Passat 3B/3BG Automatic (remote) opening of the boot

madelgado

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 3BG 2001
Hi, I was able to adapt the additional springs from A6 (about 30€ total for both springs) to my passat 3BG. These springs open the boot completely, and not just the "pop" of 0,5 centimeters. The 3B works the same... maybe other models like jetta, a4, a6 (without this feature)

I had to build some parts from the scratch, using some pieces of iron... it is not finished yet, since I want to improve it a bit before publishing the shape and dimensions of the pieces... The hard work is to find the exact position to drill the holes, the length of the pieces, etc... since I had to rebuild some pieces several times. And still a bit more improvement is required, to be perfect.

So at the moment I will show you the final result of the initial successful test (you cannot imagine how happy I was to see THIS after 10 hours of fighting with the driller and the radial tools, etc... screwing and unscrewing... pffff...

I promise to give all the details about the 4 pieces that are needed (for each side). Having the perfect dimensions and shape, it is about 1 hour to build and install... Additionally you will have to buy the springs at Audi dealer... not expensive for what you get.

I hope that you like it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1Vw6t0FC5Y (high quality available)

I wrote a bit more info in a local forum... but you can take a look to the pictures of the parts involved, etc... http://www.solovag.es/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=534

My car is actually at the workshop, since someone came too fast towards my rear bumper... breaking it... the led tail lights saved from the accident :D so right now I cannot work on it until next week...

Last edited:

b554me

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Turbocharged purchased in Costa Rica.
Well I'm on the edge of my seat, I want this bad. Can't wait until you publish the final specs.. I'll be doing this!

How is it closing boot now? Just as tough as it was before?

OK, I'll wait..

Last edited:

madelgado

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 3BG 2001
I suggest that you wait... if you want to order the pieces,that's ok... but it was some piece of work to define where the points of force go, so that it lifts the boot... To close the boot is exactly as the new A6 with those springs... a bit harder than the stock... but nothing excesive... something that you will get used to :D

madelgado

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 3BG 2001
Ok, I will summarize the parts, pieces and new pictures for this cool mod... I know that some of you will do it ;)

A bit of history:

Pictures from A6 with this feature:

Pictures from my passat b5/5.5 hinges:

So, from the A6 I learned the parts to buy:

In text:

2 x 4F5 827 249 B
2 x 4F5 827 665 A

The exact price I don't have it, but it was like 50 euros for all (I got some discount from the dealer, so maybe the list price for all is around 60 euros)

Now you need to build these 3 pieces... the dimensions in millimeters are written in this schematic:

madelgado

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 3BG 2001
And the real pictures of the pieces are:

I really don't know how to explain this in English... sorry... but in this picture you can see the first and second pieces, joined with an axle and reusing one of the two nuts to stay fixed to the hinge... A6 has these two pieces inverted...

This is the other side of the spring... The third piece is used to hook the lower side of the spring to another piece of the hinge. It has to be displaced 2 cm. to avoid touching the gas spring (BTW, it is the original Gas Spring... they were not replaced)

madelgado

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 3BG 2001
Just a different point of view where you can see all pieces aligned... Your set-up must look like this...

These two piecture show the trunk being closed with 45 and about 60 degrees (more would not leave space to take the picture). The first one is taken when the second piece starts touching the trunk... That's the scope of the A6 springs, to apply force between 0 degrees (closed) and 45 degrees... the gas springs will push the trunk from 45 to 90 degrees (more or less).

And the remaining piece:

I hope to have feedback from you ;) specially if someone will implement the mod.

Last edited:

0xFF

TDI
AVF
Hi,
How it is possible to open (open - I mean pop-up not just unlock) the trunk via FOB?
I tried on B5 passat variant (2003), but no luck :(.
Pressing trunk button for fiew seconds - no effect.
Do I have to code CCM to enable this feature?

P.S.
Great job. Very nice and useful mod.

madelgado

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 3BG 2001
Hello, I have identified (but I am not 100% sure) a bit that controls the "pop" feature. Please connect with vds-pro to the CCM and read-out the value that you have on cell 04361 (the cell where you enable the rolling windows mod)

0xFF

TDI
AVF
madelgado said:
Hello, I have identified (but I am not 100% sure) a bit that controls the "pop" feature. Please connect with vds-pro to the CCM and read-out the value that you have on cell 04361 (the cell where you enable the rolling windows mod)
Hi,
Thanks for help.
I have 1C0 959 799 B already recoded for rolling windows mod ;).

