New MAP sensor brings up 18000 and 16485 codes

Aaron1.9

TDI
2005 1.9L
Redirect me to another thread if needed...
So I’m fairly new to diesels and have owned my used 2005 Jetta TDI (PD I believe) for 1.5 years. I have replaced glow plugs, turbo actuator, replaced with rebuilt turbo, MAF sensor, cooling sensors, timing belt, water pump, and more....now I replaced my MAP sensor(which wasn’t easy to access) and I’m getting codes, what seems like limp mode right from startup(unless I clear codes). I use an Xtool and it does what I need, and a lot I don’t understand. Can some one help me out here?
Also I have a video and pics, how do I share?
Codes I get are as follows:

Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70)
Implausible signal, In one-wire operating mode

Altitude Sensor/ Boost Pressure Sensor
Implausible Correlation

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Look those codes up at the Ross Tech wiki Ross-Tech
Assuming they're correct, they should be, you'll get more info.
To share data in your post-
Short version:
Select Upload button, follow prompts (check your file type)
At the end, harvest the url to use as a link for your post
Note there are 3 sizes with separate urls. For large data use the thumbnail, it shows the full size when clicked.
More complete instructions in my signature.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Where did you purchase the new MAP? Were these DTC's before or after the replacement?

Aaron1.9

TDI
2005 1.9L
New MAP is from BOSCH and only started having these codes after the install of the new MAP...couldn’t find a lot on Ross tech about it. Going to try more research...

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
New MAP is from BOSCH and only started having these codes after the install of the new MAP...couldn’t find a lot on Ross tech about it. Going to try more research...
We understand the new MAP is Bosch brand but WHERE did you purchase it from? About 6 months ago there was a counterfeit batch of 3 bar MAP sensors that made it's way thru. I will see if I can find the thread...

EDIT: found it, it was longer ago than I thought...http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=469900

Last edited:

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I purchased a new cam sensor for my BEW from a trusted vendor here last year as preventative maintenance. Well this new sensor was unmarked, had a longer cable than the factory installed sensor. The car had longer crank times and a CEL. I went to the dealer for a genuine sensor. The seller never returned my email. From now on sensors replacements will be from the dealer; especially if they are hard to change.

Aaron1.9

TDI
2005 1.9L
Well crap, looks like mine is counterfeit!! Thank you so much for all the info, I’ve been struggling to find anything else on this one! Purchased on amazon, by the way

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
You've got codes for your MAF sensor and your MAP sensor (boost pressure). I have to wonder if one is causing the other.

The MAF sensor (the air flow sensor in the ducting just after the air cleaner) says implausible signal. Maybe a wiring issue, faulty sensor, or maybe the ECU just doesn't believe what it's seeing, because the MAP sensor is reading wrong. (Like, there can't be this boost level, with that amount of air flow, something is wrong).

If both codes appeared just after replacing the MAP sensor (on top of intercooler) then it may very well be faulty/fake, or whatever. Hopefully that addresses the MAF code as well.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
What's the part number on your MAP sensor? It's possible you got the wrong one and it is not calibrated for your ECU. Some gas engine MAP sensors don't work, and depending on what tune you have, diesels can have a couple different MAP sensors too (2.5 and 3 BAR). You cannot simply interchange them and expect them to work right. You need to get what is correct for your current ECU/state of tune.

That having been said, since you do have VCDS, you can at least see the correlation between MAP and barometric pressure sensor in measuring value block 10. Field 2 is barometric pressure, field 3 is the MAP sensor. Check with the key on, engine off. If they're more than 150 mbar apart, that sensor is definitely not reporting correctly and that's why you have the code as soon as you key the engine on.

As for the MAF single wire code, that's more likely to be a wiring issue.

Aaron1.9

TDI
2005 1.9L
First of all, thank you all for your help.

My MAF Sensor was bad and I just replaced it 6mos ago or so, not Bosch though. Had no issues until the replacement of the MAP. As far as the numbers on the MAP sensor, I’m quite positive they match, I’ll check it again when I can. Either way, I think I should order a new sensor, and don’t wanna get burned again... any recommendations on places to order from(other than the dealer, which if worst comes to worst, I may have to go there)?

VCDS-I work away from home a lot, so I will have to find time to do this, and I’ve tracked things on VCDS before(boost pressures after N75, turbo and actuator replacement) and I think these are in the block referred to. I concentrated on hills and whatnot as I was having limp mode, until I changed this sensor. Now once I clear the code, limp mode no longer occurs over 3500 rpm like it used to, however, I do have what seem to be unstable/hunting pressures at certain ranges.

I’m greatful for any and all insight on this subject.