.5% water, with a freeze point of 12 degrees F / -11 C.

I guess I can see some freezing with the extreme temperatures we are having should there be issues with the heater - whether they be failure or insufficient sizing. 10F seems to be a pretty high temperature for freeze-up with a heating system considering that's just 2 degrees below the freeze point of the DEF.

If freezing is actually occurring, I wonder if it's occurring in a portion of the tank that's not close enough to whatever heating element is in place.

Does anyone have a diagram of the AdBlue tank and heating system?

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI

Volkswagen HQ Called as I was in dealership shop, Friday night, and has grounded all diesel fueled Passat vehicles built in the last few years. its my understanding that They will supply rental cars until problem is fixed......maybe a software fix but would need a waiver from EPA i suppose.

Problem:
A 5 gallon internal tank of anti-pollution fluid, called AdBlue, is freezing up below 10F and mine was sitting at -15F......for me the warning came on after 60 miles at -10F... the dashboard warning message says you have 200 miles left before the AdBlue runs out ----if you shut the engine off----the anti-pollution software will not let you restart until the tank gets thawed out! You are stranded! The internal tank heater should thaw it out after another hour of driving----or get to a warm garage. Warning will go off when thawed but you will need to have check engine light cleared by dealer.

I will risk driving my new Passat SE but if AdBlue warning comes on ----next stop has to be someplace warm! High of -16 in St Paul, MN monday. good luck out there!
This would be a huge development - If anyone can get some additional information on this report, that would be extremely helpful for the community. (TSB, Another dealer corroborating, etc..)

Illinois dealerships are closed on Sunday, so I don't have any way to get any more info on this anytime soon.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
It would be great if some of the folks in the cold weather zone for Monday and Tuesday could get some VCDS info on the status of the AdBlue heaters as well as the tank temperature. Get some data with the vehicle at rest, during warmup, and while driving down the road.

Also helpful would be one of these...

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Unless there is a constant heat source, I don't see how every car using ad blue won't have issue this week. They're calling for single digit temps as far south as Columbia, SC for Monday night. Of course the constant heater will also be a drain on the battery. Would it be possible to surround the ad blue tank with something like an old plug-in battery blanket?