New to forum and TDI!

PoCult7

TDI
N/A
Hello all. New to the forums and I've never owned a VW TDI, let alone a Vdub. I'm from Iowa so if there are any members from this state that could help me or point me in the right direction (mechanics, etc.)

I'd like to learn how to work on the car myself, but I only know how to do simple maintenance. I've seen a few DIY threads, which is nice.

This coming fall I will be looking for a Jetta TDI, I've read on here that the 2000-2003s are the best in terms of engine reliability, I don't know if that's true or not since the only engines I'm familiar with are the 3800 Series II.

I've looked on Craigslist and random car selling sites and I've seen maybe 3-4 in my area and only one of them was the one I was looking for, but it had 200,000+ mileage on it. Is this normal? Could I replace the engine or would it be better to get a newer TDI? So many questions and I have a ton more, I just can't think of any at the moment.

I guess what I need to know is the need to know about TDIs. Best year (I know it's all relative, but opinions are still valid to me), maintenance costs, highly recommended mods, availability (take what I find or wait). Essentially that. Sorry for the novel thanks for reading!

TL;DR I'm a newb and I have no idea about TDIs. (By the way, yes I can drive a manual and those are the only transmissions I'm looking for).