Center Console Conversion

JC_1992

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, 2001 Jetta GLS
It is a very straight forward install. I have not done it....yet at least. The only adjustment you need to make is to angle the e-brake more towards the driver's seat as the cut-out is more angled with the newer design. I have heard you can actually bend it yourself or move the bracket. Others buy a whole new bracket and lever from what I understand.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I did this with both our '01 and '02 Golfs. Paid $50 for each of the replacements from a scrap yard. IIRC, it's four T20 Torx screws, then a 13mm bolt that holds the arm-rest in place.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Then you need the in-dash cupholder delete cover, part number is 1J0-858-585-1QA (black) or 1J0-858-501-D-4J4 (brushed aluminum trim).

Not all that expensive to buy new, if you forgot to nab it from the car you swiped the console from.

I am keeping my eye out for a cheap 2003+ tan console myself... but I already deleted the in-dash cupholder. :cool:

chudzikb

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta 03 Golf 2 door
Did this to my 03 Jetta, just left the one above the radio in place? I forget that they exist anymore. And I got a leather ebrake from a 03+ MK IV and swapped that when doing the upgrade, then did not have to modify my existing ebrake handle. It all went together quickly and more importantly painlessly!

Cliffman

Veteran Member
TDI
None Yet!
Can someone list the parts that I need and where to find them? Direct links would be awsome! 02 Golf, 4 door, black cloth interior. 03 console right? I'm keeping the arm rest so not sure it that maters on which console I order. I'm fine doing the e-brake mod.

Last edited:

Cliffman

Veteran Member
TDI
None Yet!
That thread is great but it's out dated. Created in 2003. I tried some of the part numbers listed in that thead at this http://www.1stvwparts.com website with no results. Are these part numbers OEM?
1J0-863-323-R-2QL - BLACK console
1J0-862-533-F-2QL - BLACK rear cup holder
1J0-863-328-G-B41 - BLACK coin holder
1J0-858-033-2QL - BLACK Cap
1JM-711-303-4J4 - E-Brake Handle

Cliffman

Veteran Member
TDI
None Yet!
Did this to my 03 Jetta, just left the one above the radio in place? I forget that they exist anymore. And I got a leather ebrake from a 03+ MK IV and swapped that when doing the upgrade, then did not have to modify my existing ebrake handle. It all went together quickly and more importantly painlessly!
Where did you get the leather brake?

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
Bringing this one back to life. I decided I want to to this as 'mod' well. My interior is grey but all ECStuning sells is black or beige. I have been wanting to do this for some time and I have some time off next week and I want to get little things done around my house. This is included on the list. I think the black would look fine with the grey but then again it would be noticeable.

EDIT: The kit is only sold in black and beige. I could probably make my grey kit but it will be significantly more expensive.

Do you all think black would look ok with an all grey interior?

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes I have a good understanding of how to do it. I just want to know peoples opinion on putting a black center console in when I have a grey interior.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Bringing this one back to life. I decided I want to to this as 'mod' well. My interior is grey but all ECStuning sells is black or beige. I have been wanting to do this for some time and I have some time off next week and I want to get little things done around my house. This is included on the list. I think the black would look fine with the grey but then again it would be noticeable.

EDIT: The kit is only sold in black and beige. I could probably make my grey kit but it will be significantly more expensive.

Do you all think black would look ok with an all grey interior?
Yes, I think it would be a nice accent.

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
Great thanks! Now where to get them? Its a shame the one on ECS is $150 when you buy it in black. Im leaning towards grey right now.

jbleu101

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDi, GLS
Oh,...now I get it.

I was wondering the purpose of deleting it. It's useful in some situations. A cup of water, for example.

I wanted to elimate the possibility of my wife using the in-dash unit. :p