What is this on the ALH engine??

jyhuh28

TDI
Red 2001 Jetta TDI 5sp, Blue 2001 Jetta TDI 5sp, 01 Green Jetta TDI 4sp, 02 Silver TDI auto
I saw a 01 TDI on our auction lot. I have a TDI same yr already. The one I saw in the lot has a huge fuel filter located not left front of engine but middle front of engine. Just curious on what it could be. it's about 3x the size of a regular fuel filter

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Ummmm... there's an oil filter in the front center of the engine... its got a 17 sided flat cap on it...other than that maybe its a secondary filter for WVO?

jyhuh28

TDI
Red 2001 Jetta TDI 5sp, Blue 2001 Jetta TDI 5sp, 01 Green Jetta TDI 4sp, 02 Silver TDI auto
Ummmm... there's an oil filter in the front center of the engine... its got a 17 sided flat cap on it...other than that maybe its a secondary filter for WVO?
yea looks like it's a veggie car. I was looking for a tank in the trunk so I didn't think it was wvo.... until.... i saw it said veggie on the fuel filter lol

need4speed

Veteran Member
There was a conversion floating around, to use an aftermarket fuel filter from a diesel tractor (or something like that). The supposed advantage was that the filter was easier to change, and much cheaper, and had an element that supposedly had better characteristics (particle size) than the OEM setup.

So this does not mean that it's a veggie car.

The way to tell if it's a veggie car, would be if there was a secondary tank, and ESPECIALLY, some heating mechanism to heat the secondary fuel line. (usually, this is a diversion from the radiator, with some copper tube that will wrap around the fuel-line - you start the car on diesel, get it warmed up, and about 5 minutes later, you can switch-over to veggie-oil. I had a friend who converted his Mercedes like this).

jyhuh28

TDI
There was a conversion floating around, to use an aftermarket fuel filter from a diesel tractor (or something like that). The supposed advantage was that the filter was easier to change, and much cheaper, and had an element that supposedly had better characteristics (particle size) than the OEM setup.

So this does not mean that it's a veggie car.

The way to tell if it's a veggie car, would be if there was a secondary tank, and ESPECIALLY, some heating mechanism to heat the secondary fuel line. (usually, this is a diversion from the radiator, with some copper tube that will wrap around the fuel-line - you start the car on diesel, get it warmed up, and about 5 minutes later, you can switch-over to veggie-oil. I had a friend who converted his Mercedes like this).
yea i looked for a secondary tank but couldnt find any. there is a copper looking filter on one of the fuel lines but anyway.... i have a strong feeling it is a veggie car. is there any downsides to owning a veggie car?

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
If it stinks like rancid oil it's a veggie car. Run, run away. Too much base knowledge to ignore here. Search for WVO failure.

But, could you post a pic? Might it be an oversized oil filter? I had installed the DieselGeek Amsoil OF and it was great.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
if you can get it cheap, as in like $500, go for it

if not, then avoid it.
Ever have to clean a stove vent hood, or even better one above a deep fryer? Now imagine that **** everywhere fuel gets on your car.
noooothankyou

That said, I run waste transmission oil in one of my trucks and it seems to do okay. The hard starting goes away as soon as I put pump fuel in it and back the timing off to a more normal amount of advance.

merk

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta sedan, 03 silver wagon
what would be the risk if i may ask? seems to run well when i cranked it
The risks are many: 1. the reason for selling it is they already screwed it up by running veg improperly. 2. proper or not, there still could be damage to multiple engine functionality. Stuck rings, compromised engine lubrication, fouled injectors, clogged catalytic converter, IP damage, etc....
3. Spillage of veg that turns to glue once in the air.

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 253K, 01M, DLC520s, VNT-17(sold); 2014 Passat SE 6M, 61,000 miles (Feb 16 buyback date)
yes. run away. not worth the risk.
Even done "correctly" WVO causes issues. Most of the time, the owner tries to do things right, but there is more mis-information than good out there. Read the links in my sig. That is first hand experience

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yea, the MKIV VE seemed like a good candidate for a waste oil burner.
Turned out they are not.