Flashing glow plug light after 5 miles?

ourkid

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk3
I'm doing exactly the same trip every day and i get the same fault at the same place so i'm guessing it's related to engine temp.My glow plug light starts flashing then after another half mile the car cuts out.I only have to leave it a few minutes and it will startup again,no flashing light and run perfectly,only to repeat a few miles down the road:mad:

I usually have vag-com but can't get hold of it this week.Anyone else experienced this?.The car starts and runs perfectly otherwise,no smoke,pulls well.

I thought it may be related to the temp sensor as my dash gauge was dead and my glow plugs used to stay on for ages in the morning.A new sensor has cured both these issues but not the cutting out:(

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
A couple of questions.

First, when it "cuts out", does the engine come to a complete stop, or does it drop to idle with no affect from the accelerator pedal?

Also, when you try to start it right after it "cuts out", does the gp light come on and the engine just spin?

ourkid

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk3
Yes,you have described my symptoms exactly!.It actually starts to loose throttle response for a few seconds then just cuts out altogether.If i try to restart immediately it won't.After about 3-4 mins it fires right up!

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
If the gp light does not come on when you try to restart, and the starter motor turns the engine but no catching, it's probably time for a new "main power relay" - or relay 109. At least that's what I'd suggest if you were in NA,not sure about the electronics of a Mk3 Golf - I assume it's the same as our Mk3 Jetta's.

ourkid

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk3
Thanks!

I had a feeling you were onto something so i checked some of your old posts.Seems like i do have a classic 109 issue.Luckily i have 2 spare in my box of bits.I've just replaced it for one of the large black ones.It started up fine,i'll just see how it goes in the morning;)

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
haha, my trouble was a relay and yours is too, i think they prefer to stay in the mk3 chassis, what do you recon? lol

If it's not sorted let me know!

ourkid

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk3
:D

Still having problems with this.I manged to get it on VCDS today and the only fault it showed was the brake light switch - surely that would not cause this?(the brake lights work ok so it must be the switch itself).

With my replacement relay i thought i had cured it as it went twice as far today but just stalled again:mad:

Not sure what to look at next?

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
The brake pedal switch does cause the glow plug light to flash, it did in on Scott's Polo, sometimes the brake lights would still work, other times they wouldn't.

Swapped the switch and problem solved!

It can also kill the engine (as the switch controls the lights, but also cuts power to the engine when braking), so this COULD be causing the stalling problem, or you could be searching for months. If you luck is the same as mine, it wont be the switch :confused:

ourkid

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk3
Thanks mate - vag com says 1 then switches to 001 .I'm assuming it should switch 1 then 000?

Does this mean the switch is sticking or poorly adjusted?.Silly question,i have 2 switches on the brake pedal,is it the top one or the bottom i should be checking?.Could someone please explain the prcedure for adjusting it?