www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old December 20th, 2017, 19:18   #3871
Smashed Ixnay
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
If you enjoyed the Jetta, you'll love the Passat, not much to ask for on the SEL other than wish they had heated steering wheel.

I would recommend a rear swaybar on the Passat to help it in the corners, we went H&R 24mm and very happy with the investment. FYI any Mk5 rear bar will work on the NMS.
I would really love heated car mirrors. I hate how long it takes to be able to see through them in the morning.

I have never considered a swaybar. I mainly drive on the highway, so I'm usually just going in a straight line, lol. Not sure what I could really do to the car. The only thing I'm for sure doing is tinting the windows next week, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubFamily View Post
He's in Florida; guessing a heated steering wheel isn't high on his needs list

I do roofing for a living and use my heated seats every time I get in that car. I will say I am disappointed in the seat heaters in this car. My 2010 Jetta TDI used to get really hot where I'd have to turn it down, but the 2015 just gets luke warm, IMO.

I guess another thing I'm disappointed in is that the rear console doesn't have a power outlet or USB ports.
Smashed Ixnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2017, 21:30   #3872
inthered
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2013 Passat
Fuel Economy: 47 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-town Ranger View Post
We have our buyback approved, with the actual turn-in next April. Looks like the new car will be a 2018 Mazda CX-5, diesel if it's available, and rumour has it that the diesel is still a go.

How much does the CX-5 run? Can you get it in a manual?
Old December 21st, 2017, 02:59   #3873
Q5TDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Q5

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthered View Post
How much does the CX-5 run? Can you get it in a manual?
I think the manual remains to be seen.
I think, based on what I have seen, a top of the line Grand Touring diesel CX-5 will come in at about $34-35K.
Since it has not been released yet, it is not clear if the lower end models that go for about $25K will have a diesel option.
Have been reading several reviews of the diesel CX-5 in Australia, Great Britain and other places, and it is getting rave reviews. In the review linked below, they said they were getting 41 mpg.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mazda/c...iew-mazda-cx-5
Q5TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 08:14   #3874
Armourbl

I'm shopping around, trying to find what peaks my interest. So far, not much really excites me except for maybe a GTI. There is a dealer in my area that has about 6 or so used ones for sale, very low miles, all 2016 models. The problem is they all have branded titles. They all appear to be lemons that were bought back in California for various reasons. Some reasons are as petty as check engine light and needed a new O2 sensor, others are more severe such as leaking sunroof or even engine work.

This makes me wonder if this particular generation is more prone to issues or if California just has a very easy lemon law to enforce.

No way I'd buy one of these cars because of the title status and the stupid price that doesn't even come close to matching that condition. But, I do wonder if maybe I should steer clear of the GTI's as a choice.
What do you say?

ben
Old January 3rd, 2018, 09:54   #3875
DubFamily
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: It's still a diesel!

GTIs are amazing cars overall; but I'd go to a 2017 if you can. The new model is so much nicer than the previous generation.

That sounds like a dealer trying to capitalize on cheap wholesale cars; don't think those represent the entire line.
Dub said it better.
2014 BMW 328d xDrive
Member SSBMWO
DubFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 13:09   #3876
Max Period
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerschm View Post
Ended up getting a 2017 Golf Wagon with 4Motion.

Looked at the Equinox, but my wife did not like the passenger seat setup with the center console. left her too crowded.

also the Alltrack, but learned that the tires are a size of limited sources.

will be good to have the 4mo with our ski trips, and the snows and tire chains I have will fit.
We got one of these (DSG, MY2018) too as a replacement to our 2011 Jetta TDI (DSG) buyback.

The GSW has better insurance rate group than our previous TDI so our insurance premiums went down a bit after the replacement.

2017 MY Ontario insurance rate groups from Facility Assocation (we are NOT insured through FA of course): (The bigger the number, the higher premiums for that category)

2011 JETTA 2.0 TDI 4DR
AB 35
Coll 34
Comp 28
DPCD 37

2017 GOLF 1.8T 4MOTION WAGON
AB 27
Coll 32
Comp 27
DPCD 33

Our other candidnate was the MQB Tiguan (2018), but it was eliminated for being too expensive.

Fuel consumption for our GSW 4motion is in my signature which I just updated.

2015 Giant Escape 2

Last edited by Max Period; January 3rd, 2018 at 13:19.
Max Period is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2018, 11:13   #3877
kapps

My thought process:
1. Go back to MINI... crap, I didn't realize how BMW-ified they've actually become since my 2002 MCS. With a BMW price to boot. Scratch 1.
2. MX-5... Hey I sorta kinda fit (6'4") and I'd need to find a beater truck for my hobbies. Man this thing is fun to drive but after a 2nd drive, I realized it just needs an extra 1/2" of headroom and 1/2" of legroom. Scratch 2.
3. Wouldn't it be sweet to buy an Elise. I know that I actually fit in them. But then I'd need a reliable truck as well.

