www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old February 5th, 2018, 19:07   #1
EcoDiesel

TDI(s): Eco Diesel
Default 04 TDI to 01 GLS

I have purchased a wrecked 04 TDI 4 door golf MT and a 01 2.0 AT. Looking at swapping the tdi into the gas shell. Planning to swap as much as I can from TDI. Any known issues I will run into? I plan on swapping the cluster, ignition, and ECU from the TDI. Anything else I should look at. The tdi did not come with sunroof or heated seats, but the 01 has them. Looking for some info of stuff that I am not thinking about during the swap.
EcoDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2018, 23:48   #2
vwztips
Veteran Member

Need to be clearer.
What is rhe 01 2.0 AT from?
What gas shell are you looking to swap into?
vwztips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2018, 05:43   #3
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

You'll need to swap just about everything, as there are a few more items that changed 2001-2004. Even things like the radio wiring is different, so plan on yanking the dash out.

Basically strip the 2001 down to the bare shell (you can leave the glass in, and the doors can probably be left alone). Then you can see what all is different.

It would be easier to find a 2004-2006 Golf, even if it was the gas engine, to swap stuff into.
Old February 8th, 2018, 20:28   #4
EcoDiesel

The TDI is from an 04 4-door golf 5-speed was hit hard on the passenger side. The passenger side strut tower is slightly tweeked and the the front frame horn is bent down from the wreck. Hooked the battery charger up and it has 175k. Motor looks pretty clean, doesnt appear to have any major leaks.

So I found a 01 4-door golf that the owner said had a knock in the motor. Working on pulling the wiring now to get the motor out. The interior is already stripped down to the dash.

The 04 has no sunroof and no heated seats. The swap car has a sunroof and heated seats, i would like to keep them functioning. It will be a little fun on wiring everything.

I plan on stripping everything changing everything over from the donor car.
Old February 11th, 2018, 20:29   #5
EcoDiesel

Decided to scratch the PD in the 01 because the intier was pretty well off. I did not want to tear it all apart to get the wiring to transfer over. Therefor i have picked up an 01 GTI and to swap the PD into. For the 4 door golf, have decided to purchase an 02 4door to utilize the motor and trans out of and produce a 01 4 door golf.

When i get to working on the GTI, my build will be logged and put into the forum.