2010 TDI Glow Plug Light Flashing

Tom Gilb

TDI
2010 Jetta White Manual Sedan
My 2 month old Jetta TDI with 2,100 miles had the glow plug light flashing after I started it the other day. I turned the car off and restarted and the light went out and hasn't reappeared since. The car seems to be running fine. I emailed the dealer and he said there was a fault that should be diagnosed. I'm thinking it went off and unless it reappears all is ok. Does anyone have any ideas on this? I was wondering if maybe I started the car before the light went out?

What should I do? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
Better safe than sorry. Have the dealer check for error codes while it is under warranty. Maybe just a loose wire, but who wants to get stuck on the side of the road?

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
Starting the car before the glow plug light goes off isn't the cause. Your dealer now has a written record that you got an idiot light, and has recommended to you that you get the fault code read. If you ignore this and something else goes wrong, its the kind of thing VWoA might use to void your warranty. Get the fault code read by your dealer. Knowing is better than wondering.

car1car

My 2001 Golf had the blinking glowplug light intermittently, until I replaced the glowplug harness; your much newer cars very likely have some other "idiot light function" with the light. I would however, recommend getting one of the cheap car-specific code scanners (once your warranty expires at least); these (Autel and others) can be bought for ~40-$50, will read any error codes, ABS, and will clear the codes. Or you can borrow one from the autoparts stores. If anything, they're worth it to keep the dealer just a bit "honest" when you take your car in for repairs.

mk5mike

TDI
2010 golf tdi(dsg)
got the car back last tuesday. drives just fine. why is it that vw always seams to have little issue like this. buddy of mine just got a tdi cup editon brand new saterday and drove back from DC to newport news, about 150miles and the CEL came on and its at the local dealership right now.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
All new cars have little problems some more then others.My problem with the dealers they stock very little in TDI parts.