NachtRitter

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI 5MT
Last edited:

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Vento 1.9 TDi (retired), A4 1.9 TDi (rear end collision), VW Passat 1.9 TDi (retired), Audi A2 1.4 TDi
Or from bad aerodynamics at the back, it doesn't look right.

TDI_Dan

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW 6M MKVII, 2011 Golf TDI 6M (bought back)
Also cool was the post below that. A corvette with a diesel v8 getting 40mpg. It would be really awkward pulling up next to it and hearing a diesel instead of the normal sound you'd expect.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
I was under the impression that a rear slope of around 7-10 degrees was optimal. Granted, that could be done without too much work, most likely...

Would be interesting to see if the owner is on the club and could share details. Based on the soot, I'm guessing 1Z/AHU or ALH.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I think someone needs to track this guy down and figure out what's up! Calling all New Yorkers! :cool:

NachtRitter

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI 5MT
I was under the impression that a rear slope of around 7-10 degrees was optimal. Granted, that could be done without too much work, most likely...
Yep, I was off... For the rear slope up from the under-body, a much shallower slope would be better... more like around 3° ...

From Kohri I., Numata N., Effects of rear end configuration of vehicles on aerodynamic drag, JSAE Review, December 1985.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Oh, I was off, too.

Interesting how things change as the body shape changes. It also illustrates quite nicely why a sedan will get better mileage than a hatch (at least a Golf) or wagon (well, at least half of the problem).

Last edited:

NachtRitter

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI 5MT
That is quite a nice build, 87homebuilttdi! Do you have any more details about the build itself? Finally discovered your pics in the gallery :)

87homebuilttdi

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 tdi, 2006 Jetta DSG, 2003 ALH Wagon
Wheel toe check today...MPG increase

Checked the toe on front and back today because I had a nagging feeling that it "settled" into a slightly different position than I had set it (zero) and I was right. Fixed that and did three mileage runs at 60 mph, the new MPG is 84-85.
The toe moved due to the clearance in many bolt holes and the fasteners slowly moving to their hole edges because of vehicle forces. Now it's "pre-loaded and should stay correct. The toe-in was approximately 0.100" per wheel, 0.200" total. The test was at 60 mph on cruise control. Mileage is getting better but still looking for more...

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Would love to see this thing at TDIFest this year. :)