Intercooler Icing / Water buildup

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI 2006 Dodge Ram
I took my Jetta in to my dealer for it's 30K service. I asked them to perform the Intercooler icing TSB because I have had some long cranks and one time a long crank with rough idle for a few seconds. I have a good relationship with the service department and they did their part with the tech line and got my parts on order. I have been checking back with them weekly and no sign of the parts yet.

Today I stopped for fuel like I do every week. And like I do every time I fuel, I checked my oil and do a quick visual inspection of my engine compartment. Well I noticed something was missing today. Upon further investigation I figured out it was the outer most part of the air filter housing the scoop that draws cool air from the grill to the air filter. I hadn't noticed this until today!!

Once I was back on the road I called my SA at the dealer and asked her to talk with the tech that serviced my car last and ask him if he has any extra parts laying on his tool box. She asked a few questions and then told me she would call me back after she spoke to the tech. She returned my call about an hour later and sure enough the tech has my air scoop in his possession. Here is where it gets interesting.... The tech was instructed by the VW tech line to remove and hold onto that part until the parts for the Intercooler TSB arrive and are installed!

I asked my SA to print me a copy of those instructions for my records. ;)

Here are a couple pics of where the missing part should be...

Now you would think that with my intake drawing warm air from the engine compartment that mileage would suffer. Just the opposite has occurred. My last two tanks have been the BEST mileage I have ever achieved!

Cogen Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG.
Thats what my dealership removed from my wife's and my 2011 Golfs. I call it a snorkle. He also duct taped the inlet grill that goes to what looks like an air dampener chamber. Not sure if thats the correct name. The top end of the snorkle fits in the outlet of this dampening chamber and the bottom end fits into the inlet to the underside of the air filter box. This is what VWofCanada told the dealerships to do to hopefully stop any IC icing and no start situations. I re-instaaled the snorkle and removed the duct tape this morning on both our Golfs. The tech kept both our snorkle's. I got them back. :D

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
Thats what my dealership removed from my wife's and my 2011 Golfs. I call it a snorkle. He also duct taped the inlet grill that goes to what looks like an air dampener chamber. Not sure if thats the correct name. The top end of the snorkle fits in the outlet of this dampening chamber and the bottom end fits into the inlet to the underside of the air filter box. This is what VWofCanada told the dealerships to do to hopefully stop any IC icing and no start situations. I re-instaaled the snorkle and removed the duct tape this morning on both our Golfs. The tech kept both our snorkle's. I got them back. :D
Haha, maybe I should remove mine every time I visit the dealership :)

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4-Door Golf TDI 6MT w/NAV & Sunroof
I thought that people's consensus on VWs "Cold Weather Intercooler" fix is that it was pretty much ineffective?

Cogen Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG.
I thought that people's consensus on VWs "Cold Weather Intercooler" fix is that it was pretty much ineffective?

It probably is Willy. I have no way of knowing if removing the snorkle that I just re-installed stopped us from having the IC ice up and causing a no start condition. My buddy who also had the dealership remove his snorkle asked me an hour ago if I would put his snorkle back on. He is not mechanical at all. But I forgive him for that. He's smart enough to admit it.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,

After driving my first two winters and having rough starts 4-5 times due to this issue. This is my first winter without any issues starting and I feel it's because of the kit.

Last winter I could almost set my watch to times I'd have this issue due to weather and the operating parameters, this winter when I thought I'd have an issue, there was none.

Granted there have been members here that still have issues with the kit, luckily I don't fall in that crowd.