www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old February 11th, 2018, 10:48   #1
thor001

Default MK4 R32 AZV GTB2260 RTDI build

I drove to TX and trailered the car back. The car is a wreck. The engine and trans are mounted as well as the turbo and downpipe. The "new" engine ended up have 70k+ on it. The trans is supposed to be an OEM Euro 02M 4motion with TDI gearing. The car was stripped and all the parts crammed into the interior. The body was in perfect condition. I dont know *** happened to it that it needed all this bondo work. He dropped something on the roof and made a dent and broke the window. He left the windows open for years it seems because the entire interior is coated with thick grimed up dust.

I want to build it myself now, but Im a little worried that Ill have trouble passing the NY title inspection with a TX salvage title and Euro engine #'s once its done. Does anyone know if Ill have a problem?

I guess Ill start by finding the ECU and engine harness. I should have a modded cluster and matching keys, too.

Does anyone have any info on where to get wiring diagrams/pin outs for the AZV?

The radiator mount I have is supposed to be Euro and able to fit an S3 I/C behind the bumper. Unfortunately he sold parts of the car off and I didnt get a bumper. UHG

Man there is a lot to do! Im going to need some help from the forum with this one!

Pics:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yb1teopda...KTFinL9ia?dl=0
thor001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2018, 23:58   #2
greengeeker

Fuel Economy: 42.2/50.0/58.1

That there is a BKD. Pretty different from an ASZ.

Isn't this the R32 Steve in Fort Worth was selling a few years ago? Did you buy it?
TDIclub trusted mechanic in Minnesota - PM me
greengeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2018, 07:55   #3
thor001

I dont know what an ASZ is. My understanding is that the BKD/AZV were the same 16 valve engine but with different stock power outputs. Yes, steve
Old February 12th, 2018, 14:52   #4
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

Small world, huh?
2001 Jetta GL TDI, Tinted, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, TDTuning, HIFLO .216's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Frostheater, Baldwin Fuel Filter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 08:28   #5
greengeeker

Fuel Economy: 42.2/50.0/58.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor001 View Post
I dont know what an ASZ is. My understanding is that the BKD/AZV were the same 16 valve engine but with different stock power outputs. Yes, steve
ASZ is an 8V head...very similar to the BEW we get stateside. It is also a 1.9L whereas yours is a 2L.

To answer your question...you'll need to obtain the wiring diagram. From there I can share the BJS (3.2 VR6) pinout and you'll have to match up to what you find for the BKD. Hopefully it is similar to the 8V PD which I'll share matched up to the BJS - there were very minimal modifications to wire the 8v EDC16 PD engine into the R32 for ELEMENTs car. Again, hopefully the BKD is just as easy...I have no experience with that engine so maybe others will comment.
TDIclub trusted mechanic in Minnesota - PM me
greengeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 17:28   #6
thor001

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengeeker View Post
ASZ is an 8V head...very similar to the BEW we get stateside. It is also a 1.9L whereas yours is a 2L.

To answer your question...you'll need to obtain the wiring diagram. From there I can share the BJS (3.2 VR6) pinout and you'll have to match up to what you find for the BKD. Hopefully it is similar to the 8V PD which I'll share matched up to the BJS - there were very minimal modifications to wire the 8v EDC16 PD engine into the R32 for ELEMENTs car. Again, hopefully the BKD is just as easy...I have no experience with that engine so maybe others will comment.

Well, I found the ECU, cluster, and keys. The turbo to exhaust manifold is missing a bolt. The engine is a little askew. Should I pull the motor and do anything like a pd170 crank or arp head studs? Now is the time...
Old February 21st, 2018, 22:03   #7
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor001 View Post
Well, I found the ECU, cluster, and keys. The turbo to exhaust manifold is missing a bolt. The engine is a little askew. Should I pull the motor and do anything like a pd170 crank or arp head studs? Now is the time...
It's great to see you're making some progress on the car. It sucks that Steve tore the car apart with no real rhyme or reason...like why were the seats removed along with certain panels and then to dent the car, which caused the glass to break is careless on his part.
If only you had been able to pull the car from his clutches sooner, it wouldn't be in as rough shape as it is at the moment. Sadly all 3 of us had to learn the hard way that Steve never intended to follow through on these builds.

Anywho...I'm looking forward to seeing what you have planned for the car and with the right supporting mods you will have one fast car on your hands, heck, it might even be faster than mine by the time you're all said and done.

For the engine build... use this thread as your guide. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=403431
I believe that ryanp has a fast BKD based car on here too.

Good luck with your build and when you get it finished you can bring it to Road America for a track day and see how it compares to my car.
Firefox fix
RTDI Build Thread
3L3M3NT is offline   Reply With Quote