I dont remember values, but mod was done according to information I found on this forum. So, for 99.9% it was:
Code:
Memory Address / old value / new value
04361 / 75 / 67
04362 / 75 / 67
04363 / 75 / 67

madelgado

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 3BG 2001
0xFF said:
Hi,
Thanks for help.
I have 1C0 959 799 B already recoded for rolling windows mod ;).

I dont remember values, but mod was done according to information I found on this forum. So, for 99.9% it was:
Code:
Memory Address / old value / new value
04361 / 75 / 67
04362 / 75 / 67
04363 / 75 / 67
Ok, first, read what you have on 4361. If it is not 67, then abort. If it is 67, then write 66 on the three addresses. Test the third button. If it doesn't work, restore 67 (also on the three addresses)

If the test fails, write down the values that you have on:

4350 --> write down the 10 values
4360 --> same
4370 --> same

So that I can compare all the config bytes with Euro models and sedan models.

0xFF

TDI
AVF
madelgado said:
Ok, first, read what you have on 4361. If it is not 67, then abort. If it is 67, then write 66 on the three addresses. Test the third button. If it doesn't work, restore 67 (also on the three addresses)

If the test fails, write down the values that you have on:

4350 --> write down the 10 values
4360 --> same
4370 --> same

So that I can compare all the config bytes with Euro models and sedan models.
Ok, it works ;)
Trunk pops when I open via FOB or from inside - via trunk button.

vicius_the_one

TDI
Passat 3b6
Anyone with variant, who did the activation, could post a video. I did activation with my 1C0 959 799 B and yes, my trunk auto open but won't lift cause my gas-filled struts are 6 years old. Afriend of mine replaced those two gas-filled struts with 2 new ones and when he press the button on trunk it lifts alone with no human intervention, so those gas-filled struts are so powerfull when are new that can lift trunk's door alone without any help from the person that opens it. So anybody with variant, who changed values for auto open trunk's door, has a video to show me how it acts

0xFF

TDI
AVF
Mine won't lift :( - passat 2003.
Did your friend just replaced two gas-filled struts for new ones or replaced with different type/model?

madelgado

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 3BG 2001
I don't know how it is exactly in the SW, but... do you think that this piece will fit?

I would definitely bump the very beginning of the opening...

vicius_the_one

TDI
Passat 3b6
That piece helps the trunk door to lift faster for about 2 centimeters and after that the gas-filled struts get the necessary power to lift the trunk door by their own power.
Madelgado, could you tell us where from did you get that picture ?

madelgado

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 3BG 2001
That picture is from my car... I replaced the rubber with this. The part number (from A6) is: 4F5827249B That's for sedan... I don't know if that "pop-up" feature is also in the A6 variant... there may exist the equivalent for the variant... or maybe this one fits perfectly... not sure...

vicius_the_one

TDI
Passat 3b6
That piece can be fitted to my passat variant because OEM existing part with rubber is identically with your previous rubber support part. So no matter your car is, sedan or variant, it has the same support part with rubber cap, so if you fit the part number (from A6) 4F5827249B on your sedan, I can do the same because it is the same fitting, but in other places.
So let me understand, the pop-up feature that you used, 4F5827249B, helped it to lift faster and get a faster response from the springs you mounted so thay could lift it faster, or you put that pop-up pins not to let trunk's door lock to block it when you open it via FOB key? Cause I saw that when a press the middle button on my FOB key but i don't pull imediately de trunk's door, the door lock locks a little de door and it needs a human intervention by pressing trunks button on rear side of door, above the number plate. If i press middle button on FOB key and pull trunks door imediately, it lifts without any blocking from the door's lock. The lock is free for about 2 seconds, and after these 2 second the lock engine V57, closes a little the lock.

LE : show me please, somehow in a video on youtube how those pins are acting when you press them with your fingers, like touching a buton, to let me understant their power. Thanks a lot. I could buy them if it could help my trunks door to lift faster.