Well, I ended up buying a 2017 base F-150 with all the year end deals going on for $8k off MSRP. Couldn't even find a used one for the price. I'll start looking for the Elise later in the year.

Buyback scheduled for first week of February.
kapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2018, 20:56   #3878
inthered
Veteran Member

As the Original Poster of this thread I am posting this post in both of my threads about "what car are you looking at" since I have finally decided and made my purchase earlier this week...

I purchased a 2018 White Honda Accord Sport 2.0T with a manual transmission. The car is rated at 22 city / 32 highway but I see some people get in the mid/upper 30s with a good amount of highway driving which is my target. I'll miss my 13-14 years of diesel driving and high miles per gallon but it's time to move on.

The MSRP with destination charge is $31,200. I was able to pay $31,000 out the door with tax, title, license, and dealer add-ons. After my buyback from VW I'll be paying 18-19k out of pocket for what has won a ton of "car of the year" or similar awards. I'm very happy with my purchase and deal I was able to make.
Old February 4th, 2018, 22:16   #3879
TwosDay
Default Chevy Equinox TurboDiesel for me.

After receiving the letter from Volkswagen informing me that there was no fix available for my 6-speed manual 2012 Passat I signed up for the buyback and started shopping.

The oldest son was searching for a car for his significant other at the same time. I decided to go along on this quest and we ended up at a Chevy dealer in Scottsburg, Indiana. The salesman was named Erick and he put together a great deal on a Chevy Cruze with a bunch of discounts and rebates for the kids.

I was quite impressed with Erick. I told him it was too bad that Chevy didn't have something to replace my Diesel Passat. He suggested that I look into the Chevy Equinox TD (Turbo Diesel). After a test drive, I was sold!

I am now the proud owner of a 2018 Equinox TD. Diesel fuel economy included.
TwosDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2018, 03:05   #3880
ksing44
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthered View Post
I purchased a 2018 White Honda Accord Sport 2.0T with a manual transmission.
Years ago I tried a Honda Accord manual. I hated it because it had such a close ratio gear box. It seemed way too close to me and I was just too busy shifting to be able to enjoy driving the car. There was no comparison to the way it was to drive manual cars I had in the past or my Golf TDI. I test drove a GTI and it seemed just a bit closer than the Golf TDI, but nothing like the Honda and it was still enjoyable to drive.

Is the Accord manual still a very close ratio?
2010 Golf TDI - Blue (BGM), 4-Dr, 6-M, Sunroof, Xenon, Dynaudio, Nav (RNS-510), Euro light switch, 9W7 BT, R Tinted LED Tail Lights, Monte Carlo 17" x 7.5" ET47 Wheels, 235/45/17 Tires, P3Cars Digital Interface, Sonniboy sunshades, CP3 HPFP!

Flickr slideshow
ksing44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2018, 11:30   #3881
S2000_guy
Veteran Member

Congratulations on your Accord purchase, inthered.
S2000_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2018, 12:43   #3882
Armourbl

Well, I ended up getting a 2015 Audi A6 3.0T Quattro Premium Plus. Black on black. Practically mint other than having more miles than I'd prefer. Condition was too good otherwise to pass. So far loving it for the little bit I've been able to drive it. It will be driven by my wife mostly.

Hoping it turns out to be a good ownership experience in the long run. If not, oh well. Chalk it up to another learning experience.

ben
Old February 5th, 2018, 19:07   #3883
inthered
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2000_guy View Post
Congratulations on your Accord purchase, inthered.

Thanks, S2000.

Amazing... I started this thread on 7/1/16 and it became like a viral thread. I also have 138,000 miles on the odometer now as opposed to 88,000.

I’m looking forward to turning the page and trying something new. I’ll miss the diesel community, the high miles per gallon, and pumping my own fuel here in jersey.
Old April 2nd, 2018, 10:15   #3884
STRANGETDI
Veteran Member

Just picked up a 2013 Audi A3 2.0T gas (the last year they made the hatchback until the e-Tron came out) Premium Plus Quattro with 39,000 miles on it. Love it so far.
OLD: 1999.5 Golf GL TDI,Up'd,.216s,17 OZ Rims,Eibach Pro-Kit&Dampers,TT SS 2.5" Exst. 222,000 - Sold to Rossman83
STRANGETDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2018, 11:14   #3885
Tony45
Veteran Member

Just turned in the Golf this morning. A couple of weeks back got a 2014 BMW X1 sDrive with 10k mile on the clock. My driving needs now are less than before (retired), so mileage is not high priority anymore.
Tony45 is offline   Reply With Quote