ZEVO vs SYLED for 7506 bulb

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Any difference between these two Sylvania LED bulbs other than ZEVO is about twice SYLED in price?

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The ZEVO lamp actually works properly in the reflector. It's the one I would buy (and what I put in our 99.5).

-J

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sounds good. In what position(s) did you use them? I'm looking at reverse using the "zenon white" version and brakes using the red version.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OK. I have a burned out reverse light so I have to do them at least & I figured I might as well do the brake lights at the same time.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, the reverse bubs arrived today so I went out to replace the one burned out on the left side. VW has really done their utmost to make even a simple bulb replacement a dealer job! After cutting out the foam mount for the non-existent CD changer (couldn't access the top bolt w/o removing trim), I tried to remove the bulb holder; nope can't do it with the trim in place. So I have to remove all the trim pieces holding the back left (and probably the right) trim in place. I may not bother replacing the reverse bulbs until I get the other LEDs I need to replace all the incandescents.

On my previous VW all I had to do was remove 4 screws and the housing was free for me to access the bulbs AND it could be done from outside! Fortunately Mazda was smarter than VW on my Miata: open trunk, unclip bulb holder, replace bulb, and reinstall holder: a 2 minute job.

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OK, it looks like I need the following LED bulbs:

7506Red for Tail Lights, Brake Lights, and Rear Fog Light: 5 bulbs total. Compu85, where did you get your red ZEVO 7506 bulbs?

I don't plan on replacing the turn signal bulbs unless I can find 1157Amber bulbs with built in load resistors; are there such?

Also, am I correct that my 2005 Wagon dose NOT need CAN BUS bulbs?

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
7506 and 1156 are equivalent both are single filament.

I just ordered 3 packages of the 1156 bulbs, and 1 of the 1157 bulbs. Thanks for the info. Now I just have to decide about the turn signals.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Also, am I correct that my 2005 Wagon dose NOT need CAN BUS bulbs?
Supposedly, cars that require CAN BUS bulbs will show a "bulb out" indication on the instrument panel; since I did not see such an indicator for the burned out reverse bulb, I surmise CAN BUS bulbs are not required for my wagon.

cozytoronto

TDI
2005 Jetta Gls Tdi Wagon
If you don't mind me asking, how did the zevo leds turn out?
Did they require any modifications to the housing to fit?
How is the brightness vs stock?
is the 1157's tail vs brake brightness noticeable enough?
I'm considering the same for my wagon.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Haven't done my wagon yet but they are fine in my Miata. I hope to get to the wagon this week or next.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
You can use LED's in anything but the turn signals. You can get the rear tails out without removing trim, it just takes a bit of fandangling.

Also, the 7506 vs the 1156 are the same except the 7506 has a locating pin in a different spot, so if you using the 1156, you have to grind one of them off.

I have super bright LED's in my reverse and tails, front markers and turns, but not turn signals, got them from an LED place off Ebay, just outside of Blaine.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yep, I didn't get any LEDs for the turn signal positions.
I've been unable to get the bulb carrier out of the housing; I may just see about removing the housing nuts and then take the carrier out. That is what I did when I replaced the housings with Euro spec ones several years ago.