Thoughts on buying a used tdi

DPCardoza

TDI
None yet
2003 Golf 4 Door TDI with GTI Recaro Seats

http://sacramento.en.craigslist.org/cto/4428282646.html

ImI'm totally new here but figured this would be a good spot to get opinions on buying a used tdi. I'm gonna go take a look at this one tomorrow. Assuming itdrives well and the clutch and tranny are smooth is there anything else I should look closely at? He says he had the timing belt changed about 180k and has most service records. If would also like opinions on the price. I'm thinking of offering 5k hoping to get him down around 5500 or so.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Too little info and too much money. If it's a typical VW it'll probably need suspension and rear axle bushings, maybe brakes, the already mentioned timing belt, the clutch is probably near the end of its life, probably an intake cleaning, injector nozzles are tired, and, if experience is any judge, some surprise repair like an injection pump or turbo. If you're not doing the work and you want to bring a car like this to 100% you could easily spend $3K on parts and labor. I'd say it's worth $4K tops unless a lot of what I mention is already done.

DPCardoza

TDI
None yet
Thanks, it seems like this is right around price point or at least asking price here in nor cal. Is there a good reference thread with known issues that might help a person know what to ask or look for when buying a used tdi. I'm looking to buy over the next couple months and want to avoid dealerships because of inflated prices and little maintenence history available.

keaton85

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4
Start googling! as there are tons of topics on just what you are looking for. The quick run down:

Turbo vanes sticking
Timing belt done on time and correctly
clogged intake
Glow plug harness
Injection pump leaking

those are the basics for the TDI, then all the rest is just like any normal car as in:
Clutch issues
suspension
brakes
and the list goes on like ANY used vehicle

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
cheesy blingy wheels are usually a sign that more important things that actually matter are in poor shape

kcunniff

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS BEW (5spd)
If the seller cannot provide you with a detailed service history that includes receipts for parts and/or work performed, I would suggest continuing your vehicle search.

CerveloRod

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Jet Black
Funny how the only pictures are of the body and the front seats. How dirty is the engine compartment, he may not know because he's never opened the hood to see what's under there...

I agree the price is pretty high, unless he has a folder full of receipts, and hopefully from a guru not the stealership..

DPCardoza

TDI
None yet
Ask enough questions here and you'll never buy one.
I'm not exactly sure what that means but thanks. I've drove several and have feel in love with the way they drive. I commute 85 miles a day so really need something that gets great milage. I'm taking my time trying to find a good deal. Every car has specific things you should ask about above and beyond the normal stuff. That's why I'm here. Who better to ask then fanatics.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Things to look for on higher milage TDIs :

1. Recent timing belt service. If they don't provide a receipt don't believe them!
2. General maintenance performed like fluid changes.
3. Any "break down" maintenance like alternator or power steering pump.
4. Any suspension work like ball joints, tie rods, lower control arms and/or bushings.
5. Quality of paint and Interior. I seriously consider these BC if the current owner hasn't kept the paint nice and glossy by washing it and the interior is full of stains then how diligent were they with maintenance?
6. If your gut instinct tells you to run or the current owner pressures you, RUN! There are plenty of TDIs to be had, one will find you if you're looking.

As for the car in question, too little is known to value it. In my area, that price is on the high side.