"Adjustable, Intermittent Wipers" on 2012 Passat TDI?

physicshogon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Hi guys

I'm having the darndest time getting the dealer to enable the "rain sensing wipers" feather on my 2012 TDI. The reasoning they keep giving me is that if they change anything that's set at the factory then it completely voids my warranty.

Side mechanics are afraid to touch it for the same reasons. From the information that I've found online, it's a pretty simple fix...yet no one is willing to do it.

The last person I spoke with today said to look at my sticker amd make sure it's a feather that I paid for. Well I took a look at the original sticker and it says "Adjustable, Intermittent Wipers with heated nozzles". I have the 2008 Passat as well and the feature actually works so I know the vehicle is capable of it.

P.S. I have the TDI SEL Premium...so the vehicle is supposed to have EVERY available feature.

Any recommendations from you guys? If so, please send me a private message here as I don't usually go back to check the forum boards. Thanks a bunch.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Adjustable Intermittent does not mean Rain Sensing Automatic.

It just means there are several levels of delay on your intermittent wipers.

If your window sticker does not explicitly say Rain Sensing wipers, then you don't have them.

For future reference, I just checked Vw.com and it does not appear rain sensing wipers is available on the passat, in any trim level.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
If your dealer is taking that stance I would leave them alone and look up a "trusted TDI mechanic" in the list here in the forums. Or even better yet buy your own cable from Ross Tech. I'll bet you can find more cool stuff to do with it to make it worth buying. Even helping other VW people diagnose their cars.

Ignoring the voided warranty stance, the dealer could still get in trouble with VWGoA. You want them to enable a feature that wasn't included and not paid for when you bought the car or when the dealer ordered the car.

I'll use another example to illustrate the point. The Mk IV cars could all show you service reminder and variable service interval, but when VWGoA decided what features to include that was left out to lower the cost. Remember they still "buy" the car from VWAG. So that feature was not turned on in the instrument cluster and the sensor not installed in the oil pan. Now we know that the cluster part is a simple change, and we can pay to install the sensor. I don't know if VWAG would ever push the issue if they found out, but that's just the facts as they exist.

Jason

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
it may not be available officially by VW but that doesn't mean the controller doesn't support it. I figure here in the US it isn't enabled, but in the ROW it is available and rather than engineer software multiple times, VW simply disabled it on US cars. That being said, I enabled it on mine and have had zero issues. It works great (along with the rain sensing window closing)... I would do a search and find a VCDS user in your area and you should be able to make it work... As far as warranty issues, unless the warranty claim is directly related to the wipers (ie, the wipers don't work) it shouldn't affect anything else.