Injection pump

loganbmx4gt

Veteran Member
TDI
97' Passat (1Z), 02' Golf
I'm at my wits end. The problem is a long crank time to start, at least 5 to 8 sec. It happens if the engine is hot or cold, including directly after use at operating temp. Clearly not a glow plug issue because even if the engine is off for only a few minutes, the long crank time still occurs. After engine is started, everything is in order, no unusual smoke, runs normal. Engine is basically stock less EGR delete and a K&N air filter. Some times a mix of about B20. I've checked all the basics. A long list of things I've checked: Timing is slightly advanced. The IQ is about 4. I've eliminated the cars fuel system by putting container of fuel in eng. compt. and running pick-up and return lines to it. I use clear fuel lines to and from the fuel filter to the IP with no sign of any bubbles. Also I checked the little pressure regulator on the IP. Any ideas what to try next would be greatly appreciated.
Get rid of that K&N air filter if you don't want to replave MAF sensors for the life of the car.

Tuners have a Hot Start tune that fixes the flaw in the ECU that the 98'-99' ALH TDI's had.

TDIangel

TDI
1996 Passat TDI Wagon , 2005 Passat TDI Wagon
My 96 tdi passat, has a diesel leak at the injector pump. Mechanic found one bolt completely backed out and leaking diesel; the bolt hole was almost completely stripped, replacing it with a slightly longer one to grab some threads, it tightened but not 100 percent. It throws a cold start code. Maybe just tightening it will stop the code but it is not compete fix if I still get a drop or two. It can still suck air, right? They found a small crack in the outside of the housing where the bolt goes don't know if that is where the leaking is or just that the bolt is not completely tight. Any suggestions? Mech. suggests a new injection pump, anyone agree and if so where can I get one, is this pump used for any other tdi or just the passat for 96. thanks guys

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
That bolt does not take much torque. I broke a bolt on one trying to get it to 22lbs - I don't recall the proper torque but it should be about half of that. The pump was fine afterwards, so I suspect if someone wrecked the pump, it was with an aftermarket bolt, and a bit too much force.

Someone was playing with the IP. How long have you had this vehicle?

A new pump - about $800 or so - should fix this problem. Same pump on the 96-97 Passat TDI's and 97-early99 Jetta TDI's in USA.

rrraabit

TDI
'97 Jetta; '99 Golf; '12 Jetta
My 96 tdi passat, has a diesel leak at the injector pump. Mechanic found one bolt completely backed out and leaking diesel; the bolt hole was almost completely stripped, replacing it with a slightly longer one to grab some threads, it tightened but not 100 percent. It throws a cold start code. Maybe just tightening it will stop the code but it is not compete fix if I still get a drop or two. It can still suck air, right? They found a small crack in the outside of the housing where the bolt goes don't know if that is where the leaking is or just that the bolt is not completely tight. Any suggestions? Mech. suggests a new injection pump, anyone agree and if so where can I get one, is this pump used for any other tdi or just the passat for 96. thanks guys
Don't know if that's accurate advice, but you can get a injection pump at 50% off from Parts Place Inc. for Volkswagens.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Maybe, but DFIS is cheaper for a rebuild. If I ever needed one I'd just buy a used working one for a lot less (going price seems to be about $300-$350), but I have a few spares on the shelf anyway.

rrraabit

TDI
'97 Jetta; '99 Golf; '12 Jetta
I tried experimenting by disconnecting the CTS sensor. No help with a cold engine, definitely a help with an engine that's up to operating temperature. With the CTS sensor disconnected it starts immediately. Replaced sensor, same effect as before. Only when sensor is disconnected is there any different results. even tried disconnecting all glow plugs, no help. How does the CTS sensor effect the IP?

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
The CTS sensor, when disconnected in a warn environment, leave the glow plugs on more than they would be when not disconnected. It makes it easier to get the engine to start when you don't have optimum timing, or other issues.

Have you checked the timing? How old is the starter motor? Lots of things cause issues with starting.

J.D.

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon (manual) 2003 Jetta Wagon (auto)
It may very well be the plunger head o-ring. Not hard to do BUT you have to be VERY careful when removing the plunger head, if any of the rollers fall out and you mismatch them...overhaul or worse time for a new pump.

