Glow plug warning light flashing in 2001 Jetta TDI

shawnna

I have over 108,000 miles on my 2001 Jetta TDI and coming back to Seattle after a round trip drive to Los Angeles, the glow plug warning light began flashing and the cruise control quit (at the same time). I was about 50 miles from home so I just drove home. Started fine the next day with no flashing and cruise working. Then when I was driving to the airport (about 30 minutes from my house) the glow plug warning light began flashing again just as I arrived at the airport (didn't check the cruise as I was on city streets). What do you think? Could this be related to the brake problem I've read about? Anyone in the Seattle area have a Vag-com? Am a single mom with no $ to take it to the dealer right now - and not sure if I did, they would help.

By the way, the car seems to run just fine when it's flashing. I almost feel like the engine is just breaking in! Your insight is very much appreciated!

Braindead.

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta,00,silver
Yes it sounds very much like the problem many of us have had. As you probably know, VW issued a recall notice on the affected cars. Anyway, it's a cheap part and very easy to fix. If you don't want to fix it yourself, buy the part from VW and just ask any mechanic to change it for you. Odds are he'll do it for free--It's like changing a light bulb.

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
Could be just a burned out brake light or two (yes, really
). If not, probably the brake pedal switch. Have someone stand behind the car and check the action of the lights.

tditier

TDI
1996 passat sedan tdi green
I had a glowplug lamp flash then stay on

I had a gpl flash while driving then went to onsteady. After restart low power no cel 99,5 jetta tdi thanks ?