Entire TDI family named "Worst Foreign Car Engine Of All Time"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I like to visit that area but I could never live there, I prefer peanuts roasted to boiled

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Yes, they’re everywhere. There is a small place on 19 just south of 52 by Holiday that serves up a great meal. Lots of small smokehouses

Dannyboy

Veteran Member
TDI
I just noticed - why isn't the Hyundai/Kia Theta engine listed here? Maybe they think that having engines that seize or catch fire is a good asset...
Excat reason why my misses sold the kia and got a mk7 golf. Every single cold start could smell strong odor of fuel. Never found the cause after lots of searches. Thought it was exhaust fumes initially but caught it one day coming from engine bay.
I'd rather a leaky coolant pump on a mk7 than a engine fire on a kia, considering shes still uneasy about engine fires after her 2010 honda civic burst into flames while driving.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
I agree with the fact that diesel engines are more harmful to the environment if compared to petrol engines...
I don't agree with that statement. Take a car that offers both engines, such as the Golf. While each gallon of D2 might emit more CO2 and other emissions compared to the gas engine, it uses far less fuel per mile, so the emissions per mile ends up lower for a diesel. Add in the particulate filter, which gas cars don't have, and you can easily end up with a far cleaner exhaust with a diesel.

My Passat has a perfectly clean tailpipe when I sold it back at 24,000 miles. My daughter's GTI exhaust tailpipe is black with soot, and if I clean it it's black again within days.

Fahrfergnugen2u

TDI
2.0 TDI-CR CEBA
Lol. Doubtful that article will get much love here. Hardly a basis for “the worst engine of all time.”.

PH said it very well above2...
The author is severely misinformed.
Our society is severely misinformed and deceived by false media reporting. Worst shall become first in a few years. Just watch and see. Energy conservation will drive transportation decisions eventually. EV fad will soon be over.

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel
I don't agree with that statement. Take a car that offers both engines, such as the Golf. While each gallon of D2 might emit more CO2 and other emissions compared to the gas engine, it uses far less fuel per mile, so the emissions per mile ends up lower for a diesel. Add in the particulate filter, which gas cars don't have, and you can easily end up with a far cleaner exhaust with a diesel.

My Passat has a perfectly clean tailpipe when I sold it back at 24,000 miles. My daughter's GTI exhaust tailpipe is black with soot, and if I clean it it's black again within days.
I agree with you, atc.

I compared all of the current (2021) models in which diesel is an option in the U.S. (now confined to pickup trucks and large SUVs) with the corresponding gasoline versions (average of the gasoline models where more than one gasoline option is available) from EPA's "fueleconomy" website:

Gasoline - 614 g/mi (including "upstream", i.e., WTW)
Diesel - 525 g/mi (WTW)

614/525 = 1.17 (gasoline versions average 17.0% higher GHG emissions)
525/614 = 0.855% (diesel versions average 14.5% lower GHG emissions)

This is roughly comparable to the European measurements (although those apparently do not include upstream GHG emissions):

@2018 per EEA - "Monitoring CO2 emissions from passenger cars and vans in 2018" - https://www.eea.europa.eu//publications/co2-emissions-from-cars-and-vans-2018 (Page 20, Table 2.3)

Diesel - 102.6 g/km (small car) + 113.9 g/km (medium car) + 129.1 g/km (SUV) + 143.7 g/km (large car) = 489.3/4 = 122.3 g/km
Petrol - 113.3 g/km (small car) + 126.2 g/km (medium car) + 133.1 g/km (SUV) + 203.9 g/km (large car) = 576.5/4 = 144.1 g/km

144.1/122.3 = 17.8%
122.3/144.1 = -15.1%

And also real-world (PEMS) measurements:

Emissions Analytics - -18% - https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/en...els-found-to-be-71-cleaner-than-petrol-models

Regarding PM emissions, EPA independently emissions tests some models randomly each year to ensure manufacturers are submitting valid measurements of criteria pollutants. According to its 2021 measurements of PM mass, diesels tested averaged 0.00015 g/mile (average of 8 tests @FTP), while gasoline averaged 0.00098 g/mile (average of 10 tests @FTP). Both are extremely low, but diesels are several factors lower than diesel in those results. When comparing the few models in which both gasoline and diesel versions of the same vehicle were PM tested (Ram 1500, Range Rover Sport, Jeep Wrangler), the gasoline versions averaged 0.00142 g/mile while the diesel versions averaged 0.00012 g/mile.