Last edited:

enry68

Hello, do you think that this modification can be applied also to the Passat 3BG Variant ?

vicius_the_one

TDI
Passat 3b6
Yes. Next week i'll order those pop pins. But they are only the top of the aisberg. Only help they can provide is to pop-up the link lid at the beginning. After that the gas-filled struts should do their work, if they are in a good shape...I mean new or almost new(not more than 2 years old). I'm also thinking about Phaeton system with gas-filled strus actuated by a hydraulic unit(pump). But that pump is very expensive(OEM) so i have to improvise something(another cheap hydraulic pump), but i can't find anythind to fit in my car, i mean a small electric hydraulic pump 12-14v. In this matter we could also close the trunk lid with the power of the hydraulic pump. That(open/close by hydraulic pump) depends of circuit diagram we also could improvise to supply it +12v for increasing pressure(for lift up) or decrease pressur (for close lid) :D....Nice idea...hard mod :D

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
No, not for the US market B5.5 wagon. There is no release of any mechanical item until the electrical switch in the hatch lid is activated.

Pressing the remote or operating the switch in the driver's door only activates the hatch switch to make it electrically functional.
The switch in the hatch is then electrically powered for about 30 seconds. The switch contact must be pressed during this time to energizes the release solenoid. The electrical power to the hatch switch is cut after this time.
Stronger gas springs and repositioned lift points will do nothing if the hatch isn't released, and that can only happen by pressing the switch in the hatch. You're already at the back of the car, you've already grasped the lift handle to touch the switch, what now?
What is needed is a means of making the key fob remote or driver's door switch operate the hatch release solenoid directly. Then the springs and angles could work, but the initial release is the problem with the wagon/variant.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Lug_Nut said:
...The switch in the hatch is then electrically powered for about 30 seconds. The switch contact must be pressed during this time to energizes the release solenoid. The electrical power to the hatch switch is cut after this time...
Not on mine. Not on eyeguy's.
My hatch unlocks when the doors unlock. It stays that way. No 30 second time period and then relock. I really have no use for the middle button on the fob.

It would be a challenge for ours though to know the difference between just unlocking, and a time when I want to unlock and open. It would be a nuisance for the hatch to fly open every time I pull the key from the ignition switch.

Lug_Nut

TDI
No, mine does not.
Pressing the remote button, or the switch on the driver's door, does nothing but make the hatch switch active. There is no sound, and no hatch release when pressing the remote or the driver's door switch.
During this time that the hatch switch is active I can press the hatch switch to make the sound and release the catch solenoid. If I wait too long, the hatch switch is deactivated and I must press the remote (or driver's door switch) again.

MoGolf, I have the automatic door locking and unlocking turned off. I've tried with both lock and unlock in automatic, auto unlock only with ignition key removal only (as it seems yours is programmed) and have had no change in the hatch switch function with any of the VAG-COM coding.

I don't want the hatch to release. I just want it to unlock, (make the hatch switch permanently active), all the time the doors are unlocked.
If there is something you could point me towards to obtain this function, I'd appreciate it.

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Lugnut, my jetta wagon performs EXACTLY like you have described your passat does. I believe that there is a fair amount of overlap in passat/jetta/golf/etc ccms. I would LOVE the ability to set up my car so that it is asothers have described. So that the only reason you ever need to use the "trunk release" (either on the remote or on the drivers door) would beif the car was looked.

I'd love even MORE if I could get the trunk to actually lift when I hit the button, but I don't see that happening...

Keep me posted!
-Chris

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Lug Nut, I'm going to have to compare your car's settings to mine the next time we're at the same place at the same time.

Lug_Nut

TDI
Tell me what to scan and I'll get a log,
or at least a baseball bat to get the ECU's attention first.
I'm presuming it'd be in the comfort and convenience setting, no?

Lug_Nut

TDI
I had dinner with Radman last evening. He mentioned that his B5 wagon also allowed unlocking the rear hatch with the doors, and then left it unlocked indefinitely thus allowing opening the hatch by merely pressing the rear switch and lifting. He also mentioned that he was pleased (surprised?) that this hatch unlocked feature was maintained even after he had the "windows open by remote operation" code modification performed.
So apparently this B5 wagon rear hatch unlock feature is not part of a "package" but might be an "ala carte" selection.

rudeboymcc

TDI
Bora
wait you're saying the gas struts alone open the variants boot door with no human interaction??

is my mk4 jetta meant to do this as well? i bought mine second hand and it's very difficult to open the boot, i'm thknig if i just buy these gas struts it will open by itself!