What did you do to your car today?

KROUT

persona non grata
Walked 1/2 mile to get my jetta some more fuel. Bought overpriced 9.00 gas can filled with 2 gal of fuel walked back 1/2 mile. Damn its hot here already. Good news I walked off that fat hambuger and fries I just had at the ale house. Fill fuel filter add most of fuel to tank. Crank for a minute refill filter again,etc...........

Finally just before the battery died it fires up. I had no tools to open injector lines or refill the pump.

My gas gauge in my golf is alot more acurate. The car wasn't even on empty yet.

speakerboy

Veteran Member
TDI
none right now :'(
KROUT said:
Walked 1/2 mile to get my jetta some more fuel. Bought overpriced 9.00 gas can filled with 2 gal of fuel walked back 1/2 mile. Damn its hot here already. Good news I walked off that fat hambuger and fries I just had at the ale house. Fill fuel filter add most of fuel to tank. Crank for a minute refill filter again,etc...........

Finally just before the battery died it fires up. I had no tools to open injector lines or refill the pump.

My gas gauge in my golf is alot more acurate. The car wasn't even on empty yet.
Whoa...that's scary. My wife ran an old 300D dry a few times and it took about 1/2 hour to get it started again each time. Id there any way to calibrate this? Maybe you have build up in the tank or the sender?

KROUT

persona non grata
I just did the same thing the other day I was lucky it was in the drive way at my house and I had tools. These cars are really easy to prime with tools a real pain in the ars without.

I was lucky today I was going 90 when it died and I coasted about 1 mile or I would had to walk 3 miles round trip. I need the exercise anyway.

Drove my golf for 240,000 miles and never ran out gas. The jetta I have done it twice in 2 weeks. I think today will be the last, I wont trust that gauge again below 1/8 of a tank. I have the old gauge sender assy. out of my golf I am going to install that or a new lift pump them priming is as easy as turning on the key.

Last edited:

Justler

Veteran Member
Priming is easier with a lift pump, if the positive lead does not come off when you are driving on the highway! Ask me how I know ;).

Knock on wood i've yet to run it totally dry, but i've come close a couple times. I screwed up my lift pump float and it doesn't read very accurate.. but I know where the line is when it's almost empty =).

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Incorrectly installed fuel sending units maybe? You need to make sure the arrow points to a notch or mark toward the rear of the car for the sender unit to be accurate.

Justler

Veteran Member
Mine is bent, not incorrectly lined up =) It's not off by a whole ton though, and I know when I run out of fuel.

uberdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Night Blue Golf TDI SEL
I missed my Jetta Wagon as I pumped $ 2.99 per gallon gasoline into my 23 mpg Buick rental car.:( (Diesel is at $ 2.75 with 40+ mpg...)

The interior is still pulled out of my car, drying out and getting new floor padding; A-pillar is disassembled and waiting for a new airbag.

Hopefully she'll be ready next week.

Oh yeah, I received Dieselgeek's Deluxe BEW timing belt kit and look forward to having it installed in a couple of weeks...

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
speakerboy said:
How the heck do you do that? Add or cut away some of the mouth?
Measure the current draw of the horn while it's operating - even muffled it is loud. Adjust with a 1/2" bolt on the backside of the horn which de/increases the distance the coil must travel to touch the points...thereby increasing/decreasing the frequency of the tone of the horn. Now she's as big as a boat and sounds like one too :D

Last edited:

KROUT

persona non grata
Finished putting assy, of my new engine yesterday. PD150 block with alh head. It goes in tonight.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
KROUT, did you have any porting or headwork done on it or will you?

KROUT

persona non grata
No its a stock head. I just odered a passenger performance cam it wont be here for a week or so. I just dont want to spend 900 for porting when you get minimal gains at best. If I could get it done right but cheap I would port it in a minute. When somebody proves you get more than 10hp I might do it. You can turn up the boost 3psi and get almost the same effect.

Just bolted the engine in the car now time to hook up all the stuff.

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
in the last few weeks.....installed a full set of MK5 leathers......peeled off the Jetta badge.......waxed.......homemade TT ventliner.......

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
R19 said:
Today I ordered a hitch. I can't wait for people to scratch their heads at a little vdub towing.
Me too! Hidden hitch here I come. I'm going to need to fabricate a "sport receiver" to 1 1/4" adapter so that I can use it for bikes and such, but for $100, you can't go wrong.

unixb0y

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Comfortline 6MT Nav
Rollin on Hakunamatata

Rollin on Hakunamatata's.

Had 15"x6" Reggae's before. The Hakunamatata's are 16"x6.5". The ride seems smoother and conering seems better. Maybe it's all in my head.

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
.216's today !! Holy crap !! What a difference in power !!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Insatlled aero wipers on the Golf, A5 wiper on the rear. Put in a new shift knob.

PharoahTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I played with it in VAG-COM. It was fun running thru the various tests, esp the gauge panel. I enabled the auto door lock and the service reminder. I also enabled the auto unlock but I really did not like it unlocking everything when I took out the key so I disabled it again.

Next is the auto window mod in CCM.

jcboulware

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Wagon 6-speed
Changed my fuel filter and ripped out the left inner fender liner by hitting a pot-hole in my buddy's yard (CRAP!).

uberdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Night Blue Golf TDI SEL
KROUT said:
Fired up my new motor in the golf. Will test drive in the morning.
So, how did it run?! Were you able to drive it today? Maybe you are still out driving?! I look forward to hearing about it.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Turned off the DRLs, did a ventectomy (can you believe it had never been done to this car?), adjusted the boostvalve, replaced the courtesy light, and drove 525 miles to Mosport. Track day tomorrow!

TDIx4

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI, 1999 Jetta TDI 5 speed, 2006 2500HD Duramax Compund Turbo!!
Installed a rear spoiler on my Passat from a BMW M3.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
silverbox said:
Greengeeker please tell more about horn tuning.
more volume would be appreciated.
Sorry, was on my 55 Chevy. I would think you could just swap in a louder/larger horn provided you also brought in the appropriately sized fuses. If you chose to go this route....Buicks have seriously loud horns.