A trip to Mt. Spokane yielded some unusual results...

autoelf92

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Saturday I decided to drive my 02’ Jetta to Mt. Spokane from Cheney, WA to go cross country skiing. Conditions weren’t the greatest near the top of the mountain, but the old dub has certainly seen worse. Spent a wonderful day scooting around the mountain and it was time to go home. Down the mountain I went and before long I was on the freeway. My suspension seemed a bit rougher than normal, but I figured there was plenty of hard packed snow around my wheel wells and it would iron itself out. Go out to the car this morning for hockey practice and my passenger rear side is nearly dragging the ground. Looks like it wasn’t just some hard packed snow...my rear passenger side spring is GONE. Not bent. Not broken. Completely gone. I couldn’t believe my eyes. I have two new springs on their way via amazon prime, but I was wondering...has anyone else had this happen?!

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I almost bought a bug a while back with a similar problem. The guy was just driving it as it was, he didn’t want to pay the dealer to fix it. As I recall he had what was left of his rear spring laying in the back seat. His had broken near the middle. I’ve had a couple of inches break off at the ends but so far none near the middle.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
This is Very rare , usually there’s signs when suspension issues occur , but obviously the op ignores them. Case and point, sagging rear end is a sign.

Bajan

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
My left front spring broke at the very bottom causing a hollow type noise while making sharp turns while pulling into a parking spot. Replaced both fronts with VR6 springs,

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
What's the remaining spring look like, any signs of rust?

Were these the stock springs? If someone put other springs on then maybe they were a little shorter and with a lot of over-extension from the varied topography you were traveling over it just managed to pop out? (add some force from snow pushing on it to boot)