Valve cover gasket

TDILOVE

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000, Red
i tried searching for it but could not find the post.
i thought i read somewhere that the valve cover gasket it part of the valve cover. if i need to replace it i need to get a whole new valve cover is this true.
i have a 2000 Jetta.

Thanks

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
THis is true you need the whole cover. We have them on sale right now for 79$ each at IMPEX.

theFATman

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2000, white
any tips for removing and installing the valve cover other than things said in the timing belt howto?

is there any pattern you guys recommend for tightening the bolts?

also, i don't have a 1/4 inch drive 5mm socket, i have a 3/8 drive.. i could use a 1/4 inch drive and an adapter.. i ground the allen head down half a cm or so earlier, hopefully thats enough. i haven't tried out the fit on those back bolts yet, was going to go down there today and see how things fit.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
You need SMALL. Might have to do it with an "L" allen wrench. Otherwise the EGR has to be removed.

sootwagen

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Metalnerd has the stubby 5mm driver:

"[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Part MN0005 - A4/NB Stubby 5 mm Driver"

http://shop.metalnerd.com/index.cgi?code=3&cat=2

I've used it; with a 1/4" drive universal and an extension, it fits perfectly.[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

theFATman

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2000, white
replaced the valve cover and its still seeping on top of the vacuum pump. its not coming from the valve cover, kind of waste of money on the new valve cover, but i had to make sure.

its leaking from the poorly drawn circles in the pictures. (sorry i left my camera at home, so i clipped some pics from the timing belt pdf.)

will try replacing the vac pump seal tomorrow, then if that doesn't work i will try some of that sealant stuff.. (will have to look around again on the forum to find the right stuff) and if that doesn't work i guess it will be time for a new vacuum pump

i guess i will sell the old valve cover or something, seeing as it wasn't the problem and i don't feel like taking the new one off to put the old one back on.

Last edited:

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
The factory uses a blue non curing sealant to prevent leaking around the bearing cap area.

I have a tube laying around of the stuff but I am not home and can't remember who makes it...DuPont maybe?

DB

jasonTDI

TDI
3m. sells a similar product. Or RTV black, a THIN coating works. Resembles the stuff that's there from the factory.

theFATman

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2000, white
ok, cool. thanks guys. i'll ask the dealer if they have any of the blue stuff and if not i'll get some black. i'm not sure why its leaking really, its torqued properly and i put a piece of straight metal across several different spots on the pump and there was no visible warping... i think i will link this to the thread that mentions vac pump warping/leakage later today.

i let it go for a while, but on my recent trip out west i noticed how much it was really leaking.. i've used almost 3/4 gallon of oil in the past 7 tanks of gas.. i guess that'd be close to 4100 miles.. so i'm leaking a quart every 1300 miles or so. it only leaks when its running of course, as soon as i turn off the engine the little pools of oil on the front and back of the pump go away within 10 minutes... i'm assuming the oil is seeping back in where it came from.

jasonTDI

TDI
Dude....you NEED to fix that. It could run into the timing mark inspection hole and pollute the clutch. I just replaced one due to a vicious leak.

theFATman

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2000, white
just bought the seal from dealership. i was afraid of something like that, yeah... there is oil all over the top of my tranny, but nothing wrong with the clutch so far. hopefully i don't have to replace it anytime soon b/c i'm broke atm due to school... want to train an apprentice or something?

jasonTDI

TDI
Bring it up sometime and we can work on it.

theFATman

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2000, white
still leaking after new seal. bought the ultra black rtv just now.

there is a small possibility that oil could also be seeping through this valve cover as well.. along that seam where the black circles are in the picture above.. where that part meets the head...i think its called the cam bearing holder but i'm not up on all the terms. i will put a little rtv there as well.

From what i understand the rubber vac seal and valve cover gasket will not be hurt at all by RTV silicone? ... let me know if i'm wrong.

i will update in a few days, and thanks for all the help and advice.

Last edited:

jasonTDI

TDI
No it won't hurt them. Remember only 7lbs on the valve cover bolts. That is barely hand tight.