All other criteria pollutants have been shown to be very low in diesel, now even NOx. The Advanced Collaborative Emissions Study, Phase II (ACES 2) revealed that in large OTR diesels, over 300 non-regulated toxic air pollutant emissions are either not present or in levels that are trivial.

Diesels will likely never recover from the "dirty diesel" stigma, but actually they now have near-zero emission levels of harmful air pollutants.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
When people complain about 'diesel emissions' they're really only parroting what they've heard other (trolls?) say or lies put forward by MSM propaganda.

The only reason that anyone every called a TDI the worst car ever was because they wanted to virtue signal to their peers that they were 'woke' or some other such nonsense.

I agree with Rob, can we get this post locked or deleted? And further, with Dieselgate in the rearview can we get that forum closed down permanently?

I think it's inconsistent that a forum that really stands in denigration to a technology celebrated by the existence of TDIclub is allowed to continue on.

It's over, let's be done with it, if it was a Dr Suess book cancel culture would be all over it and it would be gone.

Just My .02

Steve

nwca

TDI
99 beetle tdi, 2003 golf TDI, 2003 beetle cabrio
The early ones vibrated themselves into pieces. And had all kinds of head issues. Like so many things from GM, they got it right, eventually.
Gm built the 700r4 with a sunshell that was like 10 gauge thick. If it didn't take the transmission out it was certain cracked when you when to rebuild it. They made this for like 10+ years, never "fixing" it. I'm sure it made them a lot of money....

nwca

TDI
99 beetle tdi, 2003 golf TDI, 2003 beetle cabrio
I agree with the fact that diesel engines are more harmful to the environment if compared to petrol engines, but let's be honest, Volkswagen diesel engines are far better than American petrol engines, because a 1.8 Volkswagen diesel engine will last much longer than any American petrol engine, moreover, it will be even more powerful than a 3.0 petrol engine because most American cars are using old injection powered engines. Visit https://enginert.com/ if you want to find more.
Meh, you can't compare it in any simple formula.

A Hummer gets like 10 MPG at best, while the right Golf gets close to 50 mpg.

GM is proud of their $100,000 Electric Hummer, but you could have built 5 leafs with the resources wasted on that one hummer....

I owned a 1995 Civic VX (non cali model) and got around 62 MPG. The Cali model gutted it and wouldn't allow the wide band 02 sensor, so it was around 50 MPG. Then the EPA came and it "rerated" the MPG scheme and made it look like it only got 50 MPG (48 version). Anyone who ever owned one knew 55+MPG was the norm.

Point being is MPG should have mattered as much as parts per million....its all about how you look at it. Some gassers did a great job (Civic VX, and even had TWO airbags in mine!). But were rarely bought...(sadly). Some diesels are great, but Cali cut their balls off to...

yet you could still buy your 10mpg hummer.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
'91 Jetta, '91 GTI, '04 Touareg
I pass by this thread every now-and-then since it keeps on chugging, handing that article any relevance it do not deserve. Whether you are looking into diesel variants out of Daimler Chrysler or the VW camp, their lack of success is largely scaled towards misconceptions; the dislike falls largely towards negative social stigma based upon the false idea that they are technologically inferior.

If you want to pick on a VW motor that is truly questionable, look no further than the new 2.0L's that are fitted into Tiguan's, etc...

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I pass by this thread every now-and-then since it keeps on chugging, handing that article any relevance it do not deserve. Whether you are looking into diesel variants out of Daimler Chrysler or the VW camp, their lack of success is largely scaled towards misconceptions; the dislike falls largely towards negative social stigma based upon the false idea that they are technologically inferior.

If you want to pick on a VW motor that is truly questionable, look no further than the new 2.0L's that are fitted into Tiguan's, etc...
Absolute junk...

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.