DB
This is where my tech is at, pluger head pulled out and rollers have fallen out. Am I S.O.L. or is there anyway of reinstalled all parts correctly once they have fallen out? Any thoughts or ideas would be helpful.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
This is where my tech is at, pluger head pulled out and rollers have fallen out. Am I S.O.L. or is there anyway of reinstalled all parts correctly once they have fallen out? Any thoughts or ideas would be helpful.
Remove the pump and reassemble it with the drive hub straight down. Note that removing the pump will require proper timing of the engine/cam/injection pump and proper tools should be used for best accuracy.

Porshane

TDI
91 jetta
Help!!

I don't understand all this forum stuff
i just wantt to rebuild my pump
on 91 jetta
Can anyone answer questions or direct me to a diy video
Thanks

Pordogcrying

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
You car isn't a TDI... you might get better answers at a forum dedicated to that age of VW diesel:

www.vwdiesel.net

If it's a video you're after there usually folks on eBay with them for sale.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
I don't understand all this forum stuff
i just wantt to rebuild my pump
on 91 jetta
Can anyone answer questions or direct me to a diy video
Thanks
Pordogcrying
DFIS in Portland.

There are multiple shim points in your pump, if you attempt to work on it and fail to properly adjust all those points you have a VERY high probability of severe or total pump damage making it impossible to repair.

Personally, I won't work on any pump in respect to overhauls, you gotta have the tools to do it right.

TDI
2001 Jetta
Injection pump question

I have 01 Jetta, with 160k miles. My wife just drove it from Georgia to Minnesota. When she got there, it quit running. She had it towed and now the mechanic up there says it needs a new injector pump for a pretty substantial sum. We've only had the car 5 months but love it. My hands are kind of tied because she's 1000 miles away and needs to get home. I talked to the mechanic today and he said a sensor on it was producing no voltage ,and that the sensor is internal to the pump and cannot be replaced. Is this right? Am I going to have to pay 2/3 of the purchase price together my wife home. Looking for advice, options, questions to ask. Thanks.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I have 01 Jetta, with 160k miles. My wife just drove it from Georgia to Minnesota. When she got there, it quit running. She had it towed and now the mechanic up there says it needs a new injector pump for a pretty substantial sum. We've only had the car 5 months but love it. My hands are kind of tied because she's 1000 miles away and needs to get home. I talked to the mechanic today and he said a sensor on it was producing no voltage ,and that the sensor is internal to the pump and cannot be replaced. Is this right? Am I going to have to pay 2/3 of the purchase price together my wife home. Looking for advice, options, questions to ask. Thanks.
Where in Minnesota? There may be options that your present mechanic doesn't know about. Or options instead of paying full price for a replacement IP.

Also, there are different IP's for manual and automatic TDIs.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I think you are correct to question this diagnosis.
When was it last refuelled?
If she ran on Georgia fuel all the way up there, and it got cold, then the fuel could have gelled on the car.
When travelling to cold weather areas you need to refill the tank before shutting it down.

This is just one option.

Post this issue in a new thread in the area forum http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34

Maybe you can get some local help?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Excellent point, Dan. The weather here was very warm this week, then turned frigid on Saturday. So, RebuildingHope, when did this problem occur? During the warm period or after the temperature dropped into the single digits?

TDI
2001 Jetta
She last refueled in Illinois, which I thought would be a cold enough place that they would have cold weather fuel. She did say it pumped real slow at that fill up and then ran rough for a little bit. She topped it off in Wisconsin hoping that would make it better. She is in anoka, mn, not too far from Minneapolis. Thanks for your input.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Was it running on Friday and then not on Saturday? Or did it fail to start on Friday or before?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It started acting up last Monday and quit on Tuesday (Jan. 8)
Your wife could have gotten a bad tank of fuel from the fill-up in Illinois, but there were enough warm days this past week to discount the likelihood that this was a case of gelled fuel.

Does the shop where your Jetta was taken specialize in Volkswagens? In other words, do they know what they're doing, or are they just guessing that the problem is the injection pump?

TDI
2001 Jetta
The mechanic didn't say which sensor, just that it should read between 4.15V and 4.27V (I think) and it was reading 0V. How many electrical sensor outputs are there on the